monstermoo
13 years ago
Does anyone know where I can get a new accelerator pedal shaft seal for our 1960?

Its the one that fits into the side of the tunnel and is kind of an oval shape with a mushroom style plug at each end and a hole in the middle to allow the shaft to pass through the tunnel to the accelerator cable on the other side.

Thanks

Steve
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
monstermoo
13 years ago
Sorry, this is probably in the wrong section - can a mod please move it :oops:
pre67vw
13 years ago
Good a place as any!! :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Can you get a photo of where you mean, none of this is ringing any bells.

In the passenger footwell? (assumed RHD..)

:beer:
William
monstermoo
13 years ago
It's in the driver footwell (RHD).

I'll get some pics tonight and post them up.

Thanks
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Its not a seal its a bush.The shaft rotates in it.Never seen them in a parts book but i bet its the same as a late model one so try heritage vw.

54 Gertie
13 years ago

Its not a seal its a bush.The shaft rotates in it.Never seen them in a parts book but i bet its the same as a late model one so try heritage vw.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Ah! I know what you mean now.
William
monstermoo
13 years ago
That would make sense, as I've seen those bushes in the pedal repair kits available.

BUT, this looks nothing like a bush....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

and this is where it came from - note the two smaller holes either side of the main one, for the mushroom type plugs shown in picture 2 above....

UserPostedImage

:?
54 Gertie
13 years ago
OH! :lol:

I always wondered what the two other holes were for. :oops:
William
monstermoo
13 years ago
Well, if it's any consolation it looks like our bug has got the seal - but no bush!:lol:

I presume there's only meant to be one bush though - on the pedal side?
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Well, if it's any consolation it looks like our bug has got the seal - but no bush!:lol:

I presume there's only meant to be one bush though - on the pedal side?

monstermoo wrote:

I assume so, but what do I know about pedals? Nothing it seems. :lol:
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Used on RHD pedal clusters from Mid-April 1962. RHD only. Part number 114 721 391.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
monstermoo
13 years ago

Used on RHD pedal clusters from Mid-April 1962. RHD only. Part number 114 721 391.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Thanks Rich, so does that mean our '60 has had the central tunnel replaced at some point with a later version?

I had another look last night and what I thought was the bush mentioned above, turns out to be a pedal roller for later models.

Can anyone confirm exactly what I need here? Again, part numbers would be great (can I order these parts from VW direct?)

As it stands I've got the pedal assembly off, it been cleaned and sprayed ready for re-fitting, but this is holding me up:(

Thanks again
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
My mistake. The part was used from the 1958 model year onwards. The 1965 parts manual is a little unclear about this, so I checked my 1960 parts manual and it has the part listed for chassis number 1 600 440 onwards.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
monstermoo
13 years ago
That's a relief :lol:

Was there also supposed to be a bush mounted at this position - I presume it would sit behind the rubber seal?
MARKYSTEW
13 years ago
Any luck finding a new grommet? as i need one too.
monstermoo
13 years ago

Any luck finding a new grommet? as i need one too.

MARKYSTEW wrote:

Sadly, no.:(

six-o-one
13 years ago
I managed to find a NOS one a few years ago and I don't think anyone does a repro (yet)?