69project
13 years ago
after my 51 went i told myself to buy a complete car with an mot and already on the road,as another hassle resto just wasnt what i needed...i contemplated a trekker but couldnt find one,nearly bought a 63 but it wasnt og paint,so in a rush of excitment one sunday night i bought this...

UserPostedImage

decided i wanted a bit of the summertime again after having golf cabriolets a few years ago and wanted to feel the wind blow over my bald head...

first problem was she was in the west country and the day of delivery(august 8th)was about the wettest ever.i waited for hours and the expected time came and went,it transpires that the poor sods had been stuck doing 40-50mph the whole way due to poor conditions and it had taken them 8 hours and they still had a westy roof to drop off on there way back!considering it had been out in the rain for the hole day the ragtop hadnt leajed and the car was all nice and dry inside.

so what had i got for my money...well a near enough complete 59 garnet red ragtop with a very faded paint,quite a few holes and some bad modifications!

seems owen warlow had imported the car originally and then it was prepped in anticipaton of being a drag car(will get to there idea of prep later!)

to make myself feel better i thought id make the old girl look a bit better first(mainly to assure myself that it would),this involved removing the additional indicators and getting the tcut out and treating the paint to four coats then a further four coats of wax.the results were pretty good considering it was all done by hand and that the cars paint ressembled a dark shade of flat pink on arrival!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

i then decided to remove the ropey 12v engine that the car came with

UserPostedImage

which will soon be replaced with...my recent ebay purchase

UserPostedImage

all the wings were then removed and i really got to see how bad things were...bad!

on inspection found rhs heater channel to be shot as well as front bulkhead,inner wings,rhs rear floor the list goes on!

whilst i tried to ignore the holes i got stuck into the wiring and changed somebody elses mods to put the wiring back to normal and managed to get the semaphores and most over electrical items to now work

i will add more bumph(i not quite up to last triumphs level)but few other bits briefly done have been,replacing door handle/fitting new hood release/fixing bootlid/removig grease from bootlid.fitting 6v starter motor/and more i cant remember

as we speak car is in the gargage and has had the body removed from floorplan,new floor sections are already in as well as heater channel and footwell sectons(will add pics 2mrw)

will keep this rolling when i have a bit more time

Car less.....
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Great score - sunroof and a nice and unusual colour.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
69project
13 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Car less.....
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Looks a great project. Do love Garnet Red,was pretty chuffed to find my own Garnet Red 59 Ragtop. Also a Swedish Import. Keep us updated
55Kab
13 years ago
Can't beat a small window ragtop bug. Keep us updated on how it's coming along.

69project
13 years ago
slowly as they say...

cut inner wing panels this morning(thanks paul),and hope to get tinware powder coated this week
Car less.....
Radair
13 years ago
Nice find ! , did this car come from the west mids?? Just that I looked at a collection last year that included a 58 rag in garnet red that the owners son was "converting" into a drag car , the car was in great shape apart from the slam beam he was bodging onto it! Was a real shame to see it like that, hope it is the same as it looks to have been saved !! :beer:
69project
13 years ago

Nice find ! , did this car come from the west mids?? Just that I looked at a collection last year that included a 58 rag in garnet red that the owners son was "converting" into a drag car , the car was in great shape apart from the slam beam he was bodging onto it! Was a real shame to see it like that, hope it is the same as it looks to have been saved !! :beer:

Radair wrote:

i think it is the same car as a bodged beam,and well hacked to pieces inner arches are still there for the moment,and drag racing was a story i was told too

the car has shown a few more issues now body is off but hey,ive started so i will finish!
Car less.....
69project
13 years ago
things have moved on this week,the body and shell were seperated...as it was easier to repair all the holes!

UserPostedImage

the rear rhs floor section was then replaced as well as jacking point on lhs removed

UserPostedImage

the rhs htr channel was then replaced as well as front areas that were beyond repair

UserPostedImage

as always with a bit of poking around you always find something,in this case the rear rhs chassis mount had been riveted back together and hidden by waxoyl...thanks!

UserPostedImage

then inner arches were sorted

UserPostedImage

as you can tell,its been a busy week,suspension is all back on(i know its the slamwerks beam again but im picking up a stock beam this week as a spare).brakes have all been replaced,the shoes were down to bare metal!

engine now ready to fit bar a few odds and sods

UserPostedImage

didnt stop ydy and bar a few bits we are hoping to get an mot by the end of next week

will also be getting a set of stock wheels/tyres so hopefully i can be at stanford hall line up...:shock:

UserPostedImage
Car less.....
69project
13 years ago
should have added a pre before inner wing repair,this was how car arrived!

UserPostedImage

and maybe this is clearer

UserPostedImage
Car less.....
69project
13 years ago
oh and musnt forget to thank tim and pete at kustom dubwerks in hockley essex for all there hard work!
Car less.....
TomF
13 years ago
Simon this is looking really good, keep up the good work!
Radair
13 years ago
Yep defo same car from the midlands!! Recognised those poor inner wings anywhere!(black paint) Glad its getting some help, really cool car! :beer:
69project
13 years ago

Yep defo same car from the midlands!! Recognised those poor inner wings anywhere!(black paint) Glad its getting some help, really cool car! :beer:

Radair wrote:

those poor inner wings are now not so poor! :wink:

its getting so much help that i should be driving it to mot station by end of the week,famous last words....lol!
Car less.....
harveypj
13 years ago
😎 I'm about this weekend Simon, so if it does work out and your in the neighbourhood....
I'll blow the cowebbs off the kettle:lol:
Stock......the new custom
69project
13 years ago

8) I'm about this weekend Simon, so if it does work out and your in the neighbourhood....
I'll blow the cowebbs off the kettle:lol:

harveypj wrote:

wondered where you had been hiding,look at all the bad things i get up to when you are not looking...lol

fingers crossed for that kettle,but hey its a vw so doesnt always go to plan :wink:
Car less.....
69project
13 years ago
UserPostedImage
Car less.....
69project
13 years ago
UserPostedImage
Car less.....
69project
13 years ago
semi busy week last week...

the lights now all eventually work,few earth issues that took a bit of headscratching to sort but if it was easy then everybody would be doing it!

the floorpans also have new paint but most of it ended up on my hands

handbrake keeps popping at the moment but it should be done soon

rough as a dog today so my plan for an mot this week may not happen...:cry:
Car less.....
69project
13 years ago
as like everybody else the snow has blighted me this week!

since my last posts the brakes have now been sorted as well as many of those tiny jobs like 356 washer jets and refitting bonnet

the engine has been the recent pain,bought unknown but very pretty off ebay it has had a few hissy fits.tried for a few days in vain to start but it wouldnt have none of it,stripped fuel pump but after playing around still no joy!

last gasp was to connect up a 12v battery and that finally fired her up on too find it was running on two cylinders due to faulty ht leads!

then tried to move and no drive....engine out to find flywheel/o ring seals leaking and clutch caked in oil,all sorted and now fine

only thing stopping me from driving it is an mot at the moment so fingers crossed the weather improves

any ideas of the spring that fits onto the accelater cable between carb and fan housing is appreciated!

si
Car less.....