THEBOFFIN
13 years ago
sorry its gone a bit quiet!, due to problems with my daily driver(s!)....been through 4 cars in the last month all with major problems!..my spare cash has been used up...have to use a car for work!...now got a (fingers crossed) bmw compact to run around in!
..but i hit the big 40 next saturday :roll: :shock: !...so hoping to put any birthday money 😃 i get, into getting the cab finally down to the blasters!...in the next couple of weeks.
watch out for the photos!
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago
hi all
work to car still on hold...unfortunately my father in law passed away on boxing day, so a lot to sort out
hope to get back to the bug soon, really want to get it done next year.
keep watching.
zelensis61
13 years ago
My condolences, Losing someone is always awfull.
Anyhow, in these sad days we wish you and your family all the best for 2011.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago

My condolences, Losing someone is always awfull.
Anyhow, in these sad days we wish you and your family all the best for 2011.

zelensis61 wrote:

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated.
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago
Hi All

Almost back to normal now, after a difficult couple of months, emptying the contents of my father in laws bungalow into our garage buried my bug,looking to start on the car again in the next couple of weeks now i can see it and have room to pull it in and out of the garage!
I hadn't realised i'd had it for so long, bought it end of march 2007! so four years!
I've got 99% of parts now i think, and as i'm going to use my LHD oval front beam, my solid 1962 RHD one, pedal set etc.. will be up for sale if anyones interested?

Having a good sort through my parts at the mo to fund the shotblast and prime that it needs...original 1962 Bosch headlamps, need to dig out the 1960's/70's NOS box:drool: ..that some of you raided at Stanford hall some years ago!
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago
....My mate has lent me his trailer and car, so the vert shell is going to the blaster this thursday for a blast and prime! 😃

Can't wait to see the old girl stripped bare!, then the work can start!
watch for before and after pics on thursday..should be all done within the day, and the price has dropped..just £150! :thumbup: :d
55Kab
13 years ago
Good to hear things are a little more settled.

Good news also that she's finally going to the blaster. Post some pics up when you get her home.

THEBOFFIN
13 years ago

Good to hear things are a little more settled.

Good news also that she's finally going to the blaster. Post some pics up when you get her home.

55Kab wrote:

Cheers!.. will do
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago
Wow! :d what a difference a blast and prime makes!, the old girl looks great, as Trent said best £150 i've spent!!

As i expected the blasting did bring up some extra holes, particuarlly in the rear seat/luggage area, but all repairable and overall very good result!
the buckshot holes :shock: and dents now show quite clearly on the rear panel too now!

All fired up and ready to go now..will start some repairs this weekend

see some before and after photo's below, enjoy!!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
55Kab
13 years ago
Looks great Adam. Got to say that n/s quarter aside, it all looks pretty good and easily fixable.

pre67vw
13 years ago
Yep, in cabrio terms - looks pretty good!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago

Looks great Adam. Got to say that n/s quarter aside, it all looks pretty good and easily fixable.

55Kab wrote:

Hi

yep it's very good overall, its had some original panels as you can see part replaced panels from other bugs..but all original steelwork, no repro's

Bit of a dilemma on that NS quarter tho as it's been butchered inside too, i've got a complete rear qtr that can go in, but i'm just concerned about door shut linning up etc. ,as it's so critical on a cab, probably going to just splice in face and rear ribbing.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
13 years ago
Is there a factory weld along the trim holes? My suggestion would be to replace from the trim holes down. Then treat the other repairs completely seperately.  quarter.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago

Is there a factory weld along the trim holes? My suggestion would be to replace from the trim holes down. Then treat the other repairs completely seperately.

pre67vw wrote:

Not that i've noticed..need to have a look. Was that were the saloon was modified by Karmann to fit the cabrio panels?
pre67vw
13 years ago

Was that were the saloon was modified by Karmann to fit the cabrio panels?

THEBOFFIN wrote:

I'm not sure to be honest, my '65 had a perfect weld along the trim holes on both sides - looked too perfect to be hand done, so I always assumed them to be factory welds. But it also seemed odd not to just press a complete rear quarter for Cabrios, I'd have though it would have been far easier.

I was thinking that as a lot of people repair doors from the trim holes down - that may be the way to go, but thinking about it now I'd probably go all the way up, would probably be easier.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
13 years ago

Not that i've noticed..need to have a look. Was that were the saloon was modified by Karmann to fit the cabrio panels?

THEBOFFIN wrote:

On my car the cut line was above the swage line, which you can see (the dark line) in this photo of my car when it was with Gav  p368.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
55Kab
13 years ago

Is there a factory weld along the trim holes? My suggestion would be to replace from the trim holes down. Then treat the other repairs completely seperately.

pre67vw wrote:

I agree with Rob here. Seems to most logical way to go. These days it's not uncommon. Here's a 52 in France that had a similar repair:  F52p98.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  F52p99.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  F52p100.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
13 years ago

On my car the cut line was above the swage line, which you can see (the dark line) in this photo of my car when it was with Gav

55Kab wrote:

Ahhh, jogged my memory - yep I think thats where mine was as well.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
13 years ago

I agree with Rob here. Seems to most logical way to go. These days it's not uncommon.

55Kab wrote:

Plus you can brace up the door gap and make sure that nothing moves while putting the replacement parts on. If you go with a complete quarter, you won't be able to brace anything (although it's still do-able with lots of care/measurements)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago
i'll have a look for the join...must be well disguised as they dont show obviously!
and yes i'm just going with replacing parts.

thanks guys for the advice!