mooney3019
13 years ago
MDL 179, was purchased by my father from a freind of his, we were led to believe it was the first non import rhd oval to be sold on the isle of man, my dad stripped the car and sold it back to his friend who did nothing with it, it was then purchased by my brother who is a classic car restorer who restored it and sold it about 15 years ago, have seen it around since for sale and at shows, still have as couple of bits for it, also i have seen the owner was trying to sell the reg off it.
Rattletrap
13 years ago
TLE 70 a metallic light blue oval, may still be with the VW dealer in Norwich, 'Robinsons'. Back in the '80s it was still in their showroom. They kept it there after getting it back from the original owner in the 1970s who they originally sold it to new.

MDR 155 was light green, a 1956 oval. I owned it for a year or so in the early '90s. No idea who has it now though.:?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
13 years ago
Prof Rich where is it now,ESV 451 Ex Sheffield owned '51.

U.S ?
pre67vw
13 years ago
Found these old photos on Volkszone

SXW55
ESV451  img010.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  img011.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
vintagebug
13 years ago

Found these old photos on Volkszone

SXW55
ESV451

pre67vw wrote:

SXW55- I remember this one from many years ago. It used to belong to Billy Black (I might have got that name wrong, my memory's pretty cr*p these days), who owned an independent VW repair garage called Volksway, in Rutherglen, Glasgow, back in the early 80s. I recall seeing that car in there at the time, it must have been one of the first splits I'd ever seen "in the flesh". I think he was restoring it at the time.
No idea where it is now though 😞
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
13 years ago
Think your memory is OK Dave,that all tallys with what you told me approx 10 years ago.
ESV 451 was featured in Lawrence Meredith's "Original Beetle" fully restored,i remember it being for sale,about a month after buying the other Sheffield based split,"KET",which we have both owned in our time.If i'd have been shopping a month later i would probably have purchased ESV and kept it, and if circumstances had gone this way,we would probably never have met:cry:
Asked the original question as i'd wondered where ESV had gone.No response from the Prof 'tho,is this the only U.K based Split he has lost track of:wink:
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Think your memory is OK Dave,that all tallys with what you told me approx 10 years ago.
ESV 451 was featured in Lawrence Meredith's "Original Beetle" fully restored,i remember it being for sale,about a month after buying the other Sheffield based split,"KET",which we have both owned in our time.If i'd have been shopping a month later i would probably have purchased ESV and kept it, and if circumstances had gone this way,we would probably never have met:cry:
Asked the original question as i'd wondered where ESV had gone.No response from the Prof 'tho,is this the only U.K based Split he has lost track of:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

ESV 451 is now in Spain.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
13 years ago

No response from the Prof 'tho,is this the only U.K based Split he has lost track of:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

ESV 451 is now in Spain.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Booyah... Never doubt the Prof... :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago

ESV 451 is now in Spain.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Which Town:?:
vintagebug
13 years ago

and if circumstances had gone this way,we would probably never have met:cry:

'50 Karmann wrote:

I bet you wish now that you'd bought it!! :d

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
13 years ago

I bet you wish now that you'd bought it!! :d

vintagebug wrote:

Nah!Dave a good friend is more important.(There's no being sick smiley)
Tonser
13 years ago

801AXF - White Cabrio

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

This photo of 801 AXF is from Bodiam Castle 1982, next to my kabrio 587 NKX 🙂 I was given the photo when I bought the kabrio.

UserPostedImage

A virtually identical photo in black and white was in an article in VolksWorld in Aug2009. From the article, both cars were then owned by Eddie Butler ( show organiser on behalf of The Split Club )and his partner Fran Spinks. They were credited as a '60 sedan and 58 kabrio, but the Kab' ia a May 1960 car.

Does anyone know what time of year that Bodiam show would have been, as the previous owner to 587 NKX bought it on the 15th August 1982, and he lived in Maidstone - I wonder if he saw it at the show !?!

If anyone has any details for 587 NKX, Eddie Butler, or Fran Spinks I'd love to have them, thanks.

Tony
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Hello Tony

I was at Bodiam in 1982, I have a feeling it was at the beginning of the summer, maybe May time? I'll see if there was any mention of it in the VW Motoring Mags of the time.

It was a great event, very intimate. There were lots of great cars there like yours and many 50s beetles still being used as every day transport. I had a very original, 3 owner 1954 Oval then (RNC 676)that I was using everyday, I put it up for sale at the show as I was in the process of buying a 1970 1500 June Beetle. I sold the Oval to Jerry Ashplant for £120, those were the days.

Last I heard it was being restored by a guy in Storrington, but that was in about 1985 and I've not seen or heard anything of it since then. I wonder if it's still in some lock up somewhere?

Eddie Butler I believe was a friend of Bob Shail's, Bob is still very much about so he might be able to help you contact Eddie.

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
GKL 7
13 years ago
Bodiam was late spring/early summer and nearly always Bloody Freezing.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Eddie Butler …

Mike Peckham wrote:

He's still on the scene.:?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

He's still on the scene.:?

Rattletrap wrote:

I have no idea. Sorry.

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
GKL 7
13 years ago
Well if he's still around, great.
But i thought i had heard,he had passed away.
Tonser
13 years ago

Hello Tony

I was at Bodiam in 1982, I have a feeling it was at the beginning of the summer, maybe May time? I'll see if there was any mention of it in the VW Motoring Mags of the time.

Eddie Butler I believe was a friend of Bob Shail's, Bob is still very much about so he might be able to help you contact Eddie.

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Thanks mike, I thought it was around springtime. I'll try to contact Bob.

Tony
Tonser
13 years ago

Well if he's still around, great.
But i thought i had heard,he had passed away.

'50 Karmann wrote:

That would be sad 😞 I wonder if Fran Spinks is still around ?
smull
12 years ago

XDD521 got cal-looked. I last saw it bouncing around the middle lane of the M6 at 50mph about 3 years ago.

64rotbox wrote:

That'd be me then :wink: XDD 521 is now owned by a guy called Phil in Devon. Last time we spoke via email he was thinking about going back to stock. A very special car which I was sad to part with.

Thread from the dead I know, but I just found this on the tinterweb and thought I'd respond.
:thumbup:
A person is intelligent but people are stupid