54 Gertie
14 years ago
Car looked great today. 😎
William
Rhodrich
13 years ago
My '51 has now left the country....... 😞

Sold to Belgium yesterday.

Now I just need to find the RHD Pre-67 Karmann Cabriolet to replace it.
Something that's seemingly impossible to find, unless you're happy with a shed or a project......
55Kab
13 years ago

Now I just need to find the RHD Pre-67 Karmann Cabriolet to replace it.
Something that's seemingly impossible to find, unless you're happy with a shed or a project......

Rhodrich wrote:

Yep, especially if it's a UK RHD car you're after - which I presume it is?

There was a UK RHD 55 on the Samba a month or so back which was shipped to the US a few year ago. We know it needs work and was up for serious money. I've got the seller's details if you're interested.

Rhodrich
13 years ago

Yep, especially if it's a UK RHD car you're after - which I presume it is?

There was a UK RHD 55 on the Samba a month or so back which was shipped to the US a few year ago. We know it needs work and was up for serious money. I've got the seller's details if you're interested.

55Kab wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=983950 

UserPostedImage

At $32,000 plus shipping & import tax, it's a bit over budget......

Shame it's been lowered 😞
55Kab
13 years ago
Yep, that's the one. Pricey yes, but in terms of UK car's, rarer than a Hebmuller :!: and the lowering is easily fixed.

Do you want to take on a project Rich? Or want a running car?

Rhodrich
13 years ago
I really want a running car, as having a 4 month old child, I just don't have the time now for a project. That said, I don't mind something that's been sitting for a while that just needs a few weekends worth of work to get it back on the road.

I'd be happy with anything up to 1970, if you know of anything - want to avoid 1302's or 1303's.

I've seen quite a few projects, in various states of repair, but it would be nice to find something that was at least driveable, with solid heater channels/strengtheners.....

I know of a UK '58 that's for sale that's been off the road for the past 10 years, but it's only through a second hand source, who wants to buy it himself to turn a quick profit. :evil:

Cars I've seen so far:

A '65 that turned out to be rotten, badly patched, and on a '61 saloon floorpan.
A '66 that had been taken off the road about 5 years ago, stripped down, and then left under a tarp in someone's back garden with no paint.
A RHD converted '68 that had been fitted with early panels, that had been built up to be a German looker, with a great deal of work still to do.
A '64 that looked suspiciously like a '70, which had a lot of neat 'custom' touches, and generally looked dodgy, and was probably a ringer.
A '71 1302 (I was getting desparate) that was 'while not concours, one of the nicest in the country), that turned out to have rather large holes in the ends of each heater channel, and nasty patch welding and fresh underseal over the underside.
A '78 1303 (Really desparate!), being sold by the original owner, with 60,000 miles from new, full history, and garaged from new. Didn't stop it being a patched up old rot box underneath.

Perhaps I'm just being too picky. I'm sure I'll find something eventually!
55Kab
13 years ago

Perhaps I'm just being too picky

Rhodrich wrote:

Interesting read above and no I don't think you're being too picky it's just what your after is few and far between.

I know of a couple of cars but don't know if they are still for sale and for what money, I'll investigate.

Probably worth putting a wanted ad on Vzi because a lot of people in the hobby look at those ads.

Will keep my ear to the ground.

Rhodrich
13 years ago
Thanks!

Wanted thread already on VZi. Lots of 1302's and 1303's offered but not much else!