AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago
Is the historic vw club just a shaddow of its former self ???? the reason i ask is there web site seams to have died with 2009 being there last gallery post. Nothing of the big shows that have been and gone over the years and the only thing that changes is the for sale and wanted page. Thay want £22 for membership is it worth it?????. I was a member years ago but after looking at the website i think i would be better off saving my money. If i am looking at the wrong site for some reason then i apolagise.

Andy
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
12 years ago
I am a member of the historic club and they do send information of club displays and club runs .There magazine is always a pleasant read and like any club i am sure its what you make it .I woulnt call myself an active member but i did attend a few of the displays .
I think the club is an important part of the scene and well worthy of of the £22.00.Its as much about supporting the club as getting something for myself .

They also give 10% discount at status VW which this year has already payed the subscription fee.I agree that the website looks uncared for but i have never seen the club as internet based especially as there are other sites that dominate that side of things .

I would say just try it for a year as there is much more to the club than the website.

Mike.
Robb
12 years ago
i was also contemplating joining........:?
RoRoVw
12 years ago
I must first declare my connection with The Historic Volkswagen Club. I'm the current Display Manager and as such I arrange club displays at several of the VW meetings throughout the country and at non VW classic car shows.

The HVWC is not a large club, although the current membership total of just over 200 stands at its highest point for many years. The website is only a small part of the club and I think it unfair to say that, "the only thing that changes is the for sale and wanted page". The website is actually quite up to date with details of the 2010/11 committee, a full diary of the 2011 show season and a downloadable 2011 display form for members wanting to show their cars with the club. Being a small club it's not possible to fill the site with galleries of photos of the major shows -these are fully reported elsewhere and in particular on this site with many excellent photos from Rob and others. The photos from the 2009 club meeting at RAF Cosford are actually the last ones of that type of meeting. The 2010 AGM was held at a pub in Leicestershire with a buffet lunch and this year is to be held in Derbyshire with a full Sunday lunch.

The Club has been very active this year with displays at Stanford Hall, Volksfling in Scotland, Peppercorn last weekend, plus a sizeable club contingent at Bad Camberg only three weeks ago. We have displays coming up at the VW Festival near Leeds, VW Northwest at Tatton Park, The Beetle Drive at Crich, the Classic Motor Show at the NEC in November, plus several other classic car shows and a major involvement in the planning and running of the Ivan Hirst Meeting in September.

AW - if you would like more details of the Club or copies of past magazines to look through then please PM me and I'll arrange it. We'd be very pleased to have you re-join the club and I can assure you that you'd be made most welcome.

Sunroof 53 - Many thanks for your support.

Cheers,
Robert Meekings.
GKL 7
12 years ago
I was thinking of you today Rob.
Is it you i contact regarding a car pass for Tatton Park?
RoRoVw
12 years ago
Yes, George. I'll PM you.
Cheers,
Rob
AW
  • AW
12 years ago
Thanks for the replies :thumbup: i have been away from vw aircooled motoring for some years now and out of touch with the vintage scene. Its nice to know that the Historic club is still going strong and spent many a happy time with them at stamford Hall in the 80's. I was going to try and get there this year but family problems put an end to that trip. I'am going to try and get to Tatton Park is there a vintage stand there this year. If i remember corectly some vintage VW's used to turn up when i went all those years ago. Once again thanks for the replys Andy
pre67vw
12 years ago

I must first declare my connection with The Historic Volkswagen Club. I'm the current Display Manager and as such I arrange club displays at several of the VW meetings throughout the country and at non VW classic car shows.

The HVWC is not a large club, although the current membership total of just over 200 stands at its highest point for many years. The website is only a small part of the club and I think it unfair to say that, "the only thing that changes is the for sale and wanted page". The website is actually quite up to date with details of the 2010/11 committee, a full diary of the 2011 show season and a downloadable 2011 display form for members wanting to show their cars with the club. Being a small club it's not possible to fill the site with galleries of photos of the major shows -these are fully reported elsewhere and in particular on this site with many excellent photos from Rob and others. The photos from the 2009 club meeting at RAF Cosford are actually the last ones of that type of meeting. The 2010 AGM was held at a pub in Leicestershire with a buffet lunch and this year is to be held in Derbyshire with a full Sunday lunch.

The Club has been very active this year with displays at Stanford Hall, Volksfling in Scotland, Peppercorn last weekend, plus a sizeable club contingent at Bad Camberg only three weeks ago. We have displays coming up at the VW Festival near Leeds, VW Northwest at Tatton Park, The Beetle Drive at Crich, the Classic Motor Show at the NEC in November, plus several other classic car shows and a major involvement in the planning and running of the Ivan Hirst Meeting in September.

AW - if you would like more details of the Club or copies of past magazines to look through then please PM me and I'll arrange it. We'd be very pleased to have you re-join the club and I can assure you that you'd be made most welcome.

Sunroof 53 - Many thanks for your support.

Cheers,
Robert Meekings.

RoRoVw wrote:

Well put Rob, I don't think many people realise the clubs unsung involvement in a lot of these shows. It's true that the HVWC website doesn't change a great deal, but the important stuff is on there - and believe me, I know what a job it is to run a website in your spare time for no £.

I'm not a member, I think to myself each year that I must join - but I must admit that I get put off by the membership price (thats no surprise to anyone who knows me :lol: )

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Robb
12 years ago
How do I join? Be good to see a sample newsletter/magazine :thumbup:
PK56
12 years ago
I was a member years ago and last year I decided to re-join. I received a lovely letter from the club welcoming me back and they gave me back my old membership number which made me feel very welcome. I have to say, the display at Stanford Hall was stunning. Every car was a story to be told and I spent ages looking at the display. I was in my split bus with the SSVC so did not have my car in the display but kind of wished I did once I was there :smile:
69project
12 years ago
you can join via there website from what i rmbr,they have a paypal link
Car less.....
RoRoVw
12 years ago

How do I join? Be good to see a sample newsletter/magazine :thumbup:

Robb wrote:

Robb.
You can join from the link on the Historic VW Club Website.
There are also sample back issues of the magazine on the site where you can select and read some of the articles.
If you PM me your home address then I'll get a recent copy of the magazine posted to you.

Cheers,
Rob.
Robb
12 years ago
Thanks Rob,

your inbox is full by the way

WayneMcCarthy
12 years ago
Well Worth The Money & Well Worth Joining Just For The Magazine Alone , I'm a Member , Not an Active One ! But Would Say @ Every Event The Club have a Display it's very well put Together , Very Very Important part of the Vintage VW Scene .
"Mr Stock"
RoRoVw
12 years ago

Thanks Rob,

your inbox is full by the way

Robb wrote:

Sorry. Clear now.
Cheers.
Robb
12 years ago
Got the sample HVWC magazine last week, and i have to say, what a lovely well put together magazine.

Many thanks for sending it though.

Can highly recommend, if anyone is thinking about joining :thumbup:

Im now a paid up member :thumbup:
RoRoVw
12 years ago

Got the sample HVWC magazine last week, and i have to say, what a lovely well put together magazine.

Robb wrote:

Excellent and welcome :roll:
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

Robb wrote:

The membership fee is worth it for Brian Screaton's articles alone in my opinion.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rod_vw
12 years ago
I’d like to thank all of you for your contributions in this thread.

Andy was very right in his original comments, the site does get stale but finding time and material to keep it bright is not always possible.

I am also glad to see that there are many others who visit the site from time to time and appreciate what they see. Keeping some interesting content in the public eye but not detracting from our member’s magazine is somewhat of a balancing act so I persevere living in dread of a beating from our Editor!

In answer to Robb I have updated the past magazines page to give you a better view of recent offerings and yes you can join on line via the ‘Membership’ button. Payment is by PayPal although more old-fashioned methods are just as welcome. Even cash when you see us at a show!

If anyone would like to meet us face to face please come along to the club display at VW North West, Tatton Park on Sunday 7th August. Or any of the other shows that we are at in 2011, see the ‘Club Displays’ button on the website.

Rod.

Historic Volkswagen Club website 
AW
  • AW
12 years ago
Hi Rod I'am realy looking forward to Tatton park. It's been ages since i have gone to a VW show and yes i will come and have a chat with you on the Historic stand. ( you may even remember me :cry: ) Just found that there is a show this weekend at Hooten Roberts just outside Rotherham. ( A DUB ODYSSEY ) Run by the Sheffield VW club which i used to be a very active member in the 80s. So will be going there as well seeing its only just down the road from me :thumbup: Andy