SplitPersonality
17 years ago
Gents,
The attached picture is from a Pre-A Porsche. This type of "generic" VIN plate was used on several low volume German cars from the fifties - amongst them Rometsch and D&S also. I have also seen these "generic" plates on wrecked and rebuilt cars of the era. Does anybody reproduce these? Or....are they still available in Germany? Anybody know any source for Rometsch- and/or early Porsche owners in need?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
SplitPersonality
17 years ago
Interesting...

I have also seen the Rometsch-specific plate you are referring to on the Lawrence models - the 3x6 cm large one.

But - behind the spare tyre in the very front of the car, where it also sits on the Beetle - many Beeskows have this kind of plate. Does not your '54 have any such "proper" VIN plate at all? Any rivet holes left in the sheet metal behind the spare tyre?

BTW: What is your updated email Gilles?
SplitPersonality
17 years ago
Interesting.. I searched through my archieves and I do not have a good picture of the Porsche-type plate on a Beeskow, but I have seen it on a handful of cars. Maybe Eric, Christian, Lenny and/or others can post what is on their cars?

What I found is a very early version on a Split window Beeskow in cast aluminium. Still a "generic" one.

Then there is the one on the "Philadelphia-Rometsch", believed to be a 1957. Thsi is the standard VW one, and I doubt it was originally fitted from Rometsch with this...but I coudl be wrong.

Any comments?  9337.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
SplitPersonality
17 years ago
The Phily-style...  9338.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
overrestored
17 years ago
there are two different Rometsch vin plates. The first is larger... similar to in size to the regular vw plate. I will get a photo of this one later today.

the second version is a smaller type and I have not seen this style on an original car... only as a blank reproduction. It may be from a Lawrence model... but I don't know for certain. I don't think this style was ever on a Beeskow. I have included a photo of this one below... it is the third one down.

Please ignore the VOLKSWAGENWERK version below... it is NOT from a Rometsch.
 9345.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
protect me from what I want
overrestored
17 years ago
here is a bad shot of my id tag in the 56 Beeskow. It is indeed a blank ID tag with no Manufacturer info other than what you type in.

9350.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
overrestored
17 years ago
Yes... the incorrectly spelled "hallensee" badges are all that is around any more as far as I know.

overrestored
16 years ago
I have seen Hallensee and Halensee...this word is spelled both ways in many different places?

Can one of you old Berliners in Germany please clarify this spelling for us...

are there two ways to spell it?

Bjoern
16 years ago
The district of Berlin is called Halensee. In my opinium, the Hallensee-badge is a mistake by the printer. Both types are orgininal Rometsch - but in reason of the "L"-mistake, the Hallensee - types never were installed at the cars.
overrestored
16 years ago
thanks for that spelling verification...

Berlin Bleibt Doch

or "Berlin remains free"

isn't that what the Berliners used to say back when the wall was up?  14448.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
overrestored
16 years ago
ok...

another question.

My car had holes for coachbuilder badges on both sides when I bought it. Is this how they were delivered always... or were some just badged on the passenger side?
SplitPersonality
16 years ago

ok...

another question.

My car had holes for coachbuilder badges on both sides when I bought it. Is this how they were delivered always... or were some just badged on the passenger side?

"overrestored" wrote:

I Love the topic... my #225 had/has holes for this badge on both sides. All period pictures I have seen - there is always this badge, no matter what side the pic is from.