AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Seems like yesterday Andy W  76.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
Some more old stuff..  old vw pics 002.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Old Blue
12 years ago

Seems like yesterday Andy W

AW wrote:

Well it is really - 1976, well that really is a long time ago. Ovals for sale at £150, they were the days.:roll:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
Early VW Action Stafford...1977...I think.
ovals4ever
12 years ago
I came across these in my collection.
Who was a show winner in 1979? I think I have his trophy :d  vw-action.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
kevsplitty
12 years ago
My dad owned MRT 308 for most of the 70's only sold it to John Miller later. John wanted to do a straight swap for a 56 oval but dad said no,he returned with a 72 Marathon which at time was very modern:d ,dad again said No as paintwork on it was'nt great,he returned again with Marathon & money for respray! As MRT 308 was our only car used every day,dad let it go.
My dad paid £90 for MRT ,had it 15 years. He got it off a chap called Philip Kett from Walberswick Suffolk,where the small local car garage collected it from a dealer in kent,after it came over to Dover,think Philip was second owner of it in the village.We only live about 10miles from there & the local garage is still going,now run by the son of the fella who collected the bug.
I say to dad often wish you kept it but he always says,kev every year my holidays were spent working on the bug to keep it running through out the year,he used to take it to most shows but when people started bringing them on trailers & he got docked points for having mud,cow s**t under the wings as it was used allways,he said sod it & never bothered anymore.
He still goes to shows now,got a 73 bug,T25 bus,still a few of the old fellas about but not many:( My dads name is Maurice Goldsmith by the way:wink:
kevsplitty
12 years ago
Spoke to my dad today,he says he thinks he bought MRT 308 in late 66 early 67 & had it 12 years so would have owned it til the late 70s,he's gonna try & find up some old pics,he's definately got one of the first Historic VW club meet,with a few splits there,i'll post them up when he finds them:wink:
rudolf hucker
12 years ago

,still a few of the old fellas about but not many:

kevsplitty wrote:

Oh I don't know! There are still lots of us out there still enjoying our VWs. It's just getting more difficult to work on them, its easy enough to crawl underneath but its almost impossible to climb out and stand up again!!:lol:

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

Oh I don't know! There are still lots of us out there still enjoying our VWs. It's just getting more difficult to work on them, its easy enough to crawl underneath but its almost impossible to climb out and stand up again!!:lol:

rudolf hucker wrote:

I second that :omg:

Andy W
kevsplitty
12 years ago
:d Thats what my dad keeps saying when i get him to crawl under my buses! Ive got him a nice job standing up at the moment,he's rebuilding my single cabs engine:d
Rattletrap
12 years ago

My dad owned MRT 308 for most of the 70's only sold it to John Miller later. John wanted to do a straight swap for a 56 oval but dad said no,he returned with a 72 Marathon which at time was very modern:d ,dad again said No as paintwork on it was'nt great,he returned again with Marathon & money for respray! As MRT 308 was our only car used every day,dad let it go.
My dad paid £90 for MRT ,had it 15 years. He got it off a chap called Philip Kett from Walberswick Suffolk,where the small local car garage collected it from a dealer in kent,after it came over to Dover,think Philip was second owner of it in the village.We only live about 10miles from there & the local garage is still going,now run by the son of the fella who collected the bug.
I say to dad often wish you kept it but he always says,kev every year my holidays were spent working on the bug to keep it running through out the year,he used to take it to most shows but when people started bringing them on trailers & he got docked points for having mud,cow s**t under the wings as it was used allways,he said sod it & never bothered anymore.
He still goes to shows now,got a 73 bug,T25 bus,still a few of the old fellas about but not many:( My dads name is Maurice Goldsmith by the way:wink:

kevsplitty wrote:

Hi Kev.:smile:

MRT although the first known 'new' RHD VW to arrive in England, has alas never been accepted as official.

The first 'official' imports were the batch of 945 units imported by VW GB in 1953. The first one of the 1953 945 VW GB batch to be loaded onto the dock would be the first 'official car', and probably an oval too, I think that official imports began in June 1953 the oval era. These cars were all official dealer sales.

MRT 308 did not go through a dealer, it was a private order from a worker within the VW factory for a relative in Walberswick, Suffolk, England. It was driven all the way to this address on German registration plates from Germany where it was already registered. So, when registered here it had above the norm delivery mileage, and it could so be argued that it was a 'pre-owned car', and so not new, although this was the only use prior to UK registration as far as I know.:mellow:  M Goldsmith and MRT late '60s.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
This was one of the first two to be deliverd to Gilders of Sheffield

Andy W  ov.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
kevsplitty
12 years ago

Hi Kev.:smile:

MRT although the first known 'new' RHD VW to arrive in England, has alas never been accepted as official.

The first 'official' imports were the batch of 945 units imported by VW GB in 1953. The first one of the 1953 945 VW GB batch to be loaded onto the dock would be the first 'official car', and probably an oval too, I think that official imports began in June 1953 the oval era. These cars were all official dealer sales.

MRT 308 did not go through a dealer, it was a private order from a worker within the VW factory for a relative in Walberswick, Suffolk, England. It was driven all the way to this address on German registration plates from Germany where it was already registered. So, when registered here it had above the norm delivery mileage, and it could so be argued that it was a 'pre-owned car', and so not new, although this was the only use prior to UK registration as far as I know.:mellow:

Rattletrap wrote:

Thats my dad just after he got it,parked in my nans garden:d You must have got that pic off a post i put up somewhere. Just rang dad he said yes you are correct,it went to a german dealer near the border in Karlsruhe,dealers name was John Gramlin he thinks,from there it was driven over,he said it had the dealers stickers on the crotchcoolers but over the years these wore off. John Miller claimed it was the first RHD built for the uk later,dad did'nt realise:smile:
Rattletrap
12 years ago

Thats my dad just after he got it,parked in my nans garden:d You must have got that pic off a post i put up somewhere. Just rang dad he said yes you are correct,it went to a german dealer near the border in Karlsruhe,dealers name was John Gramlin he thinks,from there it was driven over,he said it had the dealers stickers on the crotchcoolers but over the years these wore off. John Miller claimed it was the first RHD built for the uk later,dad did'nt realise:smile:

kevsplitty wrote:

The first VW built for the UK for certain (though not official). Nothing has shown up earlier to disprove that, but there's always the slim chance of something earlier like it 'unofficial' being discovered. It is worth remembering that RHD split windows were made also for places such as South Africa. RHD splits were also assembled in Ireland I believe in 1952 from shipped over 'kits', CKN assembled I think is the correct name for such cars. Rudolf Metz worked at VW in Wolfsburg, and placed the order for his car through Gramlings. Its a shame the car was registered for use on German roads first though, as Metz wanted the car purely for shipping to his sister (I believe thats who the lady in England was) in Walberswick.:mellow:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
kevsplitty
12 years ago
Dad mentioned a fella called Metz, i see what you say then,prob was the first but who knows,thanks for the info:smile:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Taken at malvern in 86

Andy W  img029.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
kevsplitty
12 years ago
Sorry guys prob my fault it got side tracked to MRT,ive just joined & as it was in my family for around 12 years was lovely talking about it,did'nt realise.

cheers kev.
pre67vw
12 years ago

Sorry guys prob my fault it got side tracked to MRT,ive just joined & as it was in my family for around 12 years was lovely talking about it,did'nt realise.

cheers kev.

kevsplitty wrote:

Not a problem at all, no need to apologise... but lets get back to the topic - thread cleaned :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
12 years ago

cheers kev.

kevsplitty wrote:

MRT has a dedicated thread here, I should have told you.:thumbup:
Rod_vw
12 years ago
Sorry to start with MRT 308 but that car is the embryo of the current Historic Volkswagen movement here in the UK.

Back in 1972 or 73 I met Maurice Goldsmith with his car at the VW Convention at Stafford Showground , that meeting and view of the car prompted a conversation in the pub with a local dealer's salesman. From that conversation we purchased TJJ 62 (1949er 1-101991). This car was resurrected (I don't mean restored!) and became a second family car, second to UDH 235F a 1968 1500.

TJJ 62 spawned a serious interest in early VWs and with Robin Allen's help began the 'Split Window Section' of VWOC(GB). In later years this section of the national club became independent and was re-named The Historic Volkswagen Club www.historicvws.org.uk .

It was our involvement with VWOC(GB) and a passing comment at a committee meeting in early 1976 that spawned VW Action at which for many years I was Concours Manager. At a couple of early events Keith Snelling and myself competed in the Pit Stop competition. Later along with Gordon Oakey I competed with some success in the engine change competition using UDH 235F (then painted Cliff Green or Apple Green for GT Beetle enthusiasts). There is a photo of Gordon Oakey and myself further back in this thread.

After VW Action became a serious commercial venture VWOC(GB) planned and started a new event called Bug-In which was held at Castle Ashby for two years before moving to the Three Counties Showground at Malvern. Again I was Concours Manager until about 2000 when involvement with VW Books absorbed our time at events. By this time the name of the event had been changed to 'The British Volkswagen Festival' (BVF).

As for Stanford Hall, we've been to every one! The Historic Volkswagen Club were co-organisers of the early events and are still involved with organising the prestigious Historic Display onwards to 2012. Anyone interested in the history of this event should seek out back issues of 'The Historic Volkswagen' the magazine of the Historic Volkswagen Club where Brian Screaton has described its history.

The Scottish Volkswagen Festival - Doune Motor Museum - Blair Drummond - Biggar, we were there at the first event and followed it through until about five years ago. Someone else will nodoubt write this up.

Rod & Liz Sleigh