Mike Peckham
13 years ago

My '47 has a lot of similarities with the VW38 as I've mentioned. Then there's those KdF style seats it has…:wink:

Rattletrap wrote:

Perhaps it was a 1947 Prototype of the 1938 VW38! :unsure:

Mike :thumbup:

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Perhaps it was a 1947 Prototype of the 1938 VW38! :unsure:

Mike :thumbup:

Mike Peckham wrote:

No wrong way round. As it has a lot of pre 1947 fittings I'd say it could have been part of a pre-production batch. In 1947 the factory were still organising for full-out production, parts were in short supply with early parts being salvaged to get the first few cars out.:mellow:

Rattletrap which I guess you are referring to, on the other hand was kitted out with all 'later' pre-production parts to create the experimental batch of cars that Tony Levy referred to. Rattletrap was part of a batch of 100 units according to Tony.:smile:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Bjoern
13 years ago

No wrong way round. As it has a lot of pre 1947 fittings I'd say it could have been part of a pre-production batch. In 1947 the factory were still organising for full-out production, parts were in short supply with early parts being salvaged to get the first few cars out.:mellow:

Rattletrap which I guess you are referring to, on the other hand was kitted out with all 'later' pre-production parts to create the experimental batch of cars that Tony Levy referred to. Rattletrap was part of a batch of 100 units according to Tony.:smile:

Rattletrap wrote:

Maybe you should see the 38 with your own eyes so that you understand that the car is in EVERY detail completely different to a regular KDF. And a 1947 is also completely different in most of to a KDF as my Mangogreen or a mexican beetle. But I trust you if you say that the panels on your car are original - and curious for a 1947 too. In the early years after the war, Ivan Hirst tried to build the beetles with a lot of improsivation in reason of the unclear situations of the deliverers. But Porsche build the first Prototypes by Hand in Stuttgart, which is round about 400 Miles far Away from Wolfsburg - and Stuttgart was not in the British sector After the war. There can't be a large stock with untouched prototypeparts in Wolfsburg,
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
13 years ago

Maybe you should see the 38 with your own eyes so that you understand that the car is in EVERY detail completely different to a regular KDF. And a 1947 is also completely different in most of to a KDF as my Mangogreen or a mexican beetle. But I trust you if you say that the panels on your car are original - and curious for a 1947 too. In the early years after the war, Ivan Hirst tried to build the beetles with a lot of improsivation in reason of the unclear situations of the deliverers. But Porsche build the first Prototypes by Hand in Stuttgart, which is round about 400 Miles far Away from Wolfsburg - and Stuttgart was not in the British sector After the war. There can't be a large stock with untouched prototypeparts in Wolfsburg,

Bjoern wrote:

Yep, I agree with this 100%.

Although the 38 looks like a split beetle, when you look closely you start to notice that every single element is just a little different.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

… But Porsche build the first Prototypes by Hand in Stuttgart, which is round about 400 Miles far Away from Wolfsburg - and Stuttgart was not in the British sector After the war. There can't be a large stock with untouched prototypeparts in Wolfsburg,

Bjoern wrote:

I don't see how you can even consider a 1959 or absurdly, a Mexican Beetle (hugely manufactured cars in highly organised production lines) in a debate between a 1938 and 1947 saloon.

The 1945-47 cars were often put together with whatever parts were available as large parts supply from manufacturers were still difficult until around 1948.

Excess prototypes parts such as seats, card cloth panels and carpets would seem reasonable to me, unlike body and mechanical items.

I can't see that it was so unlikely that whatever was available at Stuttgart would not have been put on a train to Wolfsburg.:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Are we still talking about how your door card looks 'similar' the the '38?

It looks similar, in the same way my car has been mistake for a 2CV...
William
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Are we still talking about how your door card looks 'similar' the the '38?

It looks similar, in the same way my car has been mistake for a 2CV...

54 Gertie wrote:

There are none so blind as those that will not see. :bored:

Sometimes I feel just like packing everything away into old Rattletrap and driving off into the sunset…:unsure:

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

I don't see how you can even consider a 1959 or absurdly, a Mexican Beetle (hugely manufactured cars in highly organised production lines) in a debate between a 1938 and 1947 saloon.

The 1945-47 cars were often put together with whatever parts were available as large parts supply from manufacturers were still difficult until around 1948.

Excess prototypes parts such as seats, card cloth panels and carpets would seem reasonable to me, unlike body and mechanical items.

I can't see that it was so unlikely that whatever was available at Stuttgart would not have been put on a train to Wolfsburg.:wink:

Rattletrap wrote:

I disagree, the prototype cars were hand built prototypes. There would be no reason to make excess items of anything, in fact there were differences between the different '38 parts. You can't get a bunch of door panels made up for doors that haven't been made yet and that may vary from any previous doors made.

And then to ship them 400 miles to Wolfsburg and to keep them through the war, is a bit of a long shot at best.

More likely is that made the door panels in '47 and copied the design from old photographs...

Also, the '38 and a '47 are as far apart as a '47 and a mexican Beetle. The only part I could see (after hours of looking) from a 'normal' split that would fit on the '38 was the bumper iron grommets.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago
I go away for a couple of weeks and get back to find John is still ploughing the same old lonely furrow.:roll:

John, Rob has just stated the most likely scenario and it's very apposite you should quote the proverb, "none so blind as those who will not see"...you're reading a paragraph and interpreting the rest of the book...give it up.
John.
64rotbox
13 years ago

Sometimes I feel just like packing everything away into old ********** and driving off into the sunset…:unsure:

Rattletrap wrote:

I'm sure there's plenty of us who'd chip in for the petrol.
You can call me Al.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

You can't get a bunch of door panels made up for doors that haven't been made yet and that may vary from any previous doors made.

pre67vw wrote:

...and the doors themselves aren´t even consistently the same as each other. It´s all hand made stuff. You can´t simply take it and expect it to go anywhere near fitting onto a production car.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
I'm of the opinion that now the car is finished, this thread is done.

:thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW