pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
I was wondering what the story was for starter handles on Beetles?

I always assumed it was either really early cars or standard models, but at Camberg I was looking at Heb #166 that had the starter handle hole and inside cover etc. I had always thought that cabrios were based on deluxe models unless they were for the Police - but it also has cable brakes.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
12 years ago
I'll also be interested to know, always wondered.
William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
I got to hand crank a 1950 Beetle in France a year back. Always wanted to try that.:d
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
zelensis61
12 years ago
As far as my knowledge goes....the crank starter or hand starting was standard until the end of the 49 model. Afterwards, it was an option until 52. correct me if I am wrong.

On an early heb, a rare beast, it is standard. As with the cable brakes. The seats, as some may think, are for sure on rails for the adjustmens and not with the clamps. All Hebs were deluxe as far as the trim and seats...mechanics are standards.
Heb 166 is as correct as it gets.

Nothing to do with the starter hole in the rear apron but is there something weird on the twin picts? I seems that in 49, there was already some photoshopskils...
Both picts are the same. On one there is a correction on the background...It is gone, under the car you see the wet drips on both picts, the tires are in the exact position...Weird.:o  werk4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  werk11.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  7216.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

It seems that in 49, there was already some photoshopskils...

zelensis61 wrote:

Photo retouching was standard practice back in the day, nearly all adverts that featured a product would be retouched. It's what the airbrush was invented for!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Not checked any other reference guide but from the IVVM beetle age finder it states from Oct '49 Chassis 10 127 560 starting handle no longer supplied
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

As far as my knowledge goes....the crank starter or hand starting was standard until the end of the 49 model. Afterwards, it was an option until 52. correct me if I am wrong.

zelensis61 wrote:

I will not correct you. As Kev says, Oct '49 was the last of the starter crank handles as standard.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
I think, not absolutely sure though, it was an option here in Belgium atleast until 58. Couldn't believe it myself but the photo and car looked pretty original.
It's a CKD Belgian manufactured one from the Brussels Plant. I'll see if I can locate a picture.
But, on the other hand, it might have been taken from a split. Because it also had a rear lid handle from a split installed.  crank58 (Small).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
It looks like the spahr-käfers had a hole in the rear valance for a starter handle, was it an option on those? The 181/thing had starter handles as an option right into the 70's...

I've also seen a '57 Cantebury Pitt Camper with a starter handle, so not convinced it was only an option until '52.  DSCF2762.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

It's a CKD Belgian manufactured one from the Brussels Plant. I'll see if I can locate a picture.

Piet wrote:

:thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
12 years ago
Didn't all Type 2's have a starter handle/hole until maybe even the late 50's?

This is the parents Nov '58.

UserPostedImage
William
Bally
12 years ago
Yes, buses had them until the late 50s or possibly even to 61.

I'm intending to retro fit one to my car - I thought I had the correct nut but it may not be right - I may therefore be on the lookout for a correct crank handle crank nut.

54 Gertie
12 years ago

I'm intending to retro fit one to my car - I thought I had the correct nut but it may not be right - I may therefore be on the lookout for a correct crank handle crank nut.

Bally wrote:

I'd love one, may drill the valance in my '63. Not original so no great loss, be a nice little feature to confuse people in Waitrose carpark. :d
William