Ninamashr
16 years ago
Here's a mock up of my tri-power intake right before I rebuild my engine. I'm not finished yet with the linkage but I need to get everything, linkage, fuel lines, etc;, working right before beadblasting the tin. Just thought you guys would like to see something a little bit different from across the pond. 🙂

1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Ninamashr
16 years ago

Here's a mock up of my tri-power intake right before I rebuild my engine. I'm not finished yet with the linkage but I need to get everything, linkage, fuel lines, etc;, working right before beadblasting the tin. Just thought you guys would like to see something a little bit different from across the pond. 🙂

"Ninamashr" wrote:

1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
:shock: :shock:

Has this been tried before? I mean, is the centre carb actually going to do anything except look pretty? Wish you luck with it. 🙂
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Ninamashr
16 years ago

:shock: :shock:

Has this been tried before? I mean, is the centre carb actually going to do anything except look pretty? Wish you luck with it. 🙂

"JD" wrote:

It has been tried and there were manifolds also sold for the 40 hp. On this setup the center carb works only for start up, idleing, normal driving. The side carbs (tillotsons) work only on higher rpm's and act as vacuum secondaries. I will be running a 215 air correction jet on the center carb to lean it out at for the higher rpm's. The tillotson's have an adjustable jet so I can fine tune when and how much fuel is added to the engine. Here's a pic of an older tripower intake...  13689.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Well I never! Thats a really neat idea, the way you describe it. Fascinating. What a brilliant piece of kit. 😎

Aren't Tillotson garden machinery manufacturers? Are they lawn mower carbs or something? Or did they make the kit themselves.

(PS I loved your cabrio hood thread on the Samba - very inspirational)

UserPostedImage
Ninamashr
16 years ago
Thank you JD for those kind words. I try share information as much as possible. Tillotsons were actually used on late 40's to 50's era Crosleys like this one below. They have a 25mm venturis which match real well with ea side of a 36hp. They don't have accelerator pumps and work strickly on vacuum. The tripowers were made by a company in Michigan I think, but, I am not sure. I'm sure I can make it work, the adjustable jets of the tillotsons is what makes it viable. I'm not sure what the hp gain, if any, will be??!? I just like the way it looks. If I get a little more get up and go, that will be a bonus.

13701.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
Bengt H
16 years ago
Realy nice!
I have never ever seen or even heard of ths kind of carburating, good luck and keep us informed of the progress.
Ninamashr
16 years ago
Thank you Bengt, I had never seen this carburator setup also, but I like the way it looks. I just finished tearing apart my engine, if everything goes right, I should be driving by February. 😃
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
Ninamashr
16 years ago
I'm almost ready to install it my vert, it came out pretty good I think?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago
Love the organ pipe look 😃 and the satin finish on the tinware. What were the claims to performance for this set-up?
John.
Ninamashr
16 years ago

Love the organ pipe look 😃 and the satin finish on the tinware. What were the claims to performance for this set-up?

"lifeintheslowlane" wrote:

Those stacks are beadblasted stainless steel which makes them look like a satin metalic and it matches the tin pretty good. As far as performance I don't really know. If it runs good I'll be happy just as well.
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
Ninamashr
16 years ago
I'm finally finished! It runs pretty good, I can't jump on the engine until it's broken in but so far it runs good! Took a little while to figure out how to smoothly transfer to the Tillotsons but it does work fine.

UserPostedImage

I'm pretty happy with it 🙂
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Looks great - good work. 😃
UserPostedImage
Ninamashr
16 years ago

Looks great - good work. 😃

"JD" wrote:

Thx JD, it was a fun project.
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Does it feel quicker, or is it too soon to say?
UserPostedImage
Ninamashr
16 years ago
JD I can't really say if it's quicker yet. I only have about 10 miles on the rebuilt engine, so I'm going to take it easy. Once the engine is completely broken in I'll start to play with the carbs and find out.
1957 Vert " Franky"
1957 Allstate trailer