Torsion-Boy
12 years ago
I'm new to the forum and wonder if anyone can help - I have a '66 1300 Beetle with a red interior. I saw on this forum some pictures posted of a white Beetle sold by H&H recently that had a two part red rubber mat, which would be just the ticket. Does anyone know how I can find out the part number for this so I can see if VW Heritage can source it via their VW Classic Parts link up? Any help greatfully received!

Thanks

Tom
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrmagyar
12 years ago
Hi,
Halfords sell aerosol vinyl paint that might be suitable to re-colour your existing mats. I used it to paint a grey rubber mat in my beetle black and it's brilliant stuff, it becomes part of the rubber and won't rub or scrape off. Whether it works on older natural rubber or not is another thing but at £9.99 a can it's worth trying on a piece of old rubber or a small section on the back of your original mats.

Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint Red Cat code: 363457-0
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Torsion-Boy
12 years ago
Good call - thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't have a mat of any colour at the moment(!), so I guess that means I need to modify my question - does anyone know the part number for a pre 66 set of mats in black for a RHD...!

Cheers

Tom
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Wolfburg West in the US do a repro rubber mat, but not sure this would be available in red.

I have original rubber mats in mine, in black, in a 67. I can look at the part number tomorrow if that helps?

I think finding an original one, and in red will prove a bit tricky...
Robb
12 years ago
yes red is very rare.

i have grey/black RHD ones in my 67, and to be honest all the factory did was paint the black mats to make them red. so thats prob your best option. :thumbup:
Torsion-Boy
12 years ago
Thanks beefykeefy - yes, if you could have a look for that code, that would be great - I assume yours is RHD??? I know you can pick up repro LHD ones - the only place I can think of trying for a RHD one would be with VW Classic Parts via VW Heritage (hence the need for the part number!!!).
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Thanks beefykeefy - yes, if you could have a look for that code, that would be great - I assume yours is RHD??? I know you can pick up repro LHD ones - the only place I can think of trying for a RHD one would be with VW Classic Parts via VW Heritage (hence the need for the part number!!!).

Torsion-Boy wrote:

I'll look later...

And yes, stupid of me, as Wolfsburg West will only do lefties :oops:
branston
12 years ago
I bought an excellent set of original VW RHD floor mats a few weeks ago. I posted a wanted ad on Vzi and found a set in a few days. So they are out there if you advertise.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
The red ones were only used for one year and I have never seen a good RHD one for sale, ever.

Howard66 has a spare NOS one, but I don't think he will sell it.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Torsion-Boy
12 years ago
Thanks Rich - am I right to assume that the one year that red interiors came with red mats was for the 1966 year models? I am by no means after any concourse medals, but at the same time I would like it to look "right" if at all possible. As I am on a budget, I'll be happy to give the spray treatment to a black set if that will look right for a 66 year model. Just need to find a black set then...
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Front mat part number - 114 863 703 B.

Couldn't see the back one, will look tomorrow as it started to snow :omg:
Torsion-Boy
12 years ago
Thanks beefykeefy - just a thought, I guess the rear mat will be universal (ie LHD or RHD), so may be easier to find. Just checked the front mat number on VW Heritage's and not a sniff - I guess it's gonna be an ebay special...
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

Thanks Rich - am I right to assume that the one year that red interiors came with red mats was for the 1966 year models? I am by no means after any concourse medals, but at the same time I would like it to look "right" if at all possible. As I am on a budget, I'll be happy to give the spray treatment to a black set if that will look right for a 66 year model. Just need to find a black set then...

Torsion-Boy wrote:

Yes, the '66 model year cars had these unique red interiors and I think it was only the Pearl White cars that had them. I have had 2 x Pearl White UK RHD cars with red interiors, both original low mileage cars.

The mats were actually moulded using a coloured composite material, not painted as Robb suggested earlier.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
12 years ago
ah, well you learn something new every day. :lol:
Caledfryn
12 years ago
I have a Pearl White '66 1300 with a red ('Pigalle') interior.

My mats are in okay condition, but worn in places. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for years for a better replacement set but to no avail.

There is a Pearl White '66 at a breakers and I emailed them about the interior, however, a fire destroyed it completely.

If you're after the part number I can look for you.
Torsion-Boy
12 years ago
I'd love the number if you can get it - although to be honest I think I'm going to be happy to stick with the black; my car was originally white but re-sprayed black, so whilst the interior is still red, I don't think it would look out of place to have black mats in the car. Heaven knows, they alone are going to be difficult to find in good condition!
branston
12 years ago

Front mat part number - 114 863 703 B.

Couldn't see the back one, will look tomorrow as it started to snow :omg:

beefykeefy wrote:

My set reads:
Front 114 863 703 K/M
Rear 113 863 717 H
There's a guy on samba with NOS colored mats. I'll try to find the link to his ad