jonathan.28
16 years ago
I know this isn't pre 67, but can anyone give me any information on this engine? It was in my car but I have found a replacement. Therefore I want to sell this one, but I don't know how to describe it. It is a twin port. There is no engine number at the base of the generator stand, and I can't find one anywhere else.
Can anyone help? Cheers
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
djkeev
16 years ago
Hi

Tell us more.....

What voltage is the generator?

What numbers are on the Distributor ?

What numbers are on the carb, it would something like.. 28 Pict or 30 PIC / or some other series of numbers and letters It is cast onto the fuel body.

It has dual intake ports so it is a 1600 series

It has only a single carb so most likely a bug.

At some point the case was replaced, they didn't come stamped with numbers but often they had a VW insigna with what appear to be arrows around it. This may have only been for VW rebuilt engines and the replacement over the counter cases were just blank.

Most likely an early 70's bug engine. Best guess at this point.... 71 - 72

Not at all a "rare" engine but looks to be in good shape!

Good Luck

Dave

"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
jonathan.28
16 years ago
Thanks Dave.
The generator is 6 V but I guess it's not original to this engine.
On the carb it say 34 PICT 3. I forgot to look at the distributor :oops:
Etzhold1
16 years ago
34 pict3 is for a 1500 and 1600 cc engine !
Take your covers off from the cyl heads , and check the part number from the heads, only then are you 100% sure !
Regards,

Guido
1958 Harry
16 years ago
I thought VW Recon's had an engine number stamped into them ending in an X? My 1200 has the VW arrows thingy wth a D engine code ending in an X - from what I understood (I might be wrong) this means it was a VW factory recon?
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj
djkeev
16 years ago

I thought VW Recon's had an engine number stamped into them ending in an X? My 1200 has the VW arrows thingy wth a D engine code ending in an X - from what I understood (I might be wrong) this means it was a VW factory recon?

"1958 Harry" wrote:

Yes, you have a VW reconditioned engine.

The VW in the arrows indicates this and the X indicates the motor was exchanged after October 1968, prior to this date the X was not stamped on the case.

Once they started double boring the oil relief passages in the newer engines, no matter the displacement, they all got the 10mm dual oil relief bores in them. So there are 1200's running around with superior oil relief systems!

The earlier exchange cases had a sequential number after the re-manufactured symbol.

VW replacement cases, from April of 72, had the VW arrow circle and a prefix letter.

Once they started the letters, they stopped stamping numbers. They used just letters and you put in your old engine number (or at least you should have done so).

They generally used letters never used in new engine coding sequences. Below are listed many of them.

F1 1300/1600
F2 1300/1600
DO 40-hp part if last digit is "X"
D1 Sometimes a 40-hp part
AB 1966-1979 1600
AD 1600
AK 1967-1974 1500/1600
AM 1600
AS Sometimes listed as Super Beetle orig. case
for '73-on.

If your engine has the number area ground out (routed to remove the numbers so that area is recessed), this indicates that the engine was factory rebuilt using an original re-manufactured case (not a new case). The re-man symbol and number or letters were stamped into the recessed routed out area.

If there is a "P" towards the case seam above the crank pulley, the case mating surface was machined and then re-bored to standard bores.

Sometimes, just for fun?? the mechanic stamped his initials somewhere around the number area. Others have found dates and other weird numbers whose meaning escapes us today.

There are also industrial engines and aircraft engines which don't follow any auto numbering sequence but do bolt up to a car. Apparently they occasionally show up in an old VW. (never saw one, just read about them)

Hope this helps !

Dave

"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
1958 Harry
16 years ago
Wow thats really interesting stuff! I think mine is a D1 prefix recon. Even though the cars a '58 it originally had a VW replacement '64 engine in it, but this was nackered so I bought another engine which is this one - so far its been a really good leak free engine - and based on the emissions the engine is in A1 condition - has no end float either. I was told it had done a genuine 28000 miles - this appears true from its condition.

Looking at Engine no's on the Sambe (ignoring the 😵 it looks like a 1974 1200 engine.
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj