pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
My Fram filter is leaking a little bit of oil from the top, it looks like its coming from under the silver thing that turns to keep the lid on. Is there a seal I need to replace? or any other trick?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

My Fram filter is leaking a little bit of oil from the top, it looks like its coming from under the silver thing that turns to keep the lid on. Is there a seal I need to replace? or any other trick?

pre67vw wrote:

Never had it leak from there...everywhere else...but not there.

UserPostedImage

Looking at the diagram there doesn't seem to be a seal at the top...just the integral rubber seal "C" at each end of the cartridge.

John.
oval56
12 years ago
same problem i had several times, leaking or should i say f**ing frams :cry: :d

you have a rubber seal on top, and on the wing or fitting screw there is also an cooper or small seal.

but if you get all the leakages fixed, it will leak out of the welded or pressed areas 😛 :d
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

same problem i had several times, leaking or should i say f**ing frams :cry: :d

you have a rubber seal on top, and on the wing or fitting screw there is also an cooper or small seal.

but if you get all the leakages fixed, it will leak out of the welded or pressed areas 😛 :d

oval56 wrote:

So I should leave it? :d

Maybe the rubber seal has gone hard or something? Does anyone make replacements or do I just need to find something similar?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
oval56
12 years ago

Maybe the rubber seal has gone hard or something? Does anyone make replacements or do I just need to find something similar?

pre67vw wrote:

the rubber seal is for the cap, as i know, porsche hat them, you can also use sealingpaper cutted.

you can try to get it not leaking, but i bet it will last some weeks and than the same problem will start again with a slight oilslick over the fram and the engine :sneaky: :twisted: :beer:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

I used the Mann replacement cartridges and the came with a rubber seal for the lid. If you go to your usual supplier and get them to cross reference for the Fram F3P they should be able to get the Mann Cartridge.

Edit: The Mann equivalent is part number: PF915n
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
It's not leaking from the bottom of the lid, it's leaking from the wing-nut by the looks of it.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW