molurus
17 years ago
I'm new to the vw world of the beetle, previously having a golf many years ago.
But i have found a "1967" 1.2 6v on autotrader.co.uk and am going to look at this weekend. the seller say's they have done lot's of work to it over the last 2 years........ie
replaced heater channels and floor pan and all wing's and running board's,
full re-spray back to original lotus white colour,
69k gen miles,
original green log book,
clutch replaced 18 month's ago.
is there anything that i should be looking out for?????
He want's £3,100 for it.
V-Dub, new-be
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Welcome and Hi 😃

I know little about 67's but here are my views:

£3k seems about right for the low mileage and the fact its a RHD 67, I would be more than happy to pay that for it had it been original and unwelded with its original wings.

All that said I am a bit fussy! it still looks like a very nice car indeed so here are some of my 'look fors' :

a. Original interior in very good condition.

b. Wings replaced? Where were they bought from? good used or repro? (used originals is best) I would'nt personally want repro wings on a car, or heater channels replaced, but when buying a uk car I think its often some of those unfortunate things that come hand in hand with it.
Heater channels bought from? There are 2 types of repro channels, cheap and expensive! I wouldnt touch the cheap black ones ie. from gsf, but the genuine grey repro channels from Heritage are exceptionally good and I would be happy with those.

c.What is the quality of the welding (heater channels) and paint like overall? Is there any paint on window rubbers etc to show bad masking and lack of care in prep?

d. You need to have a very close look inside all the inner wheel arches and rear corners ( just in front of the rear wheels especially) If the channels have needed replacing then odds are there will be either patches or rot here (because its a Brit! Yay!)
This means pulling up the rear seat to look inside the corners behind the battery trays and just above just under the rear arch carpet too!

e. Engine original to the car and good? Should be but always worth checking the numbers.

f. How many owners had it had on the docs?

g. Probably not applicable but check all over for signs there was any rot in the gutters ( hard to see through new paint unfortunately and anyway given the low miles I would be surprised to find any)

But all that said, it still looks super! Good luck looking
😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Jules
17 years ago
That looks like a '68 to me, I would check the third digit of the chassis number and if it's an '8', shes a '68!

Probably a '68 model built in the later part of '67, the 'F' plate would indicate that too!

Quite a difference in value between a '67 and a '68
48REME
16 years ago
Yes, I agree with Jules. There is bound to be a difference in price between 67 and 68 and I think 3K is quite a bit for an upright-lights beetle.
Jules
16 years ago
Interesting that it's described as 6 volt, and that it has painted indicator tops! I wonder if it has a fuel guage!
SixtyFive
16 years ago
that is a 68 sparkafer 1200, very rare base model beetle.
Jules
16 years ago

that is a 68 sparkafer 1200, very rare base model beetle.

"SixtyFive" wrote:

Thats what I was getting at, but, I didn't know if they were available in RHD. No chrome in the window rubbers, no bonnet moulding, but it does have side moudings, one horn grill? or two?
SixtyFive
16 years ago
should only have one horn grill.

48REME
16 years ago
Like this 1966, isn't it?  9418.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
SixtyFive
16 years ago
looks similar-ish.
a guy on restowagen had a chinchilla grey 68 sparkafer...
48REME
16 years ago
Ah yes, but I was comparing this 66 to the 67 for sale on the Samba...
The 68s are already quite different... 🙂
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
The car at the top of the thread is just a regular 1200 Beetle isn't it? Base model export car. Never sold in the US though. AFAIK they only got the top of the line cars - for example only 1303s.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
16 years ago

Probably a '68 model built in the later part of '67, the 'F' plate would indicate that too!

Quite a difference in value between a '67 and a '68

"Jules" wrote:

I didnt even notice the F plate and my Bay was F too :oops:

I guess it will all be about the car's condition then. But I think I would personally want 100% originality for £3k on a 68 though.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann