mrsherbie
16 years ago

On the subject of modified cars at Hessisch, can you remember who won best type 2 last time?

"Scotty" wrote:

Yes of course, Jules, and he was the first to be shocked and even quite embarassed to collect the award :shock: as his bus is lowered ( even though it is also beautiful!) But as we know the 'judging' was not done in the conventional sense there. Some guests were invited to pick their favorites I believe?
Judging is a horrid burden. Who really wants to do it at such a high profile show as H.O.
I always think its better to have no judging and no prizes. (But then I dont own a shiny car so maybe I dont know anyway)
People just end up getting put out. For example the Restowagen guys talking about the judging at the Bug In right now. Can of worms.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
lou cypher
16 years ago

On the subject of modified cars at Hessisch, can you remember who won best type 2 last time?

"Scotty" wrote:

You're not suggesting that HO is subjective, are you? :evil:
Scotty
16 years ago
No, just merely pointing out that a modified bus won best type 2.

I'm just a little bemused by some of the comments about 'vintage' cars on here. Sure the term vintage refers to the age of the vehicle not how high it is or what the paint finish is? Should I not bother taking my bus to any vintage shows because I've lowered it and not re-painted it?

UserPostedImage
lou cypher
16 years ago

I'm just a little bemused by some of the comments about 'vintage' cars on here. Sure the term vintage refers to the age of the vehicle not how high it is or what the paint finish is? Should I not bother taking my bus to any vintage shows because I've lowered it and not re-painted it?

"Scotty" wrote:

"Vintage" and "Stock" shows are two different things :wink:

HO is a stock show, maybe they had a dispensation due to the fact that they were heading a convoy to Wolfsberg after the show :?

Over to you Mr Sherbie :wink:
pre67vw
16 years ago

I'm just a little bemused by some of the comments about 'vintage' cars on here. Sure the term vintage refers to the age of the vehicle not how high it is or what the paint finish is?

"Scotty" wrote:

'Vintage' in the VW context is not just about age, its a section of the hobby just like cal-look, resto-cal etc. it refers to original or stock looking cars - the older the better. Its like turning up with a bone stock car and not understanding why you can't get in the line up of cal-look cars. Or parking in the line up regardless because your car is the same age.

Should I not bother taking my bus to any vintage shows because I've lowered it and not re-painted it?

"Scotty" wrote:

How you get to a vintage show is up to you :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
16 years ago

"Vintage" and "Stock" shows are two different things :wink:

"lou cypher" wrote:

I disagree here. The true definition of 'Vintage' is as a car built between the start of 1919 and the end of 1930, so officially there is no such thing as a vintage Volkswagen. The term was I think promoted in the US by the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America (https://www.vvwca.com/ ) which originally concentrated on split window bugs. The term Vintage has become synonymous with stock, for example the annual 'Vintage' issue of HotVW's magazine was crammed full of stock cars, if vintage was purely the age of the car then every issue would be a vintage issue 😃
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Scotty
16 years ago
Last time at HO modified stuff and stock stuff was parked next to each other and I never heard any complaints, it seemed not to matter as long as the vehicle was old enough. I can understand if that changes so that the stock stuff and the modified stuff is separated, that's up to the organisers.
lou cypher
16 years ago
Now were cooking :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
pre67vw
16 years ago

Last time at HO modified stuff and stock stuff was parked next to each other and I never heard any complaints, it seemed not to matter as long as the vehicle was old enough. I can understand if that changes so that the stock stuff and the modified stuff is separated, that's up to the organisers.

"Scotty" wrote:

The percentage of modified was very low, because the focus of the show was stock (as in vintage).

As JD has raised before - what is modified? Okrasa motors, Judson superchargers are far from stock - but they're still vintage.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Every show nowadays, be it classic/vintage/stock or not, seems swamped with these lowered, loud, ratty buses and beetles. They want to be different from the norm but unfortunately they all end up looking the same. And that rusty unfinished look for me is just an excuse for cheap restoration. I believe it's a fashion of the moment which simply has no place in historic displays of unmodified vehicles. There are enough venues for that sort of cars. Sorry to offend but tough!
356boy
16 years ago

I disagree here. The true definition of 'Vintage' is as a car built between the start of 1919 and the end of 1930, so officially there is no such thing as a vintage Volkswagen. The term was I think promoted in the US by the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America (https://www.vvwca.com/) which originally concentrated on split window bugs. The term Vintage has become synonymous with stock, for example the annual 'Vintage' issue of HotVW's magazine was crammed full of stock cars, if vintage was purely the age of the car then every issue would be a vintage issue

well i agree with the captain :lol: :wink:

but at HO there is obviously going to be alot of modified vw's, so why not put rat look in one street, resto in another, stock in another and so on, if theres signs showing where each catigory should be can there be a problem. then you dont have to look at the othe styles. over a full weekend i think its good to look around all types, at the end of the day we all enjoy the classic volkswagen, aaaaahhhhh. :roll: :lol:

over to to you eeeeerrrrrmmmmm lou i suppose 🙂
lou cypher
16 years ago

but at HO there is obviously going to be alot of modified vw's, so why not put rat look in one street, resto in another, stock in another and so on, if theres signs showing where each catigory should be can there be a problem. then you dont have to look at the othe styles. over a full weekend i think its good to look around all types, at the end of the day we all enjoy the classic volkswagen, aaaaarrrrr. :roll: :lol:

over to to you eeeeerrrrrmmmmm lou i suppose 🙂

"356boy" wrote:

I don't think that there are enough streets to do this. Maybe we are forgetting what HO stands for :wink: :wink:

This used to be Hardcore Vintage/stock lets hope it doesn't go the way of BC! :evil:

This thread could go on forever, it a hornets nest :twisted: :twisted:

lou cypher
16 years ago

Every show nowadays, be it classic/vintage/stock or not, seems swamped with these lowered, loud, ratty buses and beetles. They want to be different from the norm but unfortunately they all end up looking the same. And that rusty unfinished look for me is just an excuse for cheap restoration. I believe it's a fashion of the moment which simply has no place in historic displays of unmodified vehicles. There are enough venues for that sort of cars. Sorry to offend but tough!

"48REME" wrote:

Well said, AMEN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

356boy
16 years ago
so where does everyone park and where would i park :cry:

what you done to the screen lou:roll:
lou cypher
16 years ago

so where does everyone park and where would i park :cry:

what you done to the screen lou:roll:

"356boy" wrote:

When you register in Ho you are issued with a sticker with a number,(for your windscreen,as BC) the stickers are different colours to correspond to which street (group) you are parked with.

that's how it has been in the past :wink:

Don't worry if your comin in the 55O you can park anywhere, I guess :wink:

356boy
16 years ago
but i cant register if i'm coming in the ragtop as its somewhat altered. where do all the other vw's who cant register park :roll: or do i register as a 57 and just turn up :twisted: which isnt quite fair. 😞 is it :twisted:
lou cypher
16 years ago

but i cant register if i'm coming in the ragtop as its somewhat altered. where do all the other vw's who cant register park :roll: or do i register as a 57 and just turn up :twisted: which isnt quite fair. 😞 is it :twisted:

"356boy" wrote:

Don't worry it's still a couple of years away :wink:

You'll probably have a new toy by then, that can attend :wink:
356boy
16 years ago
no more cars for me :roll: if you have to register soon how do i know what i'll have then :roll:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Whats the cut off date anyway? `57 I suppose. Damn it.

(Disgruntled owner of a `58 with small oval back window.)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
356boy
16 years ago
that qualifies :lol: