billy739
10 years ago
anyone got any pics of a pre 55 chassis and a post 55 chassis?

been offered a december 53 chassis but want to see if it looks like one!

cheers all
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
10 years ago
What about the Vin number? That whould give you an idea what year it is.

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
billy739
10 years ago
yeap vin no is correct , just wanted to check the vin is correct for the chassis
vintagebug
10 years ago
The heater control knob is located behind the handbrake lever on pre-August '55 chassis. I think it is further forward after August '55?
I'm sure there are other differences too, I just don't remember them. Maybe the studs on the floorpans for the rubber mats?

Just remembered that the seat mounts are different and I think the rear of the pans are different too (pre & post August 1955).

Here's a pic of the heater control from an October '53-  Heater Control.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
vintagebug
10 years ago
A couple more differences:-

The pressings on the floorpans changed and the gearstick location was moved further forward, both in August '55.

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Mike Peckham
10 years ago
Pre 08/55 the handbrake lever operates a push rod that actuates the longer brake cables from the head of the chassis. A hang over from the days of cable brakes I suppose?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.