ive just barn found a 53 split here in france it has no indicator arm cutouts
is this correct as ive seen a usa 53 split and it has indicator arms
cheers
engish french bugger:p 😛 😛
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
12 years ago
All barn finds must be accompanied by photos, it's the law.

:thumbup:

I'd say it should have semaphores, they may have been filled in at some point?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
french bugger
12 years ago
car is still in the barn but i will post photo cant see much of it next to it is a 56/57 renault 4cv moustache and a 1951 citreon corrugated iron type van.these cars were parked in the barn in 1985 ps how do u attach a photo on this site cheers the french bugger
pre67vw
12 years ago
How to attach photos 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
french bugger
12 years ago
there is so much rubbish around the car i cannot open the doors or front boot lid to check chassis # here is a picture
cheers
the french bugger
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Were is the photo ?????????????????? Drewling hear :drool: Andy
french bugger
12 years ago
good news tonight!
Just purchased the 53 split bug
will be out of the barn and in the open air tommorrow,friday
will try to attach photo
will also see the overall condition
who dares wins eh
the french bugger
 53 beetle 050.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53 beetle 037.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53 beetle 052.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
12 years ago
Nice find! They're still out there... :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Felicitations!! Barnfinds are the most absolute fun. Makes your heart beat hard everytime.
It sure is a zwitter:beer:
Looks great! I'd love to see more pictures.

Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
So Sweet :thumbup:
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
Wow! What a nice find!! Whereabouts are you in France and what's the story behind its discovery?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
65deluxe
12 years ago
Very nice find - Looks complete as well - has it got all the hard to get zwitter only bits ? - Looks azure blue ?
Same colour as my Dec 52 - Also pulled from its Barn / Garage for the first time in nearly 40 years over the last few weeks .

Looks like a leatherette interior as well - again same as mine .

Please check out 65 deluxe on Facebook to see all my work in one place
Ivan
12 years ago
Great find a Zwitter! Congrats
zelensis61
12 years ago
Congrats to the new owner.
Seems to be a nice car.
Juwt wonder what the button is on the right of the steering wheel...an ashtray like in a real Split?:wink:
Best regards. Peter

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
ste VW agen
12 years ago
Well Done Monsieur French Bugger!! :beer:

Une Vere du Bier Kronenbourg pour toi! (I just pulled my FRENCH out of a barn after 30 years!) I'm sure it too will polish up :thumbup:

Your post(s) "with mandatory FOTOS" :d brought back fond memories of MY first - ever "Split" which was also a ZWITTER "Barn - Find" back in Virginia, USA in 1978! I transferred it from that barn to another barn until I sold it in 1981 to another guy who put it in a barn!!

It was in much worse shape than yours, but still "a dream come true" for the young ste VW e. I will try to find (and post) pics of that adventure!

Keep the V eteranen W agen spirit alive and the finds coming!

Again ............. WELL DONE Mr. Bugger! :thumbup:

I Ha VW e a Dream!! (Well ...... err, Many!)
1) '49 Hebmueller (project)
2) '51 Split Sunroof (project)
3) '56 Oval Ste VW agen (project)
4 & 5) '67 Kabriolett x 2 (projects)
6) '18 K Gold Split Pendant around my neck since 1976 (complete & original)
french bugger
12 years ago
Hi guys/gals
chassis # 370856
engine # 20-0649009
is the chassis # a 52 build date
strange engine # is it original
pictures on their way
bugs make me itch
the french bugger
french bugger
12 years ago

Wow! What a nice find!! Whereabouts are you in France and what's the story behind its discovery?

Rich Oakley wrote:

Hi Rich
I live in Sourdeval Normandy France
About 8 weeks ago my younger brother tried to buy a pile of scrap metal and 3 old cars from a french guy {82 years old but a sly old fox } the cars were proper scrap and will send pictures if you want . the cars were 2 x renault 4 and a renault estate
all absolute scrap . the ol guy says i want to sell all the scrap including the scrap in the two buidings. my brother looks in the 1st building which is full of scrap iron
he looks in the 2nd building which is also full of scrap and piles of rubbish BUT in the far corner are3 vehicles #1 a 1950 citreon van, #2 a 1956/7 renault 4cv moustache model # 3 the beetle.and also outside an old caravan that the garage man up the road wants to buy. straight away brother richard thinks the garage man will also want to buy the 3 cars so rushes round to me to assist in a possible purchase. by the time we get back the owner has locked up and dissapeared. we dont his name or where he lives.
the next day my brother calls at the house next door and in pidgeon french gets the car owner tel # OH NO he lives in Paris.At this stage i have not seen the cars and dont believe theres a barn find split 1 mile from where i live and in the middle of a small town.any way we sort of give up hope and forthe next 7/8 weeks i make an effort to see if the premises are open NO LUCK. there are no trespass laws in France so we go up the back garden to try to look thru a window, no such luck no windows just a roller shutter at the front and a door impossible to look in. its driveing me crazy thinking theres a split on my doorstep and cant see it 2 weeks later we see the man who wants to buy the caravan and he tells us that the car owner will be back in mid July.he says he only wants the caravan but we dont believe him and keep ringing Paris no answer come to July the 10th and the roller shutters up .im there in 1 minute flat and my brothers chatting to the owner. my brother decides that if we can buy all the scrap and all the cars he wants the citreon and renault and i can have the split we cant see the condition of the cars because of the rubbish but over the next 2 days a deal is struck and we buy the 3 cars. YEH weve struck gold
a local man bought all the scrap and dragged yes dragged the three cars outside
we put the citreon on a trailer and took that home to the mill that was hard work as they had all been stored since 1976 would you believe the tyres pumped up on the renault and i towed it back to the mill at 5 miles an hour no brackes no hand brake
the tractor dragged out the beetle sideways but the tyres pumped up and again i towed it home with the land rover
as they say the rest is history
sorry for the long winded story but i do not work for the news of the world.
if it amuses a few buggers i will be happy
rich i will be in touch
need bits ?  UploadedFile3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  UploadedFile4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  UploadedFile5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  UploadedFile6.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  UploadedFile7.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Hubcap
12 years ago
Hi Chap

Great story, great find!

Congratulations.

Your patience and persistence paid off.

All the best with bringing you beetle back to life.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Don't forget to up date us with the progress of bringing her back to life. Andy
ste VW agen
12 years ago
Dear Bugger,

Again ........... Awesome find! I will follow this thread with joy! :thumbup: I kind of liked the Renault sitting next to the Zwitter as well! Like a kid finding a lost candy store! 3 questions please :

1) What was on the roof rack in the first pictures you posted? Another deck lid?

2) What did you find of interest in the door pockets / glove box / under the front lid?

3) Do you get any paperwork with the car? Can you title it to your name? What's the deal there?

Tres Bien Monsieur! You hit Pirate's Gold! Now get polishing! And let us all see .... please!

ste VW e :drool:
I Ha VW e a Dream!! (Well ...... err, Many!)
1) '49 Hebmueller (project)
2) '51 Split Sunroof (project)
3) '56 Oval Ste VW agen (project)
4 & 5) '67 Kabriolett x 2 (projects)
6) '18 K Gold Split Pendant around my neck since 1976 (complete & original)