55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
I hope someone out there can help me out here.

If you own a 53-55 Beetle and still have your original tunnel carpet fitted can you tell me if there is an aluminium ring around the heater control outlet?

The carpets for my 55 are being made up this week and I can't find out what is correct...is it an ally ring or a ring of leatherette/saddler that fits around the tube?

Tks

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
13 years ago
I'm afraid I cant go and check for you, and they've long since replaced, but from memory it should be the same edging material used around the gearstick etc.

From memory this is what a few car I've seen have had, most recently would be the black '55 at auction.

I'll do some digging...
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Wrong again it seems...:lol:

Jan '54 manual.

UserPostedImage
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago
^^^ thanks Will, totally forgot to take a look at a manual.

However, that poses another question, if the above is from Jan 54 and the Cab is May 55, it would be incorrect to think it wouldn't have changed in 7 months of production.

I think the only way is for someone who has a 55 car with OG carpets to confirm what they got...

54 Gertie
13 years ago

^^^ thanks Will, totally forgot to take a look at a manual.

However, that poses another question, if the above is from Jan 54 and the Cab is May 55, it would be incorrect to think it wouldn't have changed in 7 months of production.

I think the only way is for someone who has a 55 car with OG carpets to confirm what they got...

55Kab wrote:

As far as I know, NOTHING changed between '54 and '55, apart from I'm sure I remember reading about something tiny and obscure in the gearbox?

William
mrmagyar
13 years ago
Hi,
My January '55 has an aluminium ring around the heater control, as does this picture from a '54.
Cheers,
Andy.  001.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
2splits
13 years ago
I can confirm that my April 55 also had the aluminum trim ring. I had the original carpet in my car before I restored it. I can send you a picture if you wish when I get home.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
2splits
13 years ago

As far as I know, NOTHING changed between '54 and '55, apart from I'm sure I remember reading about something tiny and obscure in the gearbox?

54 Gertie wrote:

You're kidding right? EVERYTHING changed in 1955...its the most difficult year to know what is right and what isn't.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

My January '55 has an aluminium ring around the heater control, as does this picture from a '54

mrmagyar wrote:

Thanks Andy, that helps alot. Think I'm going to go with the ally ring.

2splits
13 years ago
btw - mine was also a cab.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

I can confirm that my April 55 also had the aluminum trim ring. I had the original carpet in my car before I restored it. I can send you a picture if you wish when I get home.

2splits wrote:

Yes please Kevin, that would be great. With my car being built a month later the ally ring must be correct.

Martin

55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

btw - mine was also a cab.

2splits wrote:

Great...validates the decision to go with an ally ring even more :beer:

55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

You're kidding right? EVERYTHING changed in 1955...its the most difficult year to know what is right and what isn't.

2splits wrote:

I think Will meant 55 year car's which ran Jan-Jul 55 and in Europe are easier to work out than those in the US as Europe kept sema's, heart lights etc up to the model change in August 55.

mrmagyar
13 years ago
Hi,
I should add my carpets are the tatty originals and the '54 carpet in the picture is original too.
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
13 years ago

I think Will meant 55 year car's which ran Jan-Jul 55 and in Europe are easier to work out than those in the US as Europe kept sema's, heart lights etc up to the model change in August 55.

55Kab wrote:

Yes. Lot's of changes late '55.

:smile:

William
mrsherbie
13 years ago
I have it also jan/feb 55.

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann