1974dudley
8 years ago
Ok not much more done on the split, but last night the front wings bumpers and three 16 inch wheels for my deluxe split all went away for blasting.
1974dudley
8 years ago
Wheels blasted and back home for a bit of etch, the bumpers are to go to etch tomorrow and the rear will need a very small repair. the front wings need a small blast in one area before they can receive primer. I hope that all that will happen tomorrow. the next stage will be masking as i will get some more primer onto the car. I will then start the body prep for its first coat of paint.

I will then have some 15 smoothies for sale which will pay for tyres for the 16 inch wheels. Soon I will be fitting the 16 wheels to the 52 deluxe chassis. I will have to start a new thread on the deluxe build................. I can maybe do some work on it while waiting on the primer to shrink / settle on the standard.

1974dudley
8 years ago
Some more rubbing and some blasting too and the front wings are bare metalled and the bumpers are primed. The panels are now pretty much all rubbed down.  DSCI1786.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCI1787.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
1974dudley
8 years ago
The 3 x 16 wheels have been primed up and just need the clips fitted. time has been arranged off work for some pre paint body work. Need to get some filler applied to some low spots before the next coats of primer so that all can sink before my time off work. Masking begins soon and possibly some paint inside doors.
1974dudley
8 years ago
Rubbing, fitting panels, removing panels and more rubbing. Around 35 hours in now. Updates soon. More time off this weekend and a few days off next week, should take things much closer to paint.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
8 years ago
Those wings look really clean. Did they need a lot of metal working to get them straight?

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
1974dudley
8 years ago
The wings are the ones that came with the car and they are being modified to suit a split but are not split items. The profile is good on them and I'm happy with the fit and wire tubings are being installed to make them even closer to original. The split standard wings are so hard to find and most of them are in such bad condition that there is little or no originality left . When I eventually get a set that is useable and affordable I will snap them up and do the necessary repairs and get them sorted for the car. The main objective at the minute is to get the body in paint before winter kicks in and to get the split useable again rather than a mass of parts around the garage. As they are bolt on bolt off items and as the gersons ones are hard to get and not 100% exact I am happy to modify what I have for now as I feel that I can get them very close to an original and possibly better than some of the repaired originals I have been offered. I have a second split to finish when this one is painted and I want to get its welding finished over the Christmas holidays too and to have it finished early in 2016. This is because I have decided that I want a kubel and will be trying to get one over the coming months. Looking for og body and floor and mechanicals will be og. I'm trying to sort a deal on an engine box and axle from a kubel to put into storage in anticipation of the next project as most are running later boxes with bus reduction hubs and later engines. If I get a kubel I want the full WW2 experience with limited slip diff reduction boxes 19 hp crash box and not a 1970s 1300 or 1600 in it.
1974dudley
8 years ago
Filler work is coming to and end and new primer will hopefully be on the body at the weekend if things work out over the next few days. Hopefully I will get some new pictures up soon for you to see progress.
1974dudley
8 years ago
Three days off work to play with the split bugs.
1974dudley
8 years ago
More updates soon........................
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
8 years ago
:roll:

Andy W
1974dudley
8 years ago
I will take some updated pics on Friday when I am down at the shed where the car currently is. Been working away at the panels getting them as nice as possible. All the wings are now ready for final primer. The work on the roof is almost finished so the car is much closer now. As the car isn't at the house the speed of the work has slowed down. The benefit is that the prep work which is being carried out by myself is able to be ok'd by the painter so it keeps the paintwork costs down considerably. The other 52 has now got a correct split bonnet so I just need four wings.If anyone has a lead on deluxe split wings even ones needing work let me know thanks.
1974dudley
8 years ago
Was at the shed today and grabbed a few shots of the split. The body work is getting very close now. It probably looks a little worse as its quite dusty looking but it's getting there, a little slower than I hoped but I think I'm on the home straight. Got some undercoat on the panels today showing up a few areas still requiring a little fettling.  lsj 8.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  lsj 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  lsj 2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  lsj 3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  lsj 4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  lsj 5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Fernando Pal
8 years ago
It´s a good job, congratulions:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FP
11 sedan de luxe oval
6/1955
early bay camper 4/1971
1974dudley
7 years ago
The 52 standard bonnet had been braised in the past but some areas needed a fresh repair before painting, so I got the grinder and welder out again. The result is a solid standard split bonnet again. Wire tubes are on the wings now too so the final bodywork will commence now.

I've been distracted by another split project of mine which I have been quietly working on in the background a 1952 deluxe. I am pleased to say that it is also coming along nicely and I would really like to get the metal work finished on it before bringing the freshly painted standard home. I am doing a bit to it each night. Front wings are finished, rear wings are finished, new rear bumper brackets have been manufactured and fitted. Split bonnet has been trial fitted and is sitting well. The floor pan is finished barr the brake pipes, with a running engine, crash box, axle steering, new fuel line installed in the chassis etc . Final push is on with the deluxe which will help with getting the standard home. I will try and get a new thread up on the 52 deluxe.
1974dudley
7 years ago
OK THINGS HAVE STARTED TO MOVE ALONG AGAIN SO THE POSTS ON MY STANDARD 52 WILL BE BACK.

HOPEFULLY NOT TOO LATE AS THE FUN BIT WILL COMMENCE SHORTLY. PAINT YES PAINT...... YES THAT'S RIGHT ......PAINT.........

THIRD TIME LUCKY AS THE MICRO BLISTERS AND COLOUR MISMATCHES IN THE DISTANT PAST ARE A MERE UNPLESANT MEMORY NOW.

I CAN RECALL MANY TIMES IT HAD ALMOST MADE ME SAY I WILL SELL IT............ THIRD BARE METAL RESPRAY IN MY OWNERSHIP LOL.

I WILL GET TO THE BODY SHOP FOR ITS LAST PRE PAINT PICS AND THEN IF ROB CAN HOLD OFF FOR A BIT AS I WOULD LIKE TO COMPLETE THIS THREAD HERE THE FORUM FOLDS. I WILL URGE THE BODY SHOP TO GET CRACKING WITH THE FINAL STAGES. :?