Rich Oakley
10 years ago
A couple of weeks ago, my good friend and fellow pre67vw member Mike Peckham heard from a non-VW enthusiast colleague about a 1958 Beetle that was coming up for auction. Apparently the car had been imported from Malta in 1959 (hence RHD). I went along to the auction in Kent last week with a wallet full of cash...

On inspection, the car turned out to be very solid but had been very badly repainted in gold paint (originally Diamond Grey), over the wing beading, rubbers etc. The interior was worn but all original. It needed some work to the door bottoms and engine lid, but was otherwise really good.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Bidding started at way beyond what I expected it to sell for, so I was out straight away. I wonder who bought it??
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RoRoVw
10 years ago
So how much did it sell for?
Rob.
Rich Oakley
10 years ago

So how much did it sell for?
Rob.

RoRoVw wrote:

£6k all in.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
RoRoVw
10 years ago
Thanks for that, Rich.
A good price, although of course the reg. number must be responsible for quite a bit of that price.
Cheers,
Rob.
Rich Oakley
10 years ago

Thanks for that, Rich.
A good price, although of course the reg. number must be responsible for quite a bit of that price.
Cheers,
Rob.

RoRoVw wrote:

That's a fair point Rob, however I wouldn't think there's a massive amount of value in that plate (not very good letters). Perhaps £800-£1000.