Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
ok so ive bought a 1955 oval (this is my 1st beetle, already own to splitscreen vans) and have heard/read the term matching number cars im guessing this means engine floor and body numbers match?? where do i find these numbers on the car??
ive found the engine one, i think...
UserPostedImage
i take it this is a 30hp engine due to the dynamo stand being part of the engine case.

i amd just trying to gather as much information/learn about it before i decide what to do with it other than enjoy driving it!
I want to service the motor but am a little confused on the timing settings and gaps the rockers should be set at as the 30hp motor is new to me

thanks in advance any info gladly recieved

Sean
1955 LHD Oval / 1960 11 window microbus - they're both pretty low
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
11 years ago
Hi Sean,
'Matching numbers' usually means 100% matching everything including beam and gearbox too,
although often just body, engine and pan.

That looks like a June '55 engine number so could well be the original engine?
The body number is stamped into the panel below the fuel tank, near the riveted plate with the chassis number.
(which is also stamped under the back seat)

Have you got any pictures of your oval?

Malc
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
cheers Malc i will have a look and dig out the rest of the numbers then. Heres some pictures of it, the blue paint work and holes in the wings are done by the old chap that had it before the guy i bought it from.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

its probably not to everyones taste on here, but i do plan to try and continue to remove the blue possibly boat paint from the exterior tidy up a few of the rust areas get the holes fixed in the wings (included in the sale where 2 extra doors and a front bonnet painted to match the og colour)so would be nice to fit them at some point.

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Hi Murphy did you get this car from Barnsley by any chance ?????

Andy W
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
it came from Doncaster Andy

Sean
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Just found theese.Was going to look at her but another bug came up so i had that instead. So were abouts are you baced????

Andy W  13062009022.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  13062009024.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
im up in Bradford
RoRoVw
11 years ago
Plenty of members of The Historic VW Club and pre 67 forum members here in the Bradford area if you need any advice with the oval, Sean. Give us a shout.

Cheers,
Rob.
pre67vw
11 years ago
Matching numbers is a way of expressing how original the car is, meaning that it's so original it still has the original engine, gearbox, chassis and body. IMHO, It's kind of an oxymoron to want a matching numbers car that is 'slammed' :wink:

What are your plans for it?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
An Oxymoron whats one of those??? the only real reason i asked the question was out of curiosity to find out what i had. At present im just planning to use it,enjoy driving it and bring back the original colour.

I could do with some info about setting the timing of it and valve clearances as its a bit noisey and is pretty gutless and the slightest sign of an incline which is a common thing living up in Bradford.

Sean
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Are you going to the Hooton Lodge show in Rotherham 27 to 29 July ????

Andy W
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

An Oxymoron whats one of those??? the only real reason i asked the question was out of curiosity to find out what i had. At present im just planning to use it,enjoy driving it and bring back the original colour.

I could do with some info about setting the timing of it and valve clearances as its a bit noisey and is pretty gutless and the slightest sign of an incline which is a common thing living up in Bradford.

Sean

Murphy wrote:

No offense I love your car being n earley oval n all, but i rekon the best way to go is for ratlook plus u save geting toused by sum fleacing body paint shop.Just find sum kool wheels for it n dont be put of by sum of the purest geezers:thumbup:
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Has she got a narrowd front axle??

Andy W
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

Has she got a narrowd front axle??

Andy W

AW wrote:

looks like it. save him the trouble of fitting one:d
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago

Are you going to the Hooton Lodge show in Rotherham 27 to 29 July ????

Andy W

AW wrote:

Dub Odyssey yes i am i will be camping and using one of my buses

UserPostedImage

I think some one was commenting on one of them in a post somewhere else on this forum

Sean
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I should be going down on sunday hope to put a name to a face :beer: .
Will have to keep a look out for one of your vans.

Andy W
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

UserPostedImage

I think some one was commenting on one of them in a post somewhere else on this forum

Sean

Murphy wrote:

A kool bug n 2 such kool buses.Lovin it:beer: