Ron Perkins
16 years ago
Hi, all. I stumbled onto this site and thought it would be a good place to start. I've been into VW performance for a long time (30+ years...since I was 9) but for the first time, have acquired some old rare stuff. Here's my story from last week.

My dad calls me the other day, says he's at a garage sale and
there's what looks like a VW motor for sale, they say it's a porsche
motor. I asked a few questions..hmmm, three bolt dual port head and
the generator stand is part of the case...early pre A porsche or
maybe it's a 2 ltr T-4. He buys it and brings it over....wowser, I pull the vintage looking finned aluminum valve covers off...Okrasa, with
either an early Porsche crank or Okrasa (small 8 doweled) it has the
chrome single barrel intakes no carbs, a strange old hipo oil pump "Phobos" and....aluminum finned cylinders, either Byral or nickelsel. THe case number is 1-0494654, that would make it a fairly
early '52, I think. Yowser, I'm going to track down the people to
see if the carbs/linkage are available. I was totally freaked out when i pulled the valve cover off and saw Okrasa. I only see these in mags and at shows.....a garage sale...amazing. Wonder where it came
from...Rometsch, Dannenhauer....anyway, I'll probably ebay it as having something that valuable around freaks me out. Is there a way to tell if the crank is an Okrasa vs. porsche without pulling it apart...check stroke via spark plug hole? and...is this indeed the year case I suspect it to be? There aren't many engine number listings out there that go back that far. Thanks, and any ideas where to sell this the best would be much appreciated. Ron, Michigan - USA
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
2splits
16 years ago

Hi, all. I stumbled onto this site and thought it would be a good place to start. I've been into VW performance for a long time (30+ years...since I was 9) but for the first time, have acquired some old rare stuff. Here's my story from last week.

My dad calls me the other day, says he's at a garage sale and
there's what looks like a VW motor for sale, they say it's a porsche
motor. I asked a few questions..hmmm, three bolt dual port head and
the generator stand is part of the case...early pre A porsche or
maybe it's a 2 ltr T-4. He buys it and brings it over....wowser, I pull the vintage looking finned aluminum valve covers off...Okrasa, with
either an early Porsche crank or Okrasa (small 8 doweled) it has the
chrome single barrel intakes no carbs, a strange old hipo oil pump "Phobos" and....aluminum finned cylinders, either Byral or nickelsel. THe case number is 1-0494654, that would make it a fairly
early '52, I think. Yowser, I'm going to track down the people to
see if the carbs/linkage are available. I was totally freaked out when i pulled the valve cover off and saw Okrasa. I only see these in mags and at shows.....a garage sale...amazing. Wonder where it came
from...Rometsch, Dannenhauer....anyway, I'll probably ebay it as having something that valuable around freaks me out. Is there a way to tell if the crank is an Okrasa vs. porsche without pulling it apart...check stroke via spark plug hole? and...is this indeed the year case I suspect it to be? There aren't many engine number listings out there that go back that far. Thanks, and any ideas where to sell this the best would be much appreciated. Ron, Michigan - USA

"Ron Perkins" wrote:

Cool find. Post a picture! The case number is late 52.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
Ron Perkins
16 years ago
I'll post pics as soon as I take them. Thanks for the engine ID. Someone told me that the early okrasa heads were the only ones with the 3 bolt intake pattern...is that correct? I thought they all had that.
Andy Sparks
16 years ago
No mate i have 3 bolts on my 40hp one
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
Ron Perkins
16 years ago

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

just as I suspected, thanks. So is a head junk if it's cracked..pretty significantly I might add. I havent taken it off and it doesn appear to leak compression through it. I'm sure, because of the rarity that welding would be and could be done to save it.
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

40hp

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

Oh!My
That's dangerous,tooooo many horses.
Andy Sparks
16 years ago

40hp

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

Oh!My
That's dangerous,tooooo many horses.

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

Nah mate, it's Crazy Horses, Waaa Waaa.
Andy Sparks
16 years ago

"Ron Perkins" wrote:

just as I suspected, thanks. So is a head junk if it's cracked..pretty significantly I might add. I havent taken it off and it doesn appear to leak compression through it. I'm sure, because of the rarity that welding would be and could be done to save it.

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

Mate anything can be repaired but if cracked i would aim in towards the bin.
Ron Perkins
16 years ago
Gee Andy, thanks for popping my bubble. IMO, and of course I'm not any expert like you guys, but just like many old vehicles...restore, don't junk. I'm sure there's someone who would want to save this motor. Here's some pics.  12243.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
louis
16 years ago
very nice... wanna sell?
the love of my life:
1954 oval 3 fold
okrasa tsv 1300
83mm p/c
69.5mm crank
isky cam
Peter_Plade
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

Mate anything can be repaired but if cracked i would aim in towards the bin.

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

Are you nuts?!

Aim it towards my damn bin if you want!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Ron Perkins
16 years ago
Yes, I do want to sell. make me an offer. I will probably ebay it but if I get a decent offer, and could avoid the ebay hassle..cool. offers would be plus shipping of course.