pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
Did all Hebs come originally fitted with cable brakes? Talking with Yan from the Heb Registry yesterday and he thought they all came with cable brakes, I had always thought that as they were based on deluxes that they would have got hydraulic brakes when then were introduced in 1950...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
usariemen
12 years ago
The majority of Hebs came with cable brakes just because they where made during the period when even the deluxe models all had cable brakes.
When VW switched to hydraulic brakes on the deluxe models they where delivered to Hebmüller that way and where converted to Hebs as well. So after a time delay for making a Heb from the sedan the Hebs came with hydraulic brakes just as the other export models.
Though not too many where build at Hebmüller after the intoduction of the hydraulic brakes.
That´s why there are not much around of those.
Master of my domaine.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
Thats what I thought as well.

How about your Heb ET? Did it originally come with cable brakes or hydraulic?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
zelensis61
12 years ago

Thats what I thought as well.

How about your Heb ET? Did it originally come with cable brakes or hydraulic?

pre67vw wrote:

Et's car is a bit of confusing with al those resto's.
If it has hydraulic brakes and wingnut seats it is a bit of a mix. Like old and new together. But I whould not mind driving around with it...if it drives:oops: .

Sorry ET.:p
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
heb623
12 years ago

. But I whould not mind driving around with it...if it drives:oops: .
.:p

zelensis61 wrote:

Auch ..., Peter you hurt my feelings!! (not really:d )

Its true the chassis is a litle bit of "old" and a litle bit of "new"!
It's a 1950 "standard" chassis rebuild to hydraulic brakes!
I took that chassis because it was laying around here and had to be converted to receive a synchromesh gearbox!!
This for the perfect working of the Saxomatic clutch the Heb is equipped with!
Because there had to be welded an extra bracket to it and due to the fact I did not like to ruin the original chassis (it s still with me)this looked the best solution to me!!
I know it's not correct (it should not have the wing nuts for the chairs) but no harm done because the Hebs original chassis is stil here!!!
When the Hen should be sold it will come with the "correct" chassis and the normal clutch and gearbox!:thumbup: !
Ok, ok, mea culpa but first I like to drive around and have some fun!!

And by the way; wrong wing nuts are not so eye catching "missing" or "period not correct" mounted parts, are they?:oops:

:twisted: ET

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

no harm done because the Hebs original chassis is stil here!!!

heb623 wrote:

So was the original chassis cable brakes or hydraulic?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
heb623
12 years ago

So was the original chassis cable brakes or hydraulic?

pre67vw wrote:

Sorry, hydraulic brakes!!!:oops:

six-o-one
vintagebug
12 years ago

So sometime between #601 (14th Feb 1950) & #623 the brakes changed from cable to hydraulic.

When was your Heb built ET?

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
heb623
12 years ago
The reaction of six o one and the question of vintige bug rang the bell in my head and I could remember it again!

By then, we speak 1998,I was confused about the fact that the chassis had rails to mount the front seats in combination with cable brakes!!! I did not know beter than (now I do) but I was just thinking they ever had changed the floorpans!!!
They did but they changed the oringinals with cheap repro!:thumbdn:

During the time my heb was build Feb. 18, 1950 there only were cable brakes and no[-x hydraulic brakes! I changed into hydraulic brakes! It seems to be a litle bit more secure way brake!!(read as less and more easy? maintenance):oops:

I apoligize myself if I upset somebody, OK? (be gentle and don't shoot me!:d )

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

So sometime between #601 (14th Feb 1950) & #623 the brakes changed from cable to hydraulic.

vintagebug wrote:

I would think that it was a bit more chaotic than that, it probably swaps back and forth for a bunch of cars before it became the norm.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW