AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
8 years ago
Well looking around for a split or something and found a 51 crotch and a Zwitter. Both been slammed and messed with 😳 . Lots of people making noises of would love that and cool ride man. But I wonder if they had left them as VW intended that someone would had had them by now. :cry: The blue one is the Zwitt and the other the crotch. How it was slammed and how it is now.

Andy W  zwitt.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  crotch.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  crotch1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rattletrap
8 years ago
Love the 51 (pre-slammed or course)

Split Beetles and Split busses are too often messed up:(
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
AW
  • AW
8 years ago
Hi there Rattletrap :thumbup: Your P/M Box is full :omg:

Andy W
Hebster52
8 years ago
Well, usually the slammed splits are done without spoiling anything so the slamming is reversable pretty easy...
The HebsterWerks.
AW
  • AW
8 years ago
Apart from the floor pan and frame head get damaged 😶

Andy W
peet15
8 years ago
Love a slammed split!
www.beetlecommunity.com - Tips & Tricks, tutorials and an international Beetle meeting calendar
Rattletrap
8 years ago

Love a slammed split!

Originally Posted by: peet15 

Why:?
To most people here, the two cars shown at the start of this thread have been wasted. That's how I feel anyway:thumbdn:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
kevsplitty
8 years ago

Why:?
To most people here, the two cars shown at the start of this thread have been wasted. That's how I feel anyway:thumbdn:

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

I agree, to do it to a late 60's or 70's bug i can except but to a split, oval or early 60's bug that are getting rarer to find i just don't get it but its all about opinions,i think the older generations like im nearing now lol who grew up with those appreciate the values of them in their original state, but each to their own,at the end of the day its the owners car to do as he or she wants,we might not like it tho :lol:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
8 years ago
Well, they're out being driven and enjoyed and aren´t rotting away somewhere. That´s a damn waste, so even this is a good start, even if it isn´t what I´d do to my own car.

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
356boy
8 years ago
If anyone knows of a split for sale slammed or stock please pm me. Not looking for a project car though must be a driver.
Thanks
Rattletrap
8 years ago

Well, they're out being driven and enjoyed and aren´t rotting away somewhere. That´s a damn waste, so even this is a good start, even if it isn´t what I´d do to my own car.

Originally Posted by: JD 

I don't think that anyone would leave a split to just rot away - not at today's prices:wink:

AW
  • AW
8 years ago
LOL :omg:

Andy W
mmcnult1
8 years ago
Hi, the Blue 1953 Zwitter is now owned by me. I managed to rescue it before it was driven at all slammed like that. The guy who had it still had the original front beam and wheels which I managed to get from him. I also have its original spindles as he fitted a 5" narrowed beam and dropped spindles. Really annoyingly though, instead of getting some new narrowed track rods, he shortened the original split ones!!! Grr!!! So, now I have to find some as well as the rest of the bits.

The car is surprisingly solid and is unrestored/modified apart from the obvious slamming. It was found in a barn in France and was off the road since 1973 - so it hasn't been raped of it's Zwitter only bits and as far as I can see most are present. Only the rear window rubber bits are not present on the car but I did find them in a box of bits I got with the car - sadly they've had bits thrown on them and they are damaged. The car also doesn't have it's original engine (a later twin-port) so i'll be looking for a more period correct engine for it as a long term goal.

Things I need to look for as far as I can see so far (owned it for two weeks):

That engine - period (ish) correct....maybe do some kind of vintage speed thing with this?
Headlamps are non matching - one with 5 & 7 O'clock screws, one with 2 & 7 O'clock screws - can anyone tell me which is correct? (I believe 5 & 7?). I don't think the glasses in the lights are incorrect as well? No VW sign at the top.
Rear drum - 1 non-original fitted - sits further into the arch than the other side?
Rear wings - should they be ribbed on this car? If so they're not original to it. one is badly rusted - I believe the fronts are correct although again one is damaged and will need work.
2 x wiper blades (split era I think...arms are tiny thin round section ones).
As far as I can see so far the interior has everything present and is all correct, if showing wear of course!!

If anyone would be willing to help me out with some parts or advice on this car and taking it back to how it should be I'd appreciate it. This is my first real vintage VW and I sold my pride and joy 66 KG to buy it. I still own a 63 RHD UK bug and a US 63 Split bus.

So hopefully, this 'spoiled' split will be unspoiled at some point soon...

Matt

IMG_4750.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_4733.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_4710.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_4759.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_4734.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_4762.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
8 years ago
That's nice she is being put back to how it should be :thumbup:

Andy W
mmcnult1
8 years ago
That's the plan dude!!! As long as I can find parts which I'm finding difficult at the moment. People won't let go of parts even though they're going on the car!
I was hoping I could get it roadworthy to get it to Lavenham as is, (but raised up of course!). The plan is to get it all rolling and safe to use (MOT'd) as is whilst I collect the required correct parts for the correct restoration..

Regards,
Matt
Rattletrap
8 years ago
Glad that this car has been saved:beer:
Kids taxi
7 years ago
Andy W
FBi have 3 split bugs in stock , Although they are priced from 10K for a shitter to 19K for the top priced ones. According to reports the prices are quite firm, But the cars are seemingly overpriced with wrong parts an panels etc ESP the top price blue one . There are very nice early cars still out there ,But the nice ones will always be nice and therefore more expensive. But seeing as the prices for the parts an nice/rare bits are getting far more expensive , Id always buy the best I could afford with the most original parts/complete car even if it does want full restoration etc

KT
Im too Old for This
AW
  • AW
7 years ago
An interesting one on E bay at the moment.

AW
Kids taxi
7 years ago
Ive seen that, He's a Noturios car flipper , Tbh I personally don't think it's worth the money it's at Now , 12.5K . The paint is bad an although I have seen a poor video of it running and I use the word lightly driving ......

There Is better out there for not much money But it's getting expensive now to get a nice/original Pre 53 car
Im too Old for This