I just got a birthcertificate for my 54 oval org ragtop, and under
extras/options: it says M 042 but they dont know what it is, can anyone
in here help me?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php 

Someone has a M code book on the samba, just saw this and thiught of you.

Andy
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
six-o-one
17 years ago
My '58 has M042 listed as an extra too, but I can't find it listed anywhere either. :?
zelensis61
17 years ago
Hey
I have read somewhere that M042 is the M code for the brakes 😎

i have no clue but when I find it I'll tell you.
Greets
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
six-o-one
17 years ago

Hey
I have read somewhere that M042 is the M code for the brakes 😎

i have no clue but when I find it I'll tell you.
Greets

"zelensis61" wrote:

While you are looking, see if you car find M008, M063 and M108 :wink:
ABVWC
17 years ago
I have found a reference to

M108:

Custom model with torsion bar front axle instead of suspension struts and additionally with M4 or 9, 20, 23, 89 137, 185, 227, 228 and 617. USA
six-o-one
17 years ago
Thanks for the help, I saw that one on The Samba too, but it doesn't really apply to a 1958 beetle! It could never have had struts! :shock:

I think that either M codes changed through the years, or this birth certificate is a work of fiction!

Nicolas said there were things on the certificate for his standard beetle that were wrong, and I think mine's the same.

It says it has an optional passenger sunvisor, but it has no sunvisors attached to the mirror, just an accessory drivers sunvisor. :?

Also, with the colour stated as being Diamond Grey, I don't trust what this official piece of paper says! :?
ABVWC
17 years ago
With all due respect the information came from one of the official vw manuals, page 16 of the Parts List Type 1. The information suggests it is a 1972 copy, but they didn't date these things.

I know internet sites often carry mistakes, perhaps the official manual does too :shock: :wink:

I do agree that it appears the description of the M numbers may have changed.........just need the evidence 😞
six-o-one
17 years ago
Sorry, I wasn't doubting that your information was correct, just stating that it wasn't applicable to a '58 and the codes must have changed through the years, as the specifications of the vehicles changed.
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
M108 looks like a RHD one as a lot of people in the UK have this one.
Could it be RHD front beam or something. Scott Spencer has this one.

The one it changed to looks like 1303 or 02 code.

You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂