Mike Peckham
12 years ago

It's a 65.

pre67vw wrote:

Ok, so it would originally have had the small air filter with the small diameter paper pipe coming from the left hand side and leading to an air scoop at the rear of the engine. The air scoop drew air from the left bank of cylinders and had its outlet just to the left of the pulley wheel coming through the rear tin plate just above the silencer.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
Is this left scoop part available anywhere?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
12 years ago

Is this left scoop part available anywhere?

pre67vw wrote:

You mean like in the photo you put up? I've not seen one like that before, the ones I've seen just poked through a hole in those little 'forget-me-not' tins and under the barrels.

An alternative is to take a hot air feed from the left heat exchanger, this was done on some fresh air (post '63) cars but I'm not too sure as to the dates. I imagine in some ways this would give superior preheat in the early moments of running.

This is one type of exchanger I've seen, with the heat outlet in a similar position to stale air '60-'63 cars.

UserPostedImage

It will work with the doghouse, it seems.

UserPostedImage

I've simply poked my preheat pipe (some garden pond hosing) under the little bits of barrel tin, and it's held on there with a cable tie. It worked beautifully all winter, but is not pretty and I'll do it properly next time the engine is out.

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
12 years ago
Here's the proper way to do what I've done, far left middle. I guess the little snout is more elegant, but just a hole will work nicely.

UserPostedImage
William
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

Here's the proper way to do what I've done, far left middle. I guess the little snout is more elegant, but just a hole will work nicely.

54 Gertie wrote:

So you just poke the paper pre-heat tube into that hole?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
RoRoVw
12 years ago
The cardboard tubing goes through the hole in the rear engine tinware (rear being the rear of the car), then through the small piece of vertical tinware and then pushes onto the small tube like scoop shown in your photo.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

then pushes onto the small tube like scoop shown in your photo.

RoRoVw wrote:

Looks like I'll have to make one of these then if it's not available as a repro part anywhere...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW