AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago
Can any one tell me what the spec is of a U/K 1500 67 is, even better post some photos. I seem to remember that the 1200 was 6 volt but the 1500 was 12 also four stud wheels and Disc brakes. Were thay a one off year i seem to remember some trim was one year only like the door handels. Any help most welcome. Andy W
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
64rotbox
12 years ago
Every year is a 'one off', but '67 models do have more year-specific parts than most.

Most 1500s (that I ever worked on, anyway) were 6V. All had 4 stud wheels with unique caps, front discs (still on a single circuit system), unique doors (late type latches but smaller finger recesses with round push button door handles), different interior door and lock pulls, window winder handles, dash knobs, bonnet trim, quarter light frames, decklid (obviously), rear valance... etc.

https://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17397 
You can call me Al.
Robb
12 years ago
Wow where do we start.

All uk 67s were 6v.

Check my thread, it's a 67 1500 6v with 4 lug wheels. Discs on front and drums back. One year only doors and handles and seat backs. Dash knobs....... The list goes on!

If u want an easy bug to resto don't buy a 67!
AW
  • AW
12 years ago
Thanks for that. I have bean told of one tonight that's bean laid up in a garage since 1985 and the owner wants rid. Heard nothing of the 58 that was suposted to be turning up so we will see what this weekend brings :shock: Andy W
Ivan
12 years ago

Wow where do we start.

All uk 67s were 6v.

Check my thread, it's a 67 1500 6v with 4 lug wheels. Discs on front and drums back. One year only doors and handles and seat backs. Dash knobs....... The list goes on!

If u want an easy bug to resto don't buy a 67!

Robb wrote:

Actually, not all UK '67 1500s were six volt... 12 volt became a factory option for the '67 model year and one VW dealer, I can't recall the company's name off the top of my head, order all their '67s with 12 volt electrics. I seem to recall they had the M number in bold white stencilled paint on the fan housing - pretty sure it was M610. Anyway, although the standard spec for the UK market '67 as offered by VW Motors Ltd was 6 volt, the fact one shrewd VW dealer cottoned on to the fact they could order their cars as 12 volts made them a tidy sum, as Safer Motoring reported on this fact and they sold every car they had! Safer Motoring could not understand why VW had not made it a standard feature - as it was in the USA. We got disc brakes on 1500 Beetles (the Standad model and 1300Deluxe had drum brakes) and , they only got 1500s but there's were on drums and had 12 volt electrics.
I'd have like to have been a fly on the wall in the planning meetings at VW... It probably went like this;
We could give the UK got less powerful lights and good brakes. The US can have good lights and the lesser brakes.

So we couldn't see but we could stop quickly and Americans could see far enough in advance to stop quickly enough.

Don't forget the '67 had the Z-bar compensator, so was far superior to previous Beetles when it came to cornering.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
M620 I think :wink:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
12 years ago
well you learn something new every day! thanks for that Ivan! :thumbup:
AW
  • AW
12 years ago
Thanks for the info Andy W