54DoubleDoor
16 years ago
Hey there.

Just had our Oval restored and its all raedy to be fitted back up..

So bear with me, there may be a few questions along the way... just finished my 100% Stock Barndoor panel van back in June.. this is our next one.

We have had it painted in L313 Reed Green... i've been told over on thesamba.com that the wing beading used to be generally body coloured?..

So what do you guys use these days and wheres the best place for it..

Also, what colour would you say would go best, as a match, to the Reed Green.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dean
54 UK Doubledoor Panel Van
56 UK Deluxe Oval
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
djkeev
16 years ago
Good Morning !

Just want to say that you should go back to Samba and read the posts after mine. I was mistaken and colored beading did not come until 1961, Previous to that They were all black. I've asked for documentation on that but haven't heard anything. I did however open a LOT of photos of Ovals and they all have black beading on them.

So sorry to steer you wrong, it was an honest mistake but the value of these forums is that we can all learn,

I've actually written this in my many VW books, none of them address the fender beading issue. I'll continue to check it out looking for official verification but am pretty convinced that they are right.

Good luck and once again, so sorry to mislead.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"