fugazi kid
11 years ago
hi richard ,i putting in new heater cables ,its a may 59 bug ,can you tell me if your control L and R nob steel tube witch is welded to the tunnel has a small round pin inside ,its to slot in to work the heaters? iv seen it in other beetles.mine has no pin,and i don't see how it would work without the pin. could you have a look ,thanks phil
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

hi richard ,i putting in new heater cables ,its a may 59 bug ,can you tell me if your control L and R nob steel tube witch is welded to the tunnel has a small round pin inside ,its to slot in to work the heaters? iv seen it in other beetles.mine has no pin,and i don't see how it would work without the pin. could you have a look ,thanks phil

fugazi kid wrote:

Hi Phil.

I've changed loads of these heater cables over the years and yes, there should be a pin in there. This is what the heater cable 'folds' over.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
Finding time just spend just a few hours on this car has been difficult. The chassis and body have not been touched since December, but I have spent the odd hour here and there doing bits and pieces, mainly de-greasing, cleaning and painting parts. I'm not aiming for this car to be a 100-point restoration job, but I want it to look clean and tidy!

Front brakes...
UserPostedImage

Stub axle and arms...
UserPostedImage

Pedal cluster...
UserPostedImage

Stripped down. All three circlips on the cluster shattered and the larger two are an unusual size that is hard to track down. Luckily, I rebuilt a couple of 58-64 clusters a few years ago and managed to find the correct circlips so I have a few spares. The brake return spring is also broken and is another hard-to-find part (RHD 58-64 only). Fortunately, I have a NOS spare somewhere..
UserPostedImage

A few parts cleaned and painted...
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
karlito
11 years ago
There has been a bit of progress now Rich...
Alex Noel
11 years ago
I'm looking forward to watching this one:d I have a 1958 UK bug which I believe was originally Garnet red. I have had it for about 13 years at a guess. I got it as a stocker,turned it into a 12.30 sec @108mph car. It has sat 5 years now and is going stock again slowly. It looks tatty but is still rock solid apart from the bottom of the framehead.

Keep the pics and info coming to edge me to get on with mine again.

This is mine as it is at the moment.

UserPostedImage
andylham
11 years ago

any updates on this rich?
DBKUK
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
Nothing major yet Andy. Waiting for those rear crossmember panels to arrive before work starts on the shell. The chassis is half done and work will start in ernest soon.
69project
11 years ago

A 1968 1200 is not such a bad model to go for. Simple base model painted interior, blade bumpers as from 1952, 'modern' looks, some nice colours, and the biggest plus 12volt electrics.:beer:

Old Blue wrote:

Only issue would be that it's a 68 then.....:p
Car less.....
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
About time I updated this restoration thread!

Things have been moving along with the '59. The floorpan is almost finished with just a few small areas needing a little bit of work. Karl has done a great job in preserving as much of the original metal as possible.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley
10 years ago
The bodywork is starting to look a whole lot worse than first suspected...
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

So the body was placed back on the floorpan and braced...
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

O/S rear quarter/heater channel dissolved when attacked with the angle grinder:
UserPostedImage

More poking, more rust...
UserPostedImage

Chop chop chop...
UserPostedImage

More chopping...
UserPostedImage

Remains of the N/S heater channel...
UserPostedImage

Trial fitting of new Gerson N/S heater channel..
UserPostedImage

Back on the floorpan with N/S heater channel and Hooky's door pillar repair fitted...
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley
10 years ago
UserPostedImage
bigoval
10 years ago
But what have you got hiding under the cover.....?
Rich Oakley
10 years ago

But what have you got hiding under the cover.....?

Originally Posted by: bigoval 

That's a RHD '63 Ragtop belonging to Karl.
ianmac
10 years ago
Looking good :thumbup:
Robb
9 years ago
i hear this needs updating :wink:
karlito
9 years ago
Im planning on getting it done over the next couple of weeks, its looking nice...