jonathan.28
16 years ago
Hi

I have recently become the owner of a 1966 1300 Beetle. This is my third beetle, so although I am not exactly a newcomer I am certainly no expert!
The car to me seems pretty good for its age, but it hasn't been touched for several years and decay has set in. Also there has been some historical patching to the heater channels that doesn't look too good.
My big question is, at this stage, can anyone recommend someone to weld the car for me?
I know a welder who worked on both my previous cars, and although he's a great welder, he's not a beetle expert, and I really want someone who knows what can be saved and repaired etc, rather replacing, as last time it got a little out of hand!

Many thanks
Jonathan
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
This guy is really good. Alex, in Bournemouth. I forget what his firm is called, but here is his mobile number...

And we want to see pictures!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
16 years ago
I have a good guy who lives in Chichester who is mobile and comes to me in Fareham ( has welded both our splitbeetles) but you need to be able to work(make noise) on your drive/in your garage!!
Or Alex is certainly top notch work as suggested above 😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
16 years ago

This guy is really good. Alex, in Bournemouth. I forget what his firm is called, but here is his mobile number...

And we want to see pictures!

"JD" wrote:

Defcon3 I think.
jonathan.28
16 years ago
Thanks very much for these names.
I've started stripping the car and so far I'm too alarmed by anything I've found. As I say, the heater channels are in a bad way as are the bottoms of both door posts. Also the doors have seen better days.
I actually have a couple of doors that are very solid but I took them off a 68 so am not sure if I can use them.
Can anyone tell me what shade of blue this is?
Cheers  9665.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Andy Sparks
16 years ago
You will not be able to use 68 doors, sorry. unfortunatly your doors are fairly rare, and maybe better to fix.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
mrsherbie
16 years ago
Sea blue. We have a beetle for sale the same colour which is in the original paint, see in the 'classifieds' :D

I will look for some 66 doors in original paint sea blue we might have some. But if yours are not too bad, I would personally get someone to repair them well rather than replace them, its always the preferable option to keep your bug intact as possible 😃
jonathan.28
16 years ago
Well, it's not good news for this project. Alex was good enough to come and have a look and the welding required is little beyond my budget sadly. So now I have begun searching for another car, preferably something unwelded and solid. It seems more sensible to use the budget on a car that doesn't need loads of welding. So if anyone knows anything like this going?
And of course I also have to find a new home for the 1966 or perhaps break the car.
Anyway, thanks for the help.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Shame. Can't you just lash the thing together until you can afford to do it right?

What is your budget? I may come across something over here. Bothered by LHD?
UserPostedImage
jonathan.28
16 years ago
It is a shame.
The budget is £3000 and I'm not bothered by LHD. In fact I think I would quite like it.
Thanks
jonathan.28
16 years ago
Well, this discussion is at an end I guess. The 66 is sold and on Saturday I am collecting a very nice ruby red 63, previously listed on this forum. Many thanks for all the help.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Alls well that ends well then. Glad you found a good car.

Pictures!!!! 😃
UserPostedImage