Andy Sparks
17 years ago
Guys amongst you, you all seem to have loads of experience with all things convertable.

If i was looking for a project, what sort of things should i be looking for.
I suppose the reason i ask is that everything i seem to find has already been through the hands of a collector, so is missing all the rare kab only parts.

Are there issues finding some of the rare parts like tack strips, etc, also what are the lower body repair panels like to find? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy
You can never have too many accessories on your car. šŸ™‚
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
17 years ago
What sort of year are you talking about?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
Oval really, would love ribbed doors though, and just love heart lights.

Really want a semaphore car as well, so i suppose look round Germany or UK, although i don't really think that i will find a good selection over here

What Iā€™m after is peoples thoughts on what would be a no-no. I know that I do not want a car that has been stripped of all the good bits, as finding them will be a nightmare, unless a donor car turned up.

Cheers

Andy
pre67vw
17 years ago
In my opinion, by far the most important thing is it being structurally solid. The only Karmann strengthener parts that are readily available are the rails that run below the heater channels. There are quite a few others (next to bonnet hinges, front inner wheel wells, cross brace under rear seat, and 'webs' in the door corners) that are not available.

Next on the list without a doubt is the decklid/engine cover, those are pretty expensive to replace although you could always go for a wolf made replica. Then it would be the rear window, pretty hard to get hold of.

Tack strips for the hood are available although I've heard the quality is not great.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the rarety of any other bits on an oval cab. If it was a split cab then its a whole different ball game.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
Cheers.

Think i will be looking for a while, i really do not want to bite off more that i can chew on this.

The main reason why i do not want a stripped car is the expence of the bits.
I've see early kab parts rocket in price recently. i got offered a good Kab rear view mirror a little while ago for just over £200. Oh well lesson learned i suppose.

Also will wait to see what happens with work, No point in buy a restoration if you cannot afford to restore it, and i cannot imagine that it will be cheap. Although important lessons were learned on my last resto.

Andy

six-o-one
17 years ago
It's got 'Andy's cab' written all over it! :wink:

5796.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
Ooooh this is a lovely Kab. But ribbed doors and snowflake lights is that correct?

Cheers

Andy
six-o-one
17 years ago
The doors are right, not sure when the rear lights changed though?
2splits
17 years ago
I can help here.

That BBT car looks to be a US export model. In April 1955, US (Canadian as well) cars had the optional bullets and snowflakes with semaphores removed (boxes filled in). In May 1955, all US bound 55's had snowflakes and bullets.

I recently restored my 55 convertible. I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure the convertible is as solid as possible. Unlike a sedan, water can (and does) get in over the years, you won't know it until you take the car apart!

Another thing to be aware of is the cost of doing the top. I bet I have $5,000 wrapped up into my top, by using correct materials and highest quality wood. The effect is outstanding, but it was way more expensive than I had expected.

Regarding the tack strips, original ones are next to impossible to find. Luckily, my Kab at two of the three originals, and I was able to locate the other. But I know people look for years for the correct strips. The repros are junk and require shaping and grinding.

It is worth it in the end. An oval cabrio is probably one of the most beautiful of all VW's in my opinion.

Good luck!
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
2splits
17 years ago
Actually, I think I notice on that BBT car the Canadian badging on the rear passenger side fender! So, yeah, its an export model.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
2splits
17 years ago
Here is my 55 vert:

Before Resto

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

After:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
2 Splits, your Karmann is lovely, i need to stop looking at these, i know i'm going to spend money. :wink:

As i thought though, you have egg shell lights on yours. Not the later later snowflake 56-61 lights. Still not convinced that these are correct. I think that yours are correct for this car???

Looks like this car as single tail pipe as well, and most other early parts, straight gear shift, big filler cap/flat tank, steering wheel. shame no semafores, gutted. Still have enquired about how much
2splits
17 years ago

2 Splits, your Karmann is lovely, i need to stop looking at these, i know i'm going to spend money. :wink:

As i thought though, you have egg shell lights on yours. Not the later later snowflake 56-61 lights. Still not convinced that these are correct. I think that yours are correct for this car???

Looks like this car as single tail pipe as well, and most other early parts, straight gear shift, big filler cap/flat tank, steering wheel. shame no semafores, gutted. Still have enquired about how much

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

Andy, trust me on this. I have done a TON of research on this as 1955 is the trickest year for US bound cars. Take a look at the UNRESTORED picture of my car. Notice the snowflakes and bullets? My car was built in April 1955. When I restored the car, I found the semaphore boxes welded up. The option codes for my car from VW indicated the car was built with optional "blinkers". When I restored the car, I opened up the boxes, shaved the bullets and put a NOS set of eggs for taillights. Which is still technically correct for a US bound April 55 car. If my car was built in May, I would not have done so.

Gunter from BBT confirmed the car is an export model, so it is very correct. The price he quoted my was about 20,000 euro. I VERY strongly believe this is a VERY VERY original car and has never been touched. Its a pretty fair price as well. If you are serious, I could be talked into parting with my kabrio.... :)

Good luck!
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
2splits
17 years ago
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_08_01/wired_08_01.htm 

You may find this helpful.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
Hiya, cheers. i must admit to not knowing an awful lot about USA 55s, cheers for your advice.

Don't think my bank manager would like me buying your car.

Did you ay Gunter wants 20,000 Euros for this car?

Andy

2splits
17 years ago
19,950 to be exact.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
20,000euro should get you into a nicely restored car in Germany, not just a project, no matter how good.

2splits - Should my `58 Kabrio have a front tack strip on the roof or only the two at the back? (Its a bit "late model" for you, I realise!!)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
six-o-one
17 years ago
You could have bought a '51 cab from BBT a couple of years ago for not much more! :shock:

It does sound a bit expensive to me too :?
2splits
17 years ago
Consider these prices:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&keywords=&type=text&stype=all&username=&yearfrom=1939&yearto=1957&model%5B%5D=Bug+-+Split+Window+-+Convertible&model%5B%5D=Bug+-+Oval+Window+-+Convertible&section%5B%5D=&wanted=show&zip=&zipdist=0&state%5B%5D=&usaregion=&country=&sort=date&sort_order=DESC&submitButton=Search 

20,000 is not out of the realm. Of course, it is BBT, so the prices are always at a premium (especially when being quoted to Americans I suspect).

And yes JD, I believe you should have all three tack strips.

If you can find a nicely restored oval convertible for 20,000 Euro's, you let me know!

P.S. - That 51 cabrio I believe was a mess. Its for sale now for 36,000 euro.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356