UserPostedImage

Tell us more Ivan!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Ivan
13 years ago
I had been keeping it quiet, but the cat is out of the bag now! The car is the 1952 Kab which was restored by Rheinhold Plank in Italy between '95 and '97 for an old friend of mine called Sean Geddes. Sean lives in Italy and only gets back to the UK for about two weeks of the year, so the car had only done about 800 Kilometres since the restoration was completed in 1997. The last time it was used was 2002 - as Sean couldn't get it started and didn't have time to get it looked at - but had worked out it wasn't getting fuel at the carb.
https://www.maxted-page.com/cars/default.aspx 
Anyway, about three months ago Sean and I met up to see what the car was like now. It needed a fair bit of work! The fuel system needed to be totally gone through. The fuel had gone off turned to a brown tar like substance. This was in the fuel tank, the reserve tap, the fuel lines, pump and carb. I spent 27 hours alone cleaning the tank out. The problem was made a lot worse by the fact the tank had been lined with a rubberized tank liner and when I used acetone to loosen the petrol it loosened the liner too! A total nightmare!
The clutch was useless so the engine had to come out, the brake system needed a total rebuild (tried getting a rebuild kit for 16mm wheel cylinders lately? Thanks to the help of George Lloyd who supplied me with a rear wheel cylinder and was in on the fact the car was going to be coming back out of hiding). The wiper switch had mysteriously decided to self-destruct (Thanks to David Butterfly in California who gave me a NOS switch!). The electrical system had to be gone through - just from sitting around for so long too.
My good friend Carl Maher sorted out the mechanical work - he's got a 1952 Sedan - the goal being to get the car to VW Action. Webster and Lancaster in Watford got the job of detailing it. The car had been sitting for so long the paint had gone very flat, all the exterior trim had gone off and the underside needed three days work to get it back to 'concours'.
It was right up to the wire - I collected the car on Friday and drove straight to VW Action. Only a couple of people knew it was likely to be at the show. I did not want to enter it in to the show as I am not interested and I don't think it looks good if the bloke from the magazine wins an award, but the organisers were very insistent - so I agreed as they wanted to display the car in the main marquee so people could have a good look at it. Anyway, they stitched me right up as they got me to hand out the awards and then when it came to the Best of Show 'Europe's Most Beautiful Beetle' award they awarded it to the Kabriolett. I wasn't expecting it, and it floored me! I wasn't happy I'd been stitched up, but I was happy that the car had one as it is a great piece of work by all involved.

Oh, and it didn't miss a beat all weekend. But then, it is a Volkswagen!

P.S. Rich, you were right! 🙂
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Very nice ,i saw this at Action and couldnt quite beleive what i was seeing. The tent was full of people bidding so i couldnt get round it .Unusual colour, was it lowered when you bought it ? or more to the point are you going to?
Ivan
13 years ago

Very nice ,i saw this at Action and couldnt quite beleive what i was seeing. The tent was full of people bidding so i couldnt get round it .Unusual colour, was it lowered when you bought it ? or more to the point are you going to?

Sunroof53 wrote:

Not lowered - and never will be! Colour scheme is Karmann correct.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Thanks for the write up Ivan. Got a real beauty there.

Say - any chance I can get some mags with my car in! All I ever got was a torn open empty envelope. The only copy I have seen was a coffee(?) stained one, that I stole from Funky Pete.
UserPostedImage
dp
  • dp
  • Regular
13 years ago
Congratulations on such a simply stunning car! Always wanted a set of that period correct aluminium wiing beading.
GKL 7
13 years ago

Say - any chance I can get some mags with my car in! All I ever got was a torn open empty envelope. The only copy I have seen was a coffee(?) stained one, that I stole from Funky Pete.

JD wrote:

Goto the back issues page - Tight Arss:lol:
Ivan
13 years ago

Congratulations on such a simply stunning car! Always wanted a set of that period correct aluminium wiing beading.

dp wrote:

It's bonkers - you have to polish the wing beading! George would rather have had the decklid vent trims.

If we have any copies left here in the office - NO PROBLEM James! I will check.
andylham
13 years ago
seen this at action a very nice car with alot of cool parts on it especially the wing beading and vert decklid trims

i dont see any problem with a employe of a magazine winning a award if the cars good enough as this clearly was it should get a award and i`m sure most would agree with this wish it was in my garage (but lowered and narrowed :wink: )

DBKUK
pre67vw
13 years ago

i dont see any problem with a employe of a magazine winning a award if the cars good enough as this clearly was it should get a award and i`m sure most would agree with this

andylham wrote:

I understand where Ivan's coming from, he's asked to judge a few shows and isn't just an employee of the magazine he's the editor. However, I'm glad he got stitched up and won the award :lol: It's great when a STOCK early VW wins an award regardless of the owner!! Add into it the fact that Ivan does so much to help the hobby (and always champions the stock cause equally as much as others) I don't think this car could be in better hands (except mine) :wink:

:beer: 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

P.S. Rich, you were right! 🙂

Ivan wrote:

I always am :wink:

Really glad you got it and I look forward to seeing it again in the near future. Are you taking it to the REME museum in a couple of weeks?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Ivan
13 years ago

I always am :wink:

Really glad you got it and I look forward to seeing it again in the near future. Are you taking it to the REME museum in a couple of weeks?

Rich Oakley wrote:

I do plan to, yes! After all if it wasn't for that Ivan this Ivan probably wouldn't have the life he loves so much!
That coupled with the fact it's only about an hour away from my home. Actually, scratch that... it's more like and hour and a half in the kab! 🙂
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Add into it the fact that Ivan does so much to help the hobby (and always champions the stock cause equally as much as others

pre67vw wrote:

Oh and of course and not to help himself:roll:

Vintage VWs are the guys bread and butter his employment, the editor of a leading old Volkswagen magazine. If the interest in old VWs dies so does his job, which provides him with the means, (like seen elsewhere on this forum with other 'enthusiasts'), to open his wallet and get the VW he wants.

I'm sure Ivan is a decent person but please, this brown-nosing is really off-putting and probably embarassing for the man.:x

Want to admire someone regarding vintage VWs here, Last Triumph is the one with his late night detailed oval rebuild (53 - 57 forum). How does he find the time for the rebuild and update his amazingly detailed thread.:beer:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

Vintage VWs are the guys bread and butter his employment, the editor of a leading old Volkswagen magazine. If the interest in old VWs dies so does his job, which provides him with the means, (like seen elsewhere on this forum with other 'enthusiasts'), to open his wallet and get the VW he wants.

I'm sure Ivan is a decent person but please, this brown-nosing is really off-putting and probably embarassing for the man.:x

Want to admire someone regarding vintage VWs here, Last Triumph is the one with his late night detailed oval rebuild (53 - 57 forum). How does he find the time for the rebuild and update his amazingly detailed thread.:beer:

Ovaltine wrote:

Oh FFS. How embarassing.:oops:
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
13 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

The stock/vintage part of the hobby is tiny compared to the number of enthusiasts who like lowered/cal-look/drag race/beach buggies and looking at the size of events such as bug jam and VW action it doesn't look like interest is dying off at all - Ivan could easily neglect the stock fans and still have a popular magazine and make his living, yet in each issue of Volksworld there is a stock feature car, Bob Shaills column and Retro stuff from Peter Noad. Also shows like Hessisch and Camberg get good covereage in the mag, not just a single page write up. So I'd say he does champion the stock side of the hobby as much as the others, now he even owns a stock vintage VW as well - surely a good sign!

Ovaltine wrote:

The Last Triumph thread is awesome and no mistake.

Oh FFS. How embarassing.:oops:

JD wrote:

x2 :oops:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Ivan
13 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

You speak a lot of truth, of course it is in my interest for Vintage VWs to remain in the public eye and for interest in them to continue.
However... This doesn't allow me to open my wallet and get what I want. If only!!
Years and years of hard work, ducking and diving, saving and a very understanding bank manager is what it takes.
I've always been into Vintage VWs, and owned plenty from Ovals, Lowlights and many stock 60's six volters along with a lovely Crew Cab and a stock 21 window.
20 years ago, I couldn't have even dreamed that one day I'd own the car being discussed here. But I've made it happen for myself and I'm over the moon.
I knew the car before it was restored, I made sure it was featured in 1998 and I ALWAYS dreamed of owning it. Ask Sean how many times I told him I'd love to own it over the years.
I kept it quiet about owning it, as I know there's a large element of our little world that would immediately think 'cheque book' and obviously, I didn't want to be tarred with that brush.
I've always been admired people with really lovely VWs - especially a Rometsch, Heb or Schwimmer, but I don't look at them and think they own them because they haven't earned the right. I'd rather see someone who has gone all out to own the car of their dreams and for it to be a VW. I'll never point a negative finger in their direction.
Oh, and by the way - Last Truimph's thread is cool - I am sure I commented as such on the thread. And, as I have said earlier in this thread, after 8 years in a lock-up, the Kab shared many of the same problems. And much though I tried, I couldn't get it back on the road in time for Peppercorn!

Thanks for the kind words.
Ivan
13 years ago
Also, I was desperate to get the car to VW Action as not enough Vintage VWs make it to the show. the fact it took Best of Show is good for the Vintage scene, IMHO
55Kab
13 years ago
Congratulations on opening your "chequebook"... :lol:

Seriously, great car and it's good to have one as nice as this in the UK and out and about at UK events.

I look forward to my ride to BC in it :!: :wink: :beer: (sorry Rich, a 52 Karmann is cooler than a 47 hardtop :lol: )

GKL 7
13 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

You must be Standardsplit in disguise.Let's hope you go the same way.

I've witnessed Ivan in this hobby for years,tho' we only really met a few years ago.I am embarrassed by your comments Ovaltine. Totally out of order.
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Congratulations on opening your "chequebook"... :lol:

(sorry Rich, a 52 Karmann is cooler than a 47 hardtop :lol: )

55Kab wrote:

I am lucky to have best of both worlds :d although neither of my cars are in the same league today :lol:

Welcome to the pre Oct '52 Karmann club Ivan :beer: not many of us in the UK. Beautiful car, I have wanted to see it in the flesh since it was in Volksworld all those years ago, I've not met Sean but Reinhold is a lovely guy (with a very cool Heb)8)

Look forward to seeing the car at the REME meet, just down the road from me !