tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
I'd guess that 'miniaturised' car radios were pretty damned expensive back in the day and were uncommon? The reason I'm interested is that I want to know what a 'correct' [loud]speaker is for an oval.

In the form of an aftermarket product, I'd presume the speaker was a Heath Robinson affair chosen by the radio manufacturer and probably seldom fitted properly into the VW speaker location behind the dash. But what about factory-fitted radios... did they ever exist or were they fitted by the dealers? What [loud]speaker did they use? This is all leading to me asking... "what loudspeaker do I need for a '55"?

Anecdotally, is it just me that wants to call them loudspeakers as opposed to 'speakers'? Perhaps I'm just showing my age! :d

Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
All radios (pre-67) were dealer fitted. Blaupunkt was the OEM supplier of radios to VW in Europe. The radios themselves and the speakers all fitted properly and were European standardised sized items. the Oval era Blaupunkts had a very substantial bracket system that held it in place. They were very expensive options back in the day, especially if you opted for a Frankfurt model with FM. Drop me an email/PM and I'll email you a pic of an original Blaupunkt speaker.

1956 Frankfurt FM radio...
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
1954/55 Blaupunkt Frankfurt A453 (early model Frankfurt)...
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Many thanks Rich. You have mail!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Hi Rich ,

Do you know what year this radio is correct for !
It was in a 64 KGhia , the knobs are grey instead Ivory !
Maybe the radio is not even VW , but I think the knobs are correct for 64 !

Thanks,

Guido  IMG_5057.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_5060.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_5061.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Hi Rich ,

Do you know what year this radio is correct for !
It was in a 64 KGhia , the knobs are grey instead Ivory !
Maybe the radio is not even VW , but I think the knobs are correct for 64 !

Thanks,

Guido

Etzhold1 wrote:

Guido, that's a 1966-1968 model.

Regards,
Rich.
Etzhold1
15 years ago
6t6
7 years ago
Bit of an old post dragged up again but...
anyone able to shed any light on the required speaker or dimensions / specs of a modern equivalent that would fit behind the dash for an Oval? or better still anyone got any photos of an install and what's required?

Rich do you have any info / photos on the bracket system for a 54 blaupunkt radio that you mention above? or better still know of any for sale?

Thanks in advance

Tim