bigoval
  • bigoval
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
5 years ago
So I'm considering my options...

I am in the process of stripping my car - and while I'm there will give the 30hp engine a go-over.....

I'm considering my options for a "hot" motor.... something with a little more poke than the standard...

Do I take the plunge and buy the WW Okrasa kit?
What else is out there?

Anyone running one of the WW kits?
Or anything else for some more speed...

I'm open to fedback from experience and recomendations!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RichardinNZ
5 years ago
The WW kit may be the most cost-effective option for the top end. If you are splitting the engine there are other options for cranks and cams. With no WW kits available off the shelf where I am (New Zealand) I opted to modify the existing heads but was lucky to find some dual carb manifolds too. I've just made another post which links to YouTube movie of my car; driving impressions....
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
5 years ago
The WW kit is a pretty low quality thing, so don't just bolt it to your car and expect it to work properly. It's a kit of parts that will need work to sort out. Mine had leaky valves, a lack of surface for the top of the barrel to seat onto and the top of the inlet manifold was warped from welding so it leaked and needed filing flat.

Early 356 cranks can be made to fit. Mine is a useful 74mm, combined with repro iron 356 pre A barrels and pistons, gives around 1500ccs. You can also add Speedwell USA manifolds and twin choke carbs. Probably best not to go too mad with a stock crank though, as they're supposed to be the weak link in these motors.

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
bigoval
  • bigoval
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
5 years ago

Hmm....

So really then - split the motor... new crank... 010 dizzy? WW kit via Mr Okrasa in the USA so it's properly sorted?

I have also been considering the Riechert Tuning kit.....

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
5 years ago
I had the Riechert kit for a while. Not sure how much odds it made as my old motor was so worn out. Plus even a 10% power increase is only a couple of horsepower, so it's hard to judge.

Does Mr Okrasa work over the WW kit or just sell it on? There's not really any insurmountable problems with it, but it's a pity they didn't care enough to make it right, out of the box.

Is there a decent crank on offer for these motros?

UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
5 years ago

Does Mr Okrasa work over the WW kit or just sell it on? There's not really any insurmountable problems with it, but it's a pity they didn't care enough to make it right, out of the box.

Originally Posted by: JD 

I remember your problems with the WW kit James. I think yours was in an early batch and from later ones there didn't seem to be a repeat of your problem.

I started this feedback thread on The Samba as early issues needed to be aired: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506217 

Mr Okrasa does a carb re-bushing for the kit but I don't think he does anything else with them.

John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
5 years ago

Certainly seem to be few complaints on the thread. People doing real mileage too.

I finally got my motor back (for the second time), but it's stashed away for a bit until i decide to pull out the 1500 motor and swap it over. I need to find some better 36 Dellortos first as mine were kippered.

UserPostedImage