oldbug.com
16 years ago
I am very curious to find out people's estimates on how many Lawrence body Rometsch cars were built and how many survive today.

To get specific I would love to know production numbers of the 58-59 Cabrio vs how many are known to be out there. I have had this question posed to me many times and would like to know so I know what to say.

Please help if you can...
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Surely the best man to answer those questions would be Christian.
He must have as good an idea as any one in the world.
SplitPersonality
16 years ago
Since we now count close to 30 in the Beeskow Registry....my best guess is that the survival is about the same for the Lawrences as well. Approx 30 counting Coupes and Convertibles.

Production of: Beeskow: 1951 - 06 1957. Lawrence: 07 1957 - 1959. So fewer years of production, but more "mass production" based on learning of making and marketing. So my guess is that the production numbers were similar for the two generations - and survival rate/percentage I would estimate is the same. They were all "wonderful aluminium bodied VW-based "non-sportscar""-type cars.

As for the Beeskows we will probably never know the exact production figures from Berlin - records are lost and the few surviving papers are not exact enough.
Bjoern
16 years ago
The following Rometsches I know existing in Europe - but I know, that I forgot a few:

Red split window banana: Miesbach - Germany
Silver split window banana: Lugano - Switzerland
Split window banana: Bozen - Italy
Blue Split window banana: Hessisch Oldendorf - Germany
Red banana: Hessisch Oldendorf
blue banana: Düsseldorf - Gemany
silver banana Coupe - Hessisch Oldendorf
black banana: Barceloa - Spain
red banana: Great Britain

Laverence models in Europe:

Black coupe: Bielefeld - Germany
red - white coupe: Wolfsburg - Germany
red coupe: Hessisch Oldendorf - Germany
blue/blue convert.: Hessisch Oldendorf - Germany
silver coupe: Düsseldorf - Germany (for sale)
black convert.: Düsseldorf - Germany
convert.: Heidelberg - Germany
coupe : Bozen - Italy
coupe : Great Britain
convert: Netherlands
brille52
16 years ago
...and a Beeskow in Norway, under restoration :!: # 225 !!

andreas 😎
Bjoern
16 years ago
...and the white Banana of Offenburg - Germany.
Andy Sparks
16 years ago
Flat4 have BBTs old green car.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
oldbug.com
16 years ago
Do you think it would be safe to assume that there are less than 50 Lawrence body Rometsch cars in existance today?

Perhaps 30 Cabrios and 20 Coupes?

Anyone think Im way off here?
pre67vw
16 years ago

One of the VW Magazines is doing a feature on my Lawrence car and is asking for production history numbers etc...and it is all such a mystery. I dont want to continue to feed rumours in yet another magazine...

Is Eric's theory correct?

Are there any Lawrence cars with numbers under 500?

How about over 600?

Do you think that perhaps my 59 model number 566 is the 66th Lawrence car? The black coupe that Mr Komori owns is supposedly #559...yet it has smooth sides which is a 1960 model attribute... :shock:

HEELLLLPP!

"oldbug.com" wrote:

Do you think it would be safe to assume that there are less than 50 Lawrence body Rometsch cars in existance today?

Perhaps 30 Cabrios and 20 Coupes?

Anyone think Im way off here?

"oldbug.com" wrote:

As long as you're not presenting it as 'fact' then I'd think you're safe. For example "it is estimated that there are less than..."

If anyone comes forward with a list to prove you wrong, that would be very interesting to see!!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
SplitPersonality
16 years ago
As stated before, in our Beeskow Registry we have 32 survivors acconted for. Without having "prospected" on Lawrences, my gut feeling is that the amount of survivors is about the same. I think 50 is too high, so I guess "less than 50" would be correct in any case. My guess is 30.