mrsherbie
16 years ago
Rob,

Locked??!! Are you joking?! It is pics of proper vintage vw's, in fact they dont get any more proper, stock or vintage vw than this!!

We had the same discussion last year after the show and some of the photos were removed by request of some of our foreign friends. Understandably, some are sensitive to seeing the Nazi flag.

So, I'm sorry to stomp my own jack boots over this thread, but I've removed the photos showing a swastika.

"pre67vw" wrote:

Excuse the term, but SOD our 'sensitive friends'! None of the readers on this forum were in WWII! Whilst my Grandad survived but lost most of his school friends in the DDay landings and it still bought a tear to his eye til the day he died at 90.
Its only ever US. people who really moan anyway, and thats almost funny coming from a country who's government is always pushing everyone else for a fight, to this very day!
(I really wish I had taken pics of the Vietnam re-enactment scene now to post on the samba!)

The reason that this is the WORLDS BIGGEST MILITARY SHOW, is that everything is able to be open here. Some German collector guys I know come over for the show every year and wear genuine German uniforms, because they can openly celebrate their heritage here, which they cant do in Germany! Imagine if the UK veterans were not allowed to display their medals on Remembrance Sunday! There would be an outcry! We are bloody lucky to live in GB and be able to see EVERYTHING to do with military vehicles, good as well as bad. OPEN MINDED.
Its actual history! love it or hate it, but dont deny it!
The German vehicles are the finest, and demand 10times+ higher sums than most of the British stuff! We all know this is true.
Why else would a guy have gone to the vast expense of buying a (cheap!) Russian tank and then making a replica Tiger out of it! :shock:

Second battle group and others shown here, were involved as extras and vehicles for 'Saving private Ryan'
Was that movie bad then? Yes, horrific! but undeniably still a fine lesson in history!

Indigo has watched the battle re-enactments, asked many questions and learnt a lot, we have explained that in real war, the people dont get up off the ground afterwards. They are dead or have limbs blown off. She will not learn about the deadly seriousness of war better anywhere else!! Certainly not from books , doing school projects or dressing up as evacuee's!
But I suppose other peoples kids might learn a lot playing Nintendo at home instead...

I also think it is a terrible shame that German ex-servicemen were never allowed to be proud that they fought, as British ex-servicemen have always been.

I strongly disagree with removing pictures! this is not ebayUSA or the samba, its good ole blighty. We love our German friends and should respect their history as we do our own.

What 50 Karmann says is 100% correct. The swastika is a symbolic reminder that now represents the terrible acts of a few bad people during a period in time that should never be forgotten.

So, back to the vw's then....
Left on the thread we now have a 'selection' of German military vehicles which are the same as the ones removed, still built under Hitlers orders, but only those which dont have correct markings or flags shown in the photo's :roll:

This site is for early beetles and vw's, and these are just those same vehicles! And some of the most correct and early were at War & Peace. So are we now going to pretend that the British 'invented' the bug in '45 instead?
I know, let's re-write history! And cut out all bits we dont like!

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
356boy
16 years ago
mmmm! take a deep breath.........and breath out slowly, there, better :lol:

can i also add that the germans had some (if not most) of the very best soldiers, not all were murderers, they also lost many good men and we should remember those aswell.
356boy
16 years ago
lou!

LOU!

:roll:
lou cypher
16 years ago

mmmm! take a deep breath.........and breath out slowly, there, better :lol:

can i also add that the germans had some (if not most) of the very best soldiers, not all were murderers, they also lost many good men and we should remember those aswell.

"356boy" wrote:

:lol:

you want to see the best :shock:

Fallschirmjäger 

Most of this is taken from Dutch TV

lou cypher
16 years ago
Maybe some should read the book 'The Devils Guard' :shock:

then maybe realise that they were all human beings and only following orders.
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Please,let's not take this too far.
Opinions have been expressed,giving both sides,if only by actions,instead of words.
It is a long way from historic military VW's displaying authentic WW2 markings(Swastikas) to films of invading German paratroopers.
We all know the relative history.People react in different ways, what doesn't offend some will easily offend others.
So while some(includind myself)are OK with all this,STOP and think on for the others who are not.
Rob has chosen to delete the photographs because last year he received complaints,don't paint him black,you will never please every-one moderating a website.
Above all lets remain friendly.OH! and KEEP the vintage VW FAITH(as my Belgian friend Bob says) 😎
356boy
16 years ago
i dont really know where to list this :roll:
this must be the rare brezelwagen :roll: 😃

geees, i feel faint :?
 11417.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

i dont really know where to list this :roll:

"356boy" wrote:

I like,got room in my garage if you know where it is 8)
God! I'm turning into Bob Shaill.
pre67vw
16 years ago

Excuse the term, but SOD our 'sensitive friends'! None of the readers on this forum were in WWII! Whilst my Grandad survived but lost most of his school friends in the DDay landings and it still bought a tear to his eye til the day he died at 90.
Its only ever US. people who really moan anyway, and thats almost funny coming from a country who's government is always pushing everyone else for a fight, to this very day!

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Nobody from the US complained.

I also think it is a terrible shame that German ex-servicemen were never allowed to be proud that they fought, as British ex-servicemen have always been.

"mrsherbie" wrote:

There is no reason to be proud that you were part of the machine that killed more than 6 million innocent Jews including kids, disabled and elderly, along with millions of other civilians who were considered 'disposable'. There is very much a reason to be proud that you fought against it.

So are we now going to pretend that the British 'invented' the bug in '45 instead?
I know, let's re-write history! And cut out all bits we dont like!

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Not at all. Volkswagen has a very dark history. It's estimated that nearly 400 children died while in the VW Kinderheim, they were taken usually as newborn babies from the forced labourers and kept in squalid conditions until they died. The forced labourers then had to pay the burial charges, which was usually when they got to hear about the death.

"The children cried all night while the insects crawled over them and bit them. Numerous visitors and staff reported that the infestation was so severe that the walls, floors and beds were alive with insects. One nurse observed that when you would enter the nursery at night "you would think there was an ant mound present.<(23)" Sworn Statement of Hilda Lammer, 6/9/45, from the War Crimes Report. "

This is the sort of terrible act that the Nazi flag has come to represent, these things and countless others were done not by accident - but very much on purpose as part of the Nazi 'ideal'.

I don't want to have to edit anyone's posts, but please bare in mind that your post will be read by people outside of the UK - and I'm the one who gets the complaints.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lou cypher
16 years ago
Rob I understand that you are the one getting all the flak and have to clean up the threads that offend some people. Being the judge & jury is never easy, but you do what you have to, to keep the site running and we respect that :wink:

How many innocent Belgians did Joachim Peiper slaughter in the 'Battle of the Bulge' and the flip side to that is, how many did the allies kill when they carpet bombed a suburb of Bruges.
The point is, there is always two sides to a story. We all have our own opinions, that's what makes us unique.
Please note I am not a Nazi or condone what happened in the Death Camps.
Here is some 'food for thought' you can make up your own minds, as I have had enough of this now!

Not all Germans had the same beliefs as the 'Schutztaffel SS'

Yes there were bad cookies like 'Joachim Peiper'

But there were also good ones like 'Claus Von Stauffenberg'

Most average soldier fights for his comrades and unit.

How many did the Red Army slaughter?

And the British Empire?

'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Let's change the subject.  11433.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago
this is more like it :wink:
 11436.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago
:lol:  11437.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago
:lol:  11438.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago
:lol:  11439.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago
:shock:  11440.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago
😎  11441.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago
:lol:  11442.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Chris
16 years ago
That's more like it... 😃

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
356boy
16 years ago
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎