Old Blue
10 years ago
Jon's oval is through another front wheel bearing.

When were the ball race bearings replaced with roller bearings?

Are roller still available?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Old Blue
10 years ago
Anybody, anybody...
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Zubeir Moin
10 years ago
Ball bearings in the front were replaced with roller bearings with the introduction of Ball Joint System in 1966 in VW Beetles. Beetle suspension with King Pin Link Pin system upto 1965, was the last Beetle with ball bearing.

Zubeir Moin
Convenor & President
Classic Volkswagen Club of Bangladesh
Old Blue
10 years ago

Ball bearings in the front were replaced with roller bearings with the introduction of Ball Joint System in 1966 in VW Beetles. Beetle suspension with King Pin Link Pin system upto 1965, was the last Beetle with ball bearing.

Originally Posted by: Zubeir Moin 

Thank you for your response. It would make sense that while reviewing the front axle VW would have introduced any other changes at the same time.

buzlno
10 years ago
The ball bearings are available at Wolfsburg West but are considerably more money than the tapered rollers which I installed in my 1960 with no difficulties.
Zubeir Moin
10 years ago
If there is grease in the bearings, I found ball bearings outlive tappered ones. Please have them greased and adjusted at regular intervals, I am sure they will give u very good mileage.

Zubeir Moin
Convenor & President
Classic Volkswagen Club of Bangladesh
Old Blue
10 years ago

If there is grease in the bearings, I found ball bearings outlive tappered ones. Please have them greased and adjusted at regular intervals, I am sure they will give u very good mileage.

Originally Posted by: Zubeir Moin 

Yes you are right, I've found ball bearings last longer. Just that my son doesn't seem to think that they should be regularly checked and greased.

Old Blue
10 years ago
Tapered bearing race fitted both sides,and well packed with grease. I do wonder with the car lowered so much at the front, if this puts extra strain on wheel bearings?

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Should be ok with the bearings if fitted right as for the ball joints and dust covers (if on a post 65 beam) who knows. If its been lowered that much how is the bump steer or don't you suffer with it ??

Andy W
Old Blue
10 years ago

Should be ok with the bearings if fitted right as for the ball joints and dust covers (if on a post 65 beam) who knows. If its been lowered that much how is the bump steer or don't you suffer with it ??

Andy W

Originally Posted by: AW 

It does seem that on lowered cars the rear wheel bearings can suffer from some oil starvation due to the camber.

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
That is true but we were on about the fronts? As for the rear yes they can be shot in no time. I was told some one dose a sealed unit for the rears but if its true or who dose them I don't know.

Andy W