pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
3 years ago
A little update on the car...

IMG_7462[2].JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
brille52
3 years ago
I have seen some more photo : WoW ! You`re doing such an incredible great job - congrats ! She will became a real jewel and I can`t wait to see the cabrio driving down the road with the top down ! Best of luck and keep going !
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
3 years ago

I have seen some more photo : WoW ! You`re doing such an incredible great job - congrats ! She will became a real jewel and I can`t wait to see the cabrio driving down the road with the top down ! Best of luck and keep going !

Originally Posted by: brille52 

Good to see you back!

Thanks for the kind words. Still a long way to go, but it feels like progress. I hope you and the family are well!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
2 years ago
Any updates for the forum Rob?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
2 years ago

Any updates for the forum Rob?

Originally Posted by: Rich Oakley 

Well looking at that photo from a year ago, it doesn’t look like I’ve done a lot. But will post something soon.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
a year ago
Doing some research on the development of the Karmann Cabrio, I have found some letters that I had stored away when I was looking into Hebs - makes for some very interesting reading (to me anyway):

(translated)

Date: 25th June 1949

Convertible type 15 (Karmann)

The VA has so far received the following 2 test vehicles:

15-1      Delivery on 3/6/49 
                        Current milage 6,382 km

15-2      Delivery on 8/6/49 
                        Current milage 5,834 km

During the short testing period of only 3 weeks, approximately 32 causes for complaint were found. Some of these points are serious and concern the doors, back and folding top of the Karmann type. The floor and front reinforcements that both Karmann and Hebmüller required in accordance with our suggestions yielded relatively positive results in the comparatively short test run. This evaluation, however, is subject to the reservation that the test run distance is still relatively short.

Test runs of the Karmann type, insofar as it differs from the Hebmüller type, could only be started recently and yielded clearly negative results during the short testing period. This fact has forced me to decline responsibility for constructing and selling additional type 15 convertibles of the design that has been delivered up to now, until a sample vehicle in which these weaknesses have been sufficiently remedied can be tested to enable us to prove that customers can expect sufficient durability from this convertible body.

During a meeting with Dr. Feuereissen, Mr. Orlich and Mr. Schick, it was determined that under the present circumstances, selling the Karmann convertibles with the current defects in the door, back and folding top is out of the question.

We have decided on the following so as not to lose even more time:

1 - Test runs will go on for the two test vehicles 15-1 and 15-2 to continue testing the durability of the reinforced floor and front.

2- In addition to the 25 demonstration vehicles already ordered, Dr. Feuereissen will immediately order an additional type 15 sample vehicle. Karmann will give top priority to the production of this vehicle, which will already include the improvements required for the door construction, back and bow of the folding top in the series fabrication type. Test runs will begin as soon as the vehicle arrives, i.e. before the end of the month.
As with type 14, test runs will continue until the vehicle breaks apart, in order to ascertain the total service life.

3 - The VA will try to cover a test run distance of 5,000 to 10,000 km with this vehicle by mid-July. If the improvements presently required for Karmann prove to be sufficient, we will immediately OK production of the 25 demonstration vehicles. I expect these 25 vehicles to be available for the Sales Department by 1/8/49.

So in summary, two test cars had already been built, another test car was then required and then 25 demonstration cars were to be supplied to the Sales Department on the 1st Aug 1949.

From the details of my car including the small fuel tank and the lower rear body mount, it must have been an early July '49 body that was used. I think there's a strong case that it's one of the 25 demonstration cars. I have also found that all of the Karmann strengthening panels are handmade and not pressed - it would certainly be interesting to see the details of the museum car body number 107 (Chassis number Sept '49) to see if they were using pressed panels by then. 

A couple of detail photos - one of the rear firewall in the engine bay

IMG_6585.jpeg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

and the 2nd is the hole for the rear window winder which is clearly cut by hand (and quickly, this car needed to be done!)

IMG_4766.jpeg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

And could this possibly be the 25 cars being delivered? Absolutely no proof whatsoever, but there is a number in each window - the cars are quite early as there is no swivel mirror or crotch coolers. Plus it would probably have been a big occasion for Karmann, big enough to take a photo?

01_1163x654px_VW-Käfer-1100-Cabriolet-1951_Entladung_VW_Käfer-Cabrio-Entladen-der-.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
TRS63
a year ago
Now this is a great discovery and something making this car even more special !
thanks for sharing, I also love such history "Details".
Cheers from Stuttgart,
Antoine