Doug Frye
2 years ago
When I bought my 1966 Model Beetle from the original owner 45 years ago, I knew it was different.

All the bumpers, handles and outside fittings were galvanized. The ignition switch said FHART instead of start. There was no fuel gauge, just a lever to kick....it goes on and on....32hp engine, etc...

The original owner told me that he was a student in Germany in the 60's and 70's and that he bought the car there and brought it over here by freighter.

I can't find any place here in the United States that sells galvanized fittings for a 66 beetle, or German labeled accessories so it might be a son-of-a-gun to restore.

Does anybody have any sources for parts for Bugs sold for the German Market. The car is in pretty good condition with almost no rust to the body pan.

Doug
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
2 years ago
No petrol gauge with the reserve lever normally indicates that its a 'standard' model, the base model with no frills or extras, but these normally have no trim at all, I've never heard of galvanised trim - any pics?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Doug Frye
2 years ago
Hi Rob. Will take some photos. Can you remove duplicate post that I just made. Can't seem to find out how. Thanks. Doug
pre67vw
2 years ago
I think these cars are known as the 'sparkafer', as far as I know the bumpers were just painted silver.

Here's another one:
https://www.classiccult.com/blog/vw-1200-a-standard-beetle-1965-1966-details.html 

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW