mike youles
11 years ago
New to this forum but have just purchased a September 1958 build RHD VW Beetle in Garnet Red.

My business partner and I prepare historic race cars under the name of Kirkmichael Motorsport Ltd, before Kirk joined me I operated under the name Youles Racing.

I have raced a myriad of different cars but predominantly in my career have driven Porsches, so when looking for an unusual project for a pre-1960 saloon car, the appeal of a Beetle was too much to resist.

Examples of our previous projects can be viewed here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_youles/ 

I hope I have posted this in the correct forum and will start posting photographs when work starts in about 10 days time.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
11 years ago
:thumbup:

What are you going to do to it? Okrasa engine maybe?

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mike youles
11 years ago
We are going to run the car in the "HRDC Touring Greats" Series so permissable modifications are determined by the technical regulations of that series.

In principle, the engine capacity can be increased by 25% so we will have a 1500cc engine built. Internals are free, head castings are to be as original, induction manifolds are free and Webers are permissible. Being new to Beetles we need to research best options on engine builder or component supplier if we build our own but no doubt a steel crank, rods and forged pistons will be required.

We have to retain the swing axle rear suspension but our fabricator was involved in the build of a very successful Formula Vee car which had some unique suspension mods which we will introduce into the car. Gearbox will have Hewland internals and a LSD.

Front suspension again will be heavily modified within the spirit of the regulations, solid front disc brakes of a type similar to later production cars are allowed.

We will install a T45 full cage, welded to the chassis and then bolted into the sills of the bodyshell. Full trim needs to be retained.

The cars run on historic type Dunlop Cr65 tyres.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
I visited Mike today at his workshop and his Beetle is a '59 Garnet Red model like mine- nice to meet you Mike!

Mike gave Karl McCarthy and I a tour of his workshop and showed us some of the 'historic' racing projects he is working on- fascinating stuff. I am looking forward to updates on this project and eventually seeing it at Goodwood!

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
karlito
11 years ago
Just to echo Rich, was a very interesting afternoon indeed.

Looking forward to seeing it start to take shape Mike, please don't hesitate to get in touch if you need any help.
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago
:smile: Has your daughter still got the Judson Sebring Sprite Mike?

https://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/mike-youles-sprite.htm 
John.
mike youles
11 years ago
Hi John,

Trust all is well with you.

No, she sold it when she got married. I promised to build her a replacement, which I eventually did....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_youles/sets/72157623178461467/ 

Trouble is, it took so long she's had a daughter and twin boys since so not much good. Its currently up for sale.

Mikw
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

Hi John,

Trust all is well with you.

No, she sold it when she got married. I promised to build her a replacement, which I eventually did....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_youles/sets/72157623178461467/ 

Trouble is, it took so long she's had a daughter and twin boys since so not much good. Its currently up for sale.

Mikw

mike youles wrote:

Ahhh life gets in the way of cherished dreams.:d I understand.

Pleased to see you're adding your expertise to the VW hobby. The Formula V guys are the ones to tap-up for reliable demon tweeks.

John.
11 years ago
Racing Rally bug at Race Retro this year...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

:)
www.vwoval.co.uk
11 years ago

Full trim needs to be retained.

mike youles wrote:

Does this mean seats? If not then can I buy them please? :beer:
www.vwoval.co.uk
karlito
11 years ago
Is that Oval still in use?
Rich and myself were discussing it on the way back from mikes!

(Mikes car has no interior by the way)