JL
  • JL
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi,

Perhaps a silly question but, my March 55 pan has 1 seat runner slightly taller than the other 3. I assumed that at some point the seat runner was replaced with a later alternative 'incorrect' item.

On closer inspection, it does not appear the runner has been replaced however I still assumed it 'incorrect' and that the replacement work very well done. It was my intention to replace the taller profile with a correct shorter profile runner at some point.

The odd thing is, recently I saw exactly the same thing on a 52 pan which has apparently never been touched with no signs of previous work. Both areas on the 52 and my 55 have excellent metal around the seat runner areas so there would be little need for replacing a seat runner surely?

Am I going mad? I assumed all seat runners should be the same height? Just seems a bit of a coincidence to find the same set up on a supposively 'untouched' example.

So, does anyone else have one slightly bigger than the others? :shock:

Many Thanks,
John
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
11 years ago
John, I am not completely sure about it but it seems to be normal. I asume you are talking about the space between top of the runner and the floorpan.
If I can find the article , I will let you know. This afternoon , I will take a mesurement of my floorpan. I think it is the drivers side rail, outside floorpan.
I have read it in a manual or on the net. A manual whould be more correct then some info on the net.

Greetings. Peter.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
If this is correct it would also explain the angle of the drivers seat on my Aug 52, it does appear to sit slightly higher on the drivers seat outside edge. My floorpan is original.

Will try and get some pics this weekend.

Cheers
Kev

JL
  • JL
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks for your replies, yes the distance from the top of the runner to the floorpan. Mine is the drivers outside rail and the same also for the 52..... I just thought it strange one side is different from the other. Like Kev, my seat was sitting at a slight tilt.

UserPostedImage

The rail you can't see in the photo, on the other side of the tunnel is also short. 3 short 1 tall.

If this is by design, it would be interesting to know the reason.

Thanks,
John

zelensis61
11 years ago
From Hebster- Kristian Ekstrand on another site...
" the left rail on the drivers seat was raised from Ch.nr. 1-0 128 116 in late 49'"

Best regards.

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
JL
  • JL
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Peter, thanks for the additional info. Looks like I now have a set of seat runners surplus to requirements :oops:

I'm just pleased I asked the question before I actually did anything.

Thanks again,
John