GKL 7
  • GKL 7
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Maybe Prof Rich can tell us more about this one.
Shame it wasn't for sale before the mods were done(8 in narrowed beam:? )

Spitfire wings:?: That's a great part of the story.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=996408   3323036.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
I spoke to a guy called Peter Arnold a couple of years ago. He owned the car during the late 60s/1970s. He sent me the vintage pics that are being used in the ad. He used to restore old planes with his mates. The parts sticking out the sunroof are old Splitfire engine cowlings.

SLB was originally a Britsh Army car used in the Rhine area from 1951-1955/6.
The car was bought by a guy called Keith Walford in 1956. Not sure if it was Keith who imported it from Germany or not, but the car was definitely imported in '56. Keith was the first civilian owner of the car. Peter Arnold from Hertfordshire purchased it from Keith in 1965. The black and white photos were taken during Peter's ownership. Peter converted it from cable to hydraulic brakes, fitted 15" wheels and a synchro box. He also repaired the heater channel jacking point areas using concrete! Peter sold it in '73 to a military enthusiast who painted it in the green camo livery. I think it then changed hands a couple of times before ending up with a VW engine builder in Portsmouth. The current owner has had it a couple of years from what I reall and carried out the modifications. Sorry, that's all I know.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
69project
13 years ago
i keep looking at this but ive told myself that i must have a drivable car next year rather than just a box of bits!
Car less.....
mrsherbie
13 years ago

I think it then changed hands a couple of times before ending up with a VW engine builder in Portsmouth.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Tom S. bought it in the green military paint well over 10yrs ago, a guy called big Pete bought it around 2002ish? and was going to have it heavily modified, but it was bare metaled and then just left for years at said vw garage. Sinclair bought it.

It is an original and early sunroof car, quite a rare old beast. I thought the SLB plate had gone somehow but could be wrong?

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
  • GKL 7
13 years ago

He also repaired the heater channel jacking point areas using concrete!

Rich Oakley wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's very funny,but sad at the same time:?
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Tom S. bought it in the green military paint well over 10yrs ago, a guy called big Pete bought it around 2002ish? and was going to have it heavily modified, but it was bare metaled and then just left for years at said vw garage. Sinclair bought it.

It is an original and early sunroof car, quite a rare old beast. I thought the SLB plate had gone somehow but could be wrong?

mrsherbie wrote:

Yes, the SLB plate is now gone and it has an 'age related' plate.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's very funny,but sad at the same time:?

'50 Karmann wrote:

Tom S. told me about when that concrete was discovered, as it was having the heater channels done.

Repairer "You need to come down and see this...."
Tom S. "Why? Whats wrong..?"
Repairer "Just...just come down here. You´ll see..."

Well, you could state for a fact that the heater channels were totally solid.
Unfortunately, they were solid concrete.

Peter Arnold is still active with old planes. He wrote the book (literally) on all things Spitfire.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
  • GKL 7
13 years ago
@Rich did you ever come up with any leads on Tom Gulliver,i'm getting itchy feet here:wink:.

@Anna your pm box is full.
55Kab
13 years ago

Peter Arnold is still active with old planes. He wrote the book (literally) on all things Spitfire.

JD wrote:

Indeed. At one time he was restoring a rare late model Seafire (the real thing!) at his home and had it assembled across his and his neighbours front garden's!

55Kab
13 years ago

Yes, the SLB plate is now gone and it has an 'age related' plate.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Such a shame another car has lost its OG UK reg.

Some interesting photos of it here. Sadly, I think a bit more than bare metalling was done:

https://www.funkenblitz.com/inprogress.shtml 

Rich Oakley
13 years ago

@Rich did you ever come up with any leads on Tom Gulliver,i'm getting itchy feet here:wink:.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Unfortunately not.
SixtyFive
13 years ago

Such a shame another car has lost its OG UK reg.

Some interesting photos of it here. Sadly, I think a bit more than bare metalling was done:

https://www.funkenblitz.com/inprogress.shtml 

55Kab wrote:

ouch, some nice 70's panels!!! 😳
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

ouch, some nice 70's panels!!! 😳

SixtyFive wrote:

New Mexi panels actually. The original front panels were like lace.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
SixtyFive
13 years ago
yes :roll:
but the same details as 70's panels...
65deluxe
13 years ago
Does anyone know if this car is still available - I sent Sinclair a message and have had no reply .
I was also interested in year as the ad says E11 car - British army car etc - guessing this would be pre 49 - but it has pressings below rear window of a post 49 .
I want to get rid of the 61 - 66 - 67 I have and build a proper nice early car - have that sort of money for the correct "project"
Any Info would be greatfully recieved
Please check out 65 deluxe on Facebook to see all my work in one place
GKL 7
  • GKL 7
13 years ago

Does anyone know if this car is still available - I sent Sinclair a message and have had no reply .
I was also interested in year as the ad says E11 car - British army car etc - guessing this would be pre 49 - but it has pressings below rear window of a post 49 .
I want to get rid of the 61 - 66 - 67 I have and build a proper nice early car - have that sort of money for the correct "project"
Any Info would be greatfully recieved

65deluxe wrote:

It's a 1951.
Go to the Funkenbitz link posted earlier in this thread and look closely at the pictures.
If you are after building an original,stock car.This is not the one for you.
65deluxe
13 years ago

It's a 1951.
Go to the Funkenbitz link posted earlier in this thread and look closely at the pictures.
If you are after building an original,stock car.This is not the one for you.

'50 Karmann wrote:

]

Cheers - had a look on there after posting question .
I might have access to a genuine front end so not too Scary

Please check out 65 deluxe on Facebook to see all my work in one place