jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi all,

I bought a very original 1959 Beetle last year that originated from Sweden. Will gladly post up a pic if interested. Somewhere along the way all the Swedish history has been lost. I believe it only had one Swedish owner for 40 years but I don't have any real proof of this. I was trawling the internet last week and came across an address you could write to in Sweden where you could get details of past owners of a vehicle but I can't for the life of me find it now!! Does anyone here know where to find that information please? I'd love to find out if the original owner is still alive... My cars on its original engine and it's done only approximately 24000 miles. I'm trying to obtain UK owner information too in the hope I can trace the lost paperwork. It was in Total VW magazine back in 2000 and the article mentioned it had full history back then so it has been lost in the last 15 years.

Many thanks
Jon
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
I cannot help with any of the above but would love to see a photo of her.

Andy W
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi Andy, sure here goes.

UserPostedImage 
vintagebug
9 years ago
I can't help you either Jon, but that's a lovely looking car. Didn't European '59 Beetles have semaphores though?

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi Dave,

I'll bow to others greater knowledge on here, but I think the cars destined for Swedish market were different in 59.... I believe it's always had the front indicators and I have the original clear lenses still. It's never been restored, so the paint is a little thin in places! the mileage is believed genuine.

Cheers
Jon
onion
9 years ago
Hi, Swedish 59´s still had semaphores, the 1960 model year post aug 59 had clear front indicators and flashing rear brake lights in an oval light with red plastic lenses.
vintagebug
9 years ago

Hi Dave,

...I think the cars destined for Swedish market were different in 59.... I believe it's always had the front indicators...

Cheers
Jon

Originally Posted by: jb71 

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Every day's a school day, as they say :-)

Considering it's never been restored, that's an amazing car you've got there!

Dave
onion
9 years ago
Hi, just looked closer at your photo, yours is definitely a 1960 year model, as it has push button door handles,and i think it is a 1960 one year only colour too ,Indigo blue with water blue interior.. Nice car by the way.
vintagebug
9 years ago

Hi, Swedish 59´s still had semaphores, the 1960 model year post aug 59 had clear front indicators and flashing rear brake lights in an oval light with red plastic lenses.

Originally Posted by: onion 

Thanks Owen, I'll go with that as you probably know more about early Swedish Beetles than anyone on this site. So maybe this one's a '60 model year (ie > Aug '59)?

Dave
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
yes looks like a late 59 :d but still she looks nice :thumbup:

Andy W
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Wow a flurry of action. It's a Dec 59 car, so yes a 60 model year. In Indigo blue, and I think the paint is all or mostly original. Interior is cloth, will find a pic later.
I'm really smitten with the car as you can probably tell. Came with wheel beauty rings but I prefer the car without them. Thanks for all the positive comments!
Robb
9 years ago
yes that's a 60.

I remember it being featured in a magazine a few years ago now, think it was VW motoring and owned by a lady......low mileage back then I think also?
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi Robb, Sounds like the same car. I have a couple of magazines the last owner gave me. It was in VW Motoring in June 2000 and Total VW in Sept 2000. At the time the mileage was around 18,000.
Cheers
Jon
Robb
9 years ago
good to hear that history is still with the car!

whats the mileage now?

when I first saw my 67 it had only just covered 50k, but had reached 80k by the time I actually had the chance to buy it!

don't change a thing- cool car!
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi Robb, yes I sort of know the history to the car but I would love to have all the old paperwork, and service info. I'm trying to contact the UK owners since it was imported, there's been 4. I've already been in touch with the lady who had it in the mag articles. Would love to get some old pics of it in Sweden too but that's probably wishful thinking!! It only had the one owner in Sweden though so perhaps that's possible...

Mileage is now approx 38,000km so that's about 24,000 miles.

No I won't be changing a thing, although I would like to bolt on indicator lights onto the rear bumper if that's possible as it does have the flashing rear brake lights which can be hard to see. Any mod would have to be totally reversible though.

Cheers

Jon
Rich Oakley
9 years ago
It's a lovely car indeed, one of the nicest 60 models around. I didn't realise that the previous owner Steve had sold it recently?

Aparently in Sweden, you could order 1959 models from Aug 1958, with flashing indicators instead of semaphores (an option you would have to specify).
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Thanks Rich, yes I bought it from Steve (a very nice Gent!) back in Oct/Nov.
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Guys - any suggestions for where to get her serviced in the spring? I'm based in Sussex.
Thanks
Jon
Rich Oakley
9 years ago

Guys - any suggestions for where to get her serviced in the spring? I'm based in Sussex.
Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted by: jb71 

Hi Jon,

Without a doubt, Karl McCarthy:

[email protected]

He's in Henfield. Whereabouts are you in Sussex?

Cheers.
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
jb71
  • jb71
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Henfield is perfect. I live far side of Haywards Heath and work nr Horsham.
Thanks Rich! I'll make contact. :thumbup: