chthemonkey
13 years ago
hi
i picked up a good but very dirty with grease and dirt like a crust
i cleaned up the beam thinking there would be some stamps with him saying it was from a 1952 bug so i took of the steering box and started cleaning and found nothing so i started on the steering box and that has 47.01 stamped on and it looks like someones had the top of in the past because the bolts were only half way in. to me it looks like a jan 47 stamp can anyone confirm this . i will get some pics on tonight the works computer wont let me load any pics up.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
chthemonkey
chthemonkey
13 years ago
the top pic is one he sent as you can see covered in c$!p and the bottom pic on my work bench (wheely bin) is the steering box off the beam.
Spooky
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
The beam and steering box appear to be off an Oval or pre-1961 Beetle. It's not a short-shock Split Bug beam.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
chthemonkey
13 years ago
the beam has the longer bumpstop arms and short shock towers and doesent look to have ever been welded or have the locating studs for the steering box and ive seen for sale some 52 beams with short shock towers and some with the larger later style towers so im guessing its from before then as thesambe show stamp codes starting in 1952 and this hasnt got one
Hebster52
13 years ago
Not sure I understood your question.. :lol:

The beam in the first picture is a shortshock beam. The shortshock beams have a "framenumber" stamped in one of the bumpstops.
The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
13 years ago
There's no "nipples" on split beams either.

UserPostedImage

The HebsterWerks.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
My mistake. It is a short shock beam. If I stand on my head and view the first picture, it definitely is a short shock one.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
chthemonkey
13 years ago
I'll have a look at the bump stop arms i havernt cleaned the s$!t off that area yet and let you know what i find