yachtybugger
17 years ago
I've just picked up a May '56 vert pan and shell (well, whats left of a shell anyway.)!

The Chassis number and VIN plate match up which is great as the pan is rock solid OG. 😎

can someone tell me where the number that identifies it as a 151 or a 152 would be?

The number in the top left box on the VIN plate says VW 1/51. Would this be it?

The body serial number under the VIN plate begins 15-2****

Is this anything to do with the model or is that just a production number.

Both the pan and body are LHD and don't seemed to have been messed with in the steeering column/floorpan area and the VIN plate seems to be attached as from the factory with the correct rivets.

Any Help would be appreciated, especially a pointer to a site that deciphers the VIN plate markings.

Cheers
AndyQ

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
If the VIN starts with a 15, then its a Cabrio,(to the best of my knowledge). Whats it say on your yellow car?

I don't think the number stamped into the body signifies anything.

Show us some pics!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
heb623
17 years ago
Correct me if I am wrong but the chassisnr. of an old beetle cabrio had only a seven digit number combination!
From 1965 on with a nine digit number combination started with 15. ... ...!

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
2splits
17 years ago

I've just picked up a May '56 vert pan and shell (well, whats left of a shell anyway.)!

The Chassis number and VIN plate match up which is great as the pan is rock solid OG. 😎

can someone tell me where the number that identifies it as a 151 or a 152 would be?

Both the pan and body are LHD and don't seemed to have been messed with in the steeering column/floorpan area and the VIN plate seems to be attached as from the factory with the correct rivets.

Any Help would be appreciated, especially a pointer to a site that deciphers the VIN plate markings.

Cheers
AndyQ

"yachtybugger" wrote:

The box on the left hand side that says 1/51 means the car is a type 151 which is a LHD convertible beetle.

I believe the body number is just coincidence.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
heb623
17 years ago
:oops:
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
yachtybugger
17 years ago

Cheers
AndyQ

"2splits" wrote:

The box on the left hand side that says 1/51 means the car is a type 151 which is a LHD convertible beetle.

I believe the body number is just coincidence.

"yachtybugger" wrote:

Thanks 2 splits and everyone else who has replied :wink:

I thought that would be the case but just wanted to get a more experienced opinion :wink: Thanks.

Unfortunately I got a little bit of the info above wrong. The VIN model number is 'VW 1/15' and not 'VW 1/51'

Is this just the way VW denoted the model numbers or does it mean its something else?

Last question I promise :lol:

BTW, I applied for the birth certificate yesterday so hopefully this will show the body and chassis match up. At the moment, current thinking is the chassis is deffo a May '56 but the body number denotes it as an August '56 body. Hopefully this just means the chassis was lying around karmann for awhile waiting for a body but we'll see :wink:

Many Thanks
AndyQ
'64 ghia coupe
17 years ago
The body matching the pan worked out nice :wink:

Just that last pan to sell now 😃