Boo
12 years ago

Moving pictures, anyone?

64rotbox wrote:

Amazing! :smile: So many memories jogged there. The 'wacky races' display / chaos was the efforts of the "Ribble Valley VW Club" (who used to organise quite a bit of VW road rallying, autotesting etc. round Lancashire in the late '70s) and the "Clitheroe VW Club", a less serious offshoot. I remember those cars when they were still on the road! :lol: I think the dark red one with the passenger door off may have actually been driven there! (with door still on). The owner of that, Ian Chadwick also had a bright yellow 1964 KG which he used to road-rally. A proper ratty thing with Porsche 356 wheels and a roll cage in. Wish we'd had digital cameras then!

Anyway.. here's the matt black car.. Probably Friday evening or early Saturday as they look fairly undecorated compared to the film.

UserPostedImage

..and this is it still road-legal in '78 being the Clitheroe club stand.. They painted a number on the roof, inverted it and sold 'guess the number' tickets. On Sunday it was pushed back on its feet and the winner won some cash. It wasn't its first or last time inverted.. The owner used to go playing in Ribble Cement's quarries where he worked, and had rolled it a few times for fun!

UserPostedImage

This was Ribble Club's 'clown car' in '78.. They did some kind of arena display (I remember it had a coup[le of eccentric wheels) which is probably what led to the display of general chaos between the two clubs in '79 on the film!

UserPostedImage

PS.. Good to see the VW scene still contains so much argument and bickering! Back in the day it was all air vs. water cooled. Noad or anti Noad! :roll: :lol: :beer:

64rotbox
12 years ago
Excellent snaps! I always remember reading about the Ribble antics in the Safer Motoring show reports, but can't recall seeing it at first hand. I did go to Action in 1980, but I was nine years old and if I was witness to such activity, it's fallen out of my brain along the way! I do remember the engine change and the thing where people loaded and unloaded boxes into T3 Variants... possibly something involving buckets of water too.

Whatever happened to G.R. Derrick, I wonder...?
You can call me Al.
Boo
12 years ago

Thanks for the picture, Boo ! I still own (since 1964 ) the oval "1956 VW"... ...I have dozens of early pictures I don't have any with those "strange Rear Lights", so Many Thanks !!

Jollychuffy wrote:

Wow. Really pleased that it's still around, and what great synchronicity! That pic's been sitting in a tin unseen for years, and on flickr a couple since I scanned it, but happening to post it on a forum the owner happens to frequent, just after the car's restoration! :smile: When I next lay my hands on the print I'll get in touch to post it. It should be with the car! Might be some time before it turns up (chaotic filing system) but when it does it's yours.

Likewise if anybody knows SLH16's owner by the way.. They're most welcome to the original print when I find it.
pre67vw
12 years ago

I should have started this thread under 'general chat', more popular than I thought.

Old Blue wrote:

Moved.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
12 years ago

Moved.

pre67vw wrote:

Great thanks.:smile:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Jollychuffy
12 years ago
In an earlier reply to BOO I mentioned that I had fitted the original snowflakes back onto the rear of my Jungle Green 1956 Oval and hopefully can attach a more-recent ( summer 2011) photo showing the current unrestored ( 74,000 mile) overall state. I'd really welcome a print of that picture sometime, BOO, to add to my collection.[img]https://OS Rear[/img]

One week on I have at last mastered the technique of changing photographs from Jpeg to Pdf format thus enabling attachment of my picture of the rear of my '56 Oval wearing the correct rear lamps .  VW OS REAR MW.doc You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Barrie
12 years ago

Amazing! :smile: So many memories jogged there. The 'wacky races' display / chaos was the efforts of the "Ribble Valley VW Club" (who used to organise quite a bit of VW road rallying, autotesting etc. round Lancashire in the late '70s) and the "Clitheroe VW Club", a less serious offshoot. I remember those cars when they were still on the road! :lol: I think the dark red one with the passenger door off may have actually been driven there! (with door still on). The owner of that, Ian Chadwick also had a bright yellow 1964 KG which he used to road-rally. A proper ratty thing with Porsche 356 wheels and a roll cage in. Wish we'd had digital cameras then!

Anyway.. here's the matt black car.. Probably Friday evening or early Saturday as they look fairly undecorated compared to the film.

UserPostedImage

..and this is it still road-legal in '78 being the Clitheroe club stand.. They painted a number on the roof, inverted it and sold 'guess the number' tickets. On Sunday it was pushed back on its feet and the winner won some cash. It wasn't its first or last time inverted.. The owner used to go playing in Ribble Cement's quarries where he worked, and had rolled it a few times for fun!

UserPostedImage

This was Ribble Club's 'clown car' in '78.. They did some kind of arena display (I remember it had a coup[le of eccentric wheels) which is probably what led to the display of general chaos between the two clubs in '79 on the film!

UserPostedImage

PS.. Good to see the VW scene still contains so much argument and bickering! Back in the day it was all air vs. water cooled. Noad or anti Noad! :roll: :lol: :beer:

Boo wrote:

Hi All , my first post
https://www.smax.co.uk/about-smax.asp  ) and in 2003 Smax won the FIA top fuel championship. who would have thought it all came from a clown VW

Barrie

ps. A good shot of me at 10.27
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

Moving pictures, anyone?

64rotbox wrote:

Just whatched this again and at 17 seconds theres an old pall of mine in the jacket with the tash. :omg: All those years ago :wink:

Andy w