MARKYSTEW
13 years ago
My car has a clear needle speedo stamped 6/58 which is incorrect for the car as it was built aug 61, when was the changeover to the solid needle speedo with the black centre?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

My car has a clear needle speedo stamped 6/58 which is incorrect for the car as it was built aug 61, when was the changeover to the solid needle speedo with the black centre?

MARKYSTEW wrote:

1/8/60
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
MARKYSTEW
13 years ago
Thankyou Rich
Another part to get then:roll:
Benjamin
13 years ago
Rich,

What is the story with Trip Speedometers?
Were these avalable from VW as an assessory?
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Rich,

What is the story with Trip Speedometers?
Were these avalable from VW as an assessory?

Benjamin wrote:

Yes Ben,

I think they were available as an option from 1954. There are some Split-era trip speedos around (a very small number), but I think the general concensus is that these very early ones were an aftermarket offering, probably not directly from VW, but this is unclear.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
beefykeefy
13 years ago

I have a trip speedo in my 67 - usually makes the perves go weak at the knees :omg:
Benjamin
13 years ago
Nice :thumbup: , Was it fitted from new?

Do you have any photos?

Thanks,

Ben
beefykeefy
13 years ago

Nice :thumbup: , Was it fitted from new?

Do you have any photos?

Thanks,

Ben

Benjamin wrote:

No idea if fitted from new. Looks as though it's never been out from the looks of it bootside; could've been a dealer optional extra.

UserPostedImage
Robb
13 years ago
The date is stamped into the casing on the rear. Take a look...
beefykeefy
13 years ago

The date is stamped into the casing on the rear. Take a look...

Robb wrote:

I know, I've seen the date... it says 196*..... the last number is VERY faint. Gonna have a good look soon, as this thread has got my juices flowing :oops:

Presume I'm hoping for a pre-67 date?