deacon
13 years ago
Can anyone help me out?

My wiper motor has finally given up, car is rhd, still 6V, 53 beetle, does anyone know if a later motor will fit? (if so, up to what year? 64??) or if a lhd motor can be installed on my mechanism???

Any help greatly appreciated, oh, and if anyone has a wiper motor they wanna sell, it would be grat being able to see whilst driving in the rain!!!

Thanks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
LHD and RHD aren't interchangable. RHD is: 114 955 111 and is Oval-era only. 1958 and later used a different motor.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

1958 and later used a different motor.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Found that one out last week when the wiper motor on my '58 packed-up 😞

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
deacon
13 years ago
Thanks for confirmation, next challenge - finding one!!!!
pre67vw
13 years ago

LHD and RHD aren't interchangable. RHD is: 114 955 111 and is Oval-era only. 1958 and later used a different motor.

Rich Oakley wrote:

the actual motor is different? why would that be?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

the actual motor is different? why would that be?

pre67vw wrote:

It's a long time since I took one apart, but I think the way it mounts onto the wiper motor frame is different to a LHD one. Don't think you can adapt a LHD one to RHD, but I may be wrong.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
13 years ago

It's a long time since I took one apart, but I think the way it mounts onto the wiper motor frame is different to a LHD one. Don't think you can adapt a LHD one to RHD, but I may be wrong.

Rich Oakley wrote:

OK, I'll take your word for it :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

You can't, I tried it with my RHD '58 :roll:

Another thing I found, with a 1940s spare used wiper motor that I had, was that the motor case disintigrated and broke away :shock:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
deacon
13 years ago
Dont need a new one!!! Worked it out, after stripping it and cleaning out the rock hard grease from around the gears, cleaning the copper commutator and magnet contacts, put it back in the car, didnt work, lost my rag and whacked it!!!, it then started to work a bit, turns out the elastic band that holds the magnets against the commutator had lost its "elasticness".

Like I have said before, cheap nasty Volkswagens, that elastic band only lasted 57 years -RIP OFF!!!!

Rattletrap
13 years ago
Yep, winter is here – the old 6 volt troubles with my beloved '58. Frozen semaphores, groaning starter and the wiper motor again. This time the wiper motor kept blowing fuses. Found an answer to this. It seemed to happen at the 'self parking' stage. I changed the wiring around so there's no self parking. I now have to manually park the wipers, same as my splits, but it works, no blown fuses:d