zelensis61
13 years ago
As I decided to go for it, I 'll post picts of the progress. Some will come quick, other will take longer. Due to lack of time I can only work in weekend once and a while. So progress will go slow.
I whould thank some hebowners who gave me some detailed picts and advise also for letting me take some dimensions.
The intake part is made out of 2 parts with assembled grills. I welded them to a pannel and from a mile away it looks good...for a blind man:roll: . I need to re-think the making of those section.

I know, I could buy all the parts from Dr D and I like them but then I will not end with a self made one? It will be a self welded one and whould be half satisfied.

Tips are welcome.:idea:
Meanwhile I also made some reinforcement parts that are more simple to make.

Greets.  IMG_0985.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0986.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0987.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0989.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  air intake 4c.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
zelensis61
13 years ago
Well, Obviously, I am not satisfied with the result. Why....look at the picts above. To much trouble for so less result.:evil:

But, I tried another way. So this is what I did.
Drilled holes 6mm , punched them deeper with a 10 mm conic punch over a drilled plate with 12 mm holes. This creates a "deep" hole of 10 mm.
Cut it in length in half, used one half on top, one below . Made out of flat sheetmetal strips some u-bars, cut them at length and welded them in the same wooden buck as the first try.
Grinded the welds and it looks better as the first attempt.
Made 2 halfs of the air intake and welded them in a plate with center bar....
We are getting there. Slow but sure, and surely slow. :roll:

Guess what? The angle of the air intake is sooooooo :oops: wrong.:evil:
I could kick myself.[-x
But Now I know how this can be done 😎 .  air intake 9.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  air intake 10.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  air intake 11.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  air intake 12.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  air intake 6.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
oldbugger
13 years ago
why didn't you you a larger piece of sheet metal  v3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  v1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  v5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  v10.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  v14.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
oldbugger
13 years ago
more  v18.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCN2678.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCN2900.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCN2895.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  june 13 151.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
13 years ago
That's fine work Old bugger.
oldbugger
13 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=rgd&show_results=summary   DSCN2896.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCN2666.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCN2653.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCN2663.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  parts 052.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
zelensis61
13 years ago
Thanks, For the advise...:beer:
Your car looks stunning and spot on. The last roof bow in wood however looks a bit to round. But then again, it is your car. Not mine. Wish I was that far for the moment that I could say....8) paint it.
But that is goint to far ahead.
The roof frame looks very simular to a real heb. Did you copied it from a real car? :?:

So when I looked at the air intake " take 2" I noticed the angle that was wrong.:? :evil:
Thus gave me no other option then to go for "take 3". :roll:
With the marvelous cossy weather now ( -8 ° celcius and 10 cm of snow in a non heated barn) I took the task to do it over. Working with iron is so nice for your hands in the cold[-x .

One difference....I tought , when I could punch the holes, I could bend the u-bars between...Why not do it in one piece....no welding or grinding.

Here are the picts.
The first pict is the try-out for the system, mould and contra mould on a wast sheetmetal. The other picts speak for themself. Now I am happy with the result.:lol:
 air intake 13.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  air intake 15.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  air intake 16.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0003.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0004.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
oldbugger
13 years ago
nicely done Peter . Did my best on the top bow as I have never seen a real heb in person just studied pics I built a few differt bows I was happy with the last one in the first pic  july28 012.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  july28 009.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  july28 023.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  parts 050.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
oval56
13 years ago
holy shit... peter, the sheet metal god... stunnig build of the reargutter:shock: :beer:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
heb623
13 years ago

The roof frame looks very simular to a real heb.
I noticed the angle that was wrong.:? :evil:

zelensis61 wrote:

Peter, that's why it's called a Hebmuller style type 14a made from stratch!!!
Very nice work, I am jalous to all the skilled work I see here but wouldn't it be better to open a special forum for this kind of cars?:lol:

:twisted: ET

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Very nice work, I am jalous to all the skilled work I see here but wouldn't it be better to open a special forum for this kind of cars?:lol:

heb623 wrote:

There's some skilled craftsmen in the vintage VW scene, no mistake. Its not going to be long before someone builds their own Beetle prototype as VW have now done :beer:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
heb623
13 years ago

Its not going to be long before someone builds their own Beetle prototype as VW have now done :beer:

Ovaltine wrote:

You?:shock:

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Ovaltine
13 years ago

You?:shock:

heb623 wrote:

Er, no...:?
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Next_Racer
13 years ago
Very nice work. I will follow you're built. It is nice to see someone is taking the time to think things over.
zelensis61
13 years ago
update:
After that I got the airintake fixed in a way I can live with, I attacked some sheet metal for the back seat area...
Some parts are quick to make, others take some time.
As for the coming weeks, I will have not much time to work in the barn but I will draw and prepare some paterns.

IMG_2791.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_2790.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_2987.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_2988.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1398s.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
oval56
13 years ago
nice work peter :beer: looking foorward to see it finished 🙂
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
vintagevw
13 years ago
Nice! :beer:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
brille52
13 years ago
I told you : you`re an artist !! Good job !! Next time, you will come to BZ with your own build Heb : doesn`t that sound GREAT ? :d

a8)
zelensis61
13 years ago
Ahh Andreas, SERVUS, Das ist gut. Aber dan must ich einen anhanger mitnemen...die wein schmeckt zoooooo Lecker aus BZ kellerei...
Gibst mir ein bischen zeit und dan fahre ich...

So , That is a deal, but then I have to tow a trailer to haul back some wine...the wine from the BZ wineproducers is so damn good.

Give some time and I'll roll it.
56ovalrhd
13 years ago
Peter,

Nice work. You are obviously passionate about this car and with the skills you have, I'm sure the car will be everything an original Hebmuller intended to be 😎 It's all in the details!